• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hi All

essexboydave

Hi I've got myself an 740 auto estate rat car but since I registered on here it's become apparent that it's got a serious oil circulation problem and doesn't seem to be getting oil to the top of the engine. I reckon the old girl will be going to the breakers so pretty soon I'll be the new member without a car to talk about :-(
Shame as I've had the car some years and she's been good until now :-(

Welcome to the asylum. :-P Which Essex are you at; UK, Canada (Ontario), or one of the many more probables in the US and colonies? ;-)

I'm in the UK, I never knew there was an Essex in Canada! You learn something new each day :)

I'm having to work on my car outside the front of my house and swapping engines is just not viable as the ground is not solid enough for an engine hoist and the neighbours would cause far too much fuss about it! Besides which from an economical aspect the car, even if it had a good engine, is only worth around ?500 so it just wouldn't be worth the hassle and expense,

Yeah, it's in the bottom left corner of Ontario just across the river from Detroit. There were some big car plants there in the city of Windsor, but there's not so much now due to the US financial crisis. As for me, I was asking about the UK Essex as I was born in Rainham (South Hornchurch) Essex on Sept. 7th 1940. This came in useful later on when we moved to Canada (Toronto) in 1953. After I got my driver's licence in '57, me and some friends used to run down to Niagara to go under-age drinking across the river in the US. Back then, border crossing was a lot easier than now as all you needed was an Ontario birth certificate or driver's licence and as I only had a drivers licence they always asked me where I was born, I always told them Essex County. Now most Americans would add "County" when talking about a county, so naturally the US Customs guys let me in as they thought I was born in ... well I guess you know the end of this story. ;-)

nowadays being born in the UK but trying to cross the US-Canada border just causes a s***storm. I coudla nailed him as a brit from his OP John.

estate, reckon, breakers.
stationwagon, figure, scrapper :p

welcome aboard, we still welcome those who had, or are wanting, volvos. Theres a dude on here from england who has a ratlook 9 series estate he's swapping a rover V8 in, I think he has a ratlook 850 estate too. can't remember his name for the life of me.

Yeah, it's in the bottom left corner of Ontario just across the river from Detroit. There were some big car plants there in the city of Windsor, but there's not so much now due to the US financial crisis. As for me, I was asking about the UK Essex as I was born in Rainham (South Hornchurch) Essex on Sept. 7th 1940. This came in useful later on when we moved to Canada (Toronto) in 1953. After I got my driver's licence in '57, me and some friends used to run down to Niagara to go under-age drinking across the river in the US. Back then, border crossing was a lot easier than now as all you needed was an Ontario birth certificate or driver's licence and as I only had a drivers licence they always asked me where I was born, I always told them Essex County. Now most Americans would add "County" when talking about a county, so naturally the US Customs guys let me in as they thought I was born in ... well I guess you know the end of this story. ;-)

I was born in Dagenham in 57, a town also known for it's car plant, I also lived in Rainham very briefly in 78 but live in Suffolk now.

nowadays being born in the UK but trying to cross the US-Canada border just causes a s***storm. I coudla nailed him as a brit from his OP John.

estate, reckon, breakers.
stationwagon, figure, scrapper :p

welcome aboard, we still welcome those who had, or are wanting, volvos. Theres a dude on here from england who has a ratlook 9 series estate he's swapping a rover V8 in, I think he has a ratlook 850 estate too. can't remember his name for the life of me.

Yeah nobody says 'estate" here.. Only confusing thing is he's in Essex and has a volvo.. Sumpin just isn't right about that. Essex is Ford country...I didn't even know they allowed any other cars in Essex....

Oi, OP, where ya at in Essex, it's a big county.

And as for Essexes, we have an excess of Essexes out here.
Your ancestors weren't very creative when they come over and stole the land, lookie:

In Canada

Essex, Ontario
Essex County, Ontario
Essex (electoral district)

In the United States

Essex, California (disambiguation)
Essex, Humboldt County, California
Essex, San Bernardino County, California
Essex, Connecticut
Essex, Illinois
Essex, Iowa
Essex, Maryland
Essex County, Massachusetts
Essex, Massachusetts
Essex, Montana
Essex Township, Michigan (in Clinton County)
Essexville, Michigan (in Bay County)
Essex, Missouri
Essex County, New Jersey
Essex Fells, New Jersey
Essex County, New York
Essex, New York
Essex, Ohio
Essex, Vermont (town, in Chittenden County)
Essex Junction, Vermont (village, in town)
Essex County, Vermont
Essex County, Virginia

When it comes to place names from around Essex, there piles of those over here too. We have Maldons, Danburys,and Billericays, and Braintrees, Brentwoods and Chelsfords, Colchesters, and Walthams and Sudburys and Dartmouths and on and on...

Edit, OOOooooh I see......now you're in Suffolk, eh?

Been thru there enough times.. Walked from the train station in Ipswich to Coddenham a very cold December night way back in 1970. know my mate Dave Bickers?

Last edited:
John, (good name BTW :) ) you may have more Essexes than we have, but our Essex (Ontario) was the home of the Ford Windsor engine. ;-)

Dave, my Dad worked at Ford Dagenham as a machinist after the war until we moved to Canada.

John V I've heard of Dave Bickers, he's quite a famous character round here, but never actually met him!

John2x240 I did my apprenticeship as a toolmaker in Fords Dagenham River Plant and I worked there from 73 until 85 where I think I spent most of my time making motorcycle parts for me and my mates!

Back