• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Plastic speedometer cable nut disintegrated

spock345

Removed the cluster from my 1980 240 to fix a few burnt out instrument bulbs, when I was removing the speedometer cable the plastic nut holding it onto the speedometer fell apart when I so much as looked at it. Any way to fix that or am I just looking at a new cable?

Bit of a time crunch because I'd like the car to be able to get to the DMV and back on Friday for my title/registration transfer appointment (car has to be there for VIN verification).

Maybe tape it and hope?

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I have seen one of those intact. I find that the cables stay in place, though. Just make sure the cable is routed so there is no tension pulling it away from the speedo.

The cable will stay in place even if the nut is MIA. Even if there is some tension on the cable. Most of the time, the cable is going to be trying to push the cluster toward the wheel anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. When the cable finally fails, get yourself a Cofle brand cable, lube it up, then install it. That'll give you a new retainer nut.

My speedometr cable is missing something too but it was under the car on the transmision, the mechanic pointed at it and says the whole thing that should be on the transmision is gone. I have no clue what it was I dont think he knows either, and the speedo does not read any thing, never has for a year, so I use the GPS to know how fast I am

Does anyone know what thing is supposed to be on the tansmision to make the speedo work? The mechnanic got the OD working finally, someting about oil in it.

That is called the speedometer drive gear. Replacement parts may still be available or get a good used one. It provides the end to drive the square end of the cable which screws on to it at the rear of the trans.

Usually what happens on the early cars is the bolt for the speedo housing retainer falls out. Then the cable with the end piece drags on the ground until there's nothing left. If the speedometer gear fell out the OD would be leaking badly.

This is most likely what you need along with a new cable.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/J-TypeSpeedometerFlange380755.jpg
J-TypeSpeedometerFlange380755.jpg

Back