• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Power steering judder

chopperead

UK 940 turbo

Had judder from steering so changed pump to new remained one no joy.

So also changed steering rack to new remained and still have a judder when parked up and on slow hard turns.

Any ideas on what to look out for as this has gone on to long now.

Much appreciated

Have you checked the harmonic balancer/crank pulley? It's common for them to slip at the rubber isolater.

B230Balancer1.jpg

B230Balancer2.jpg

How would a bad harmonic balancer cause "power steering judder?"

The HB is separate from the PS pump and steering assembly.

When they fail the cars performance suffers, but I cannot see how it would affect steering.

Balancer was fine no slip.

Just played around and it's still struggling.

When I was bleeding system on sale stands I was going lock to lock no problem.

Now I can't even get lock to lock it seems like it's blocked and is restricted by about 40%.

Like I say new track and pump wtf !

Please please help me fix this.

It's a bitch but you probably take it off and feel if it's smooth and articulates as it should. You could try spraying some pb blaster or the like on it and try to notice a difference in the steering...maybe...

How's the belt? Old and shiny can slip, even if properly tight.

Supply hose from the reservoir to the pump in good shape? Rubbery and not hard as a rock? It's possible for a hose clamp to be slightly loose, or the hose too hard to clamp properly, and allow air to be sucked into the pump. That could cause "judder" without loss of fluid.

Just for kicks, have you checked the u-joints on the steering wheel shaft?

What do I look for ?
Up in the air, engine off, slowly turn the wheel lock-to-lock, feeling for any binding. If one of the joints is getting stiff, you'll feel resistance at a few spots on the way around, usually 180 degrees apart... loose-tight-loose-tight-loose-tight.

Some good things to try there thanks much appreciated.

This whole episode started when I took the pump fed hose of to get to something and although I clamped it off it obviously list some fluid and gained done air in system and since then I've been unable to get rid of the judder.

Think I will grab a new hose for good measure and will grease up the Uj's.

Much appreciated

Did you bleed the steering system? You bleed it by putting the car on jack stands and rotating the steering from lock to lock gently about 10 times.

I know others dont' believe in snake oil. But I do and have had positive experience with Moly Slip additive in steering racks.

Trust me I went over kill on the bleed.

Engine off lock to lock endless times
Fuel fuse out cranked for short time then lock to lock
Repeat advice few times
Then cranked with no fuse while lock to locking
Then fuse in and started turned off shortly after checked for bubbles and then lock to lock
Then started let get warm then lock to lock

Fluid is nice and clean especially as been flushed so many times recently and wasted litres of power steering fluid.

Still haven't had chance to test above.

The engine should be idling when you bleed the power steering system. Up on jackstands idling. Go lock to lock ten times. Idling. The pump must be running to pump the fluid and air to the reservoir where it can leave the system.

I have a similar issue, about to look at the balancer. When you checked it, did you mark it with paint like hiperf shows? It would be hard to notice relative movement of two objects rotating at 15 revolutions/second without some form of paint indicator....

Yep marked it with paint no movement.

On stands with engine off lock to lock no binding or issues at all.

Slight residue around feed hose into pump so not sealing perfectly unsure how to improve this, new hose is Volvo only ?50 part.

I think my issue might be related to the exhaust supports, since my exhaust doesn't have a flex joint. Raise your car and wiggle (with decent force) the front muffler/resonator- mine would shake the transmission, indicating the need for either stiffer trans mount or better exhaust supports, or flex joint. I think the steering load would make the system vibrate at a harmonic of the system... the mounts are solid rubber, not tuned hydraulic ones that are on modern cars...

Just more ideas for you to check as I continue to explore mine's symptoms

On testing this problem ive encountered a separate oil leak that i need to sort first, so i wont confuse this post with a different issue but will be picking this issue up again later.

Thoughts though are that i will look to replace the hoses as these are the only thing unchanged.

Which hoses could cause the judder all of them ?

Im finding it difficult to find the hose that goes from the reservoir to the power steering pump (presume this is called the feed hose ).

Obvious can go to Volvo but its ?50 which is crazy especially as its not a banjo type hose just plain hose has anyone used a generic hose or an alternative ?

Back