• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16vt doesnt want to get in time

Do you have pull-ups on both circuits? (JP7 jumpered on the expansion card and R57 on the main board populated)

Tach not working is an entirely separate issue. You'll have to do the relay trick with that.

Last edited:
Do you have pull-ups on both circuits? (JP7 jumpered on the expansion card and R57 on the main board populated)

Tach not working is an entirely separate issue. You'll have to do the relay trick with that.

Jp7 has a little almost like a "H" metal piece thru it, assuming that's it being jumpered then yes.

As for r57 there is nothing but 2 dots of solder.

Is there a write up for the relay trick? I can check later, just a pain to search on my phone

Tach relay diagram from msExtra Hardware Manual
HiVTacho.GIF

You're going to need to populate R57 with a 1k ohm resistor. Without a pull-up you're relying on the ECU to trigger on a floating collector and as you've already seen it doesn't work that well.

You're going to need to populate R57 with a 1k ohm resistor. Without a pull-up you're relying on the ECU to trigger on a floating collector and as you've already seen it doesn't work that well.

cool so the tach is something seperate then the 2 things you had me check on the board correct?

i think im going to take the board to a electronics repair to solder on the resistor so i dont burn it up

No, it has to do with the tach. When the factory ignition coil fires it sends a high voltage pulse back through the ground wire on the coil. If you read about "flyback" in the MS manual, this is what they're talking about. The factory tach was made to detect this high voltage pulse. Some tachs work with a 12v signal that the MS produces, some others need a higher voltage to work properly. By wiring a relay in the tach circuit, you're producing the same high voltage pulse the coil normally would.

Alright I'll give that a go when I can get out to the junkyard, Nathan sent me a old thread about gsteller made about the 5 pin relay thing

i bought some 1/8th watt 1k ohm relays for the board before i did some research, on tuner studios website it says use 1/4th watt resistor. I won't run into any issues with using a small wattage resistor right?

would this work:

Last edited:
I've got a pack of regular resistors from RadioShack but it looks like the legs of them are to big for the holes on the board. I didn't see any of the smd pads at RadioShack, is there a special place to pick these up without ordering them?

Looks like little holes in the board that you could place them in with the pads right next to it. I'd rather tryn find the pads but if the regular one will do without issues tthat'd do. I'll be going to the car tomorrow and hopefully get this board done and knockout the relay to get my tach done

Instead of adding the 1K pullup resistor to the SMD pads on the v3.57 board, you can add it in the wiring harness - one end goes to the crank sensor pin, the other to Vref (+5v).

I was told you'd need one on the crank and one for the cam wires but I think ima put it on the board

Yeah, just put it on the board. No need to hack your harness. You already have a pull-up on the cam sensor, just need one for the crank sensor, which adding this resistor will do.

Yeah, just put it on the board. No need to hack your harness. You already have a pull-up on the cam sensor, just need one for the crank sensor, which adding this resistor will do.

hopefully find a reputable computer repair place who can solder. i was watching some vids on youtube of people doing their MS boards and it doesnt look like its too bad :grrr:

Back