• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project BPU! DD 945 turbo

Gotta love a stubborn stud, the last one I tried to take out almost broke my toe when the housing decided to yeet itself from the vice. Luckily it hit me on the crooked one, that one is already pre-hardened

Also ditto w00 for the progress on this!

more progress. fuel system is plumbed back up (but n
171943765.jpg

There's a hefty crack in that hot side - looks like the flapper seat is ****ed... not sure how you could get in there to weld that.

it's not as bad as it looks, it's gonna ride for now. most of the 13c's and other td04's I've seen of late look fairly similar as well.

modified the manifold and turbine housing for this part
171946315.jpg

also did a little opening of the collector area (didn't full on match the k24, but it necks down fairly fast anyway so it'll be fine), nothing special or big so no pics there.

clocked by eyeball (and it looks good on the car too, so I'm gonna leave the positioning and make any needed minor adjustments with the chra, but it looks about perfect too)
171946316.jpg

bolted up briefly to check things
171946352.jpg

discovered the lower coolant fitting is the same size as the 13c coolant lines, this will make things a bit easier to connect the water lines (Although that top one is special, I think I can make it work), also laid out how the gate is going to attach up
171946317.jpg

cut up another volvo part for sacrificial alu blocks for a second attachment point on the gate bracket.
171946318.jpg

haters will say that wasn't a volvo part...

not pictured, oil feed is off, oil cooler is floating loose. today's gonna be a short day at work, so I'm gonna probably wrap it up in the shop, try and get the GTO test driven to make sure it's as good as I can get it (friggin stock ecus, been manipulating like 3 numbers to get a nice idle to reverse to drive to neutral to drive to reverse to drive to... transition without setting the idle so high that the car drives off on it's own or tries to drive through the brakes), might cut the grass this morning and then start working on the car again. I'm waiting on a fair amount of little fitting bits and bobs for the turbo install. things seem to be going well though, hopefully this weekend I can get the exhaust wrapped up, all of the fuel system wiring done, intercooler mounted, and be left with some relatively benign stuff coming out of sunday (maybe just bolting the turbo up, that sort of thing) so I have time to get other things sorted out (alignment, charge piping, maybe window tint..ooo.. all of those places are within a block or two from each other).

on a side note-is there anything special about headliner material?

not much progress to speak of yesterday, going to work on exhaust more than likely today, ran into some welding (talent) issues last night with the alu block for the wastegate, but that was later in the evening.. going to see if I can get it cleaned up and working better, and/or call in a stunt double. not looking for beautiful, but it wasn't wanting to stick at all. not sure if there's an issue with the shielding gas, or if the nastiness on the compressor cover is even nastier than I was thinking.

did get the exhaust flange worked out though, the GTO is gone (guy said it drove good, best it's ever driven), but they did leave me with a belaire to basically do the same thing with. it'll get the gto tuneup and a dyno verification/cleanup... buuut that won't be today and probably won't be tomorrow. (they're not in any rush atm)

got greg to hook it up on the compressor cover (didn't want to be paid, no worries, turned around and bought $85 worth of vband/flex/o2 bung, and he's gonna be doing the intercooler piping)

exhaust progress is going along ok, it being football season, saturdays are tough on the ol attention span. downpipe is basically mocked up and tacked up though, if I escape the house here in a minute I'll pull it off, weld it up, see what moved, and progress rearwards. I have enough 'stuff' to plumb the oil lines on the turbo and crank the car if I want, I will probably do that ahead of the ms install, if for no other reason than to check for leaks.

pics to come later, but I'm fairly pleased with the downpipe thus far.

mockup pics. gonna have to go back over it with the tig, the mig skillz just weren't what they needed to be.

171951784.jpg

171951785.jpg

171951786.jpg

171951787.jpg

171951788.jpg

I think it turned out decent. gotta figure out where I want the o2 sensor bung. I stopped just aft of the cat last night (so flex, vband, cat, and angle up to resonator before the over the axle piece, then out the back thru a muffler), still shooting to be done with it today and move on to wiring and probably getting the turbo installed. depends on outside factors (of which there are many)

it's not really a big problem down here, I have parts laying around that are a decade old. Stainless welds up a lot better (for me) usually, but it's not a big deal here.

figured out where the big hangup was on the v8 car's old exhaust:
171955034.jpg

3in resonator necks down to 1.75 or so. it didn't collapse, that's how it was made... :-/

anyway, so after finding that, I opted not to use it on the black wagon (was gonna put 2 resonators on there along with the rear muffler and cat, but eh. if it needs more to tone it down, I have space for that)

middle piece of the exhaust (cat and resonator-not pictured)
171955030.jpg

resonator
171955031.jpg

over the axle.. this got a little gappy on me, and it turns out, not all of the bends were a very consistent diameter. not likely to cause problems with the power level I'm targeting, but something to keep in mind in the future.
171955032.jpg

rough welded up, will go back over it this evening and make sure it's good to go.
171955033.jpg

did get a lot of time side-tracked this weekend, but I still more or less ended up where I wanted to be. going to strive to have it to a point tonight where I could potentially crank it up.

downpipe is just about finished, going over the midpipe section shouldn't take too long, then the rear piece (over the axle part) will be somewhere between the mid pipe and downpipe in terms of time to finish..

so a quick state-of-the-union (waiting on dinner down at the house):

turbo install:
-drill and tap bolt holes for gate
-'adjust' lower coolant line
-'adjust' upper coolant line
-install block fitting, re-install oil filter adapter
- bolt up turbski

install exhaust:
-finish welding errrthang
-pick spot for o2, weld that on
-toss it all up in there

hook up coolant lines
hook up/tighten oil lines (tried to pop the cooler lines off the sandwitch adapter, but they didn't want to cooperate, one is loose and oozing)
add water and oil

prime and flush the feed line (no run, just crank)
wire up the pump in the back, hook up filler lines, tuck wiring for pump & amp.
put gas in 'er
bolt up rear wheels after leak-checking (key cycle prime and/or jumping the relay)
adjust driver's side strut mount (changed position on passenger side, need to at least get it in the ballpark lol)
install longer studs
cobble together enough intercooler piping to get the car to greg's shop for the new piping (well, new hot side pipe and modified cold side pipe), and the alignment shop around the corner.

then it's back and installing the ms as well as the new stereo, and figuring out what's involved with the headliner (at least to take it down in one piece cause it be saggin' and you know what happens next).

fun times. gonna try and sneak it onto the dyno to get the tune decent, but I reckon we'll see how that pans out.

I hurt this morning. up college late, trying to hit targets. hit most of em (despite the 2x rule and 3x rule being in full effect.. normal tasks take twice as long, and nominal tasks take 3x)

didn't get to the wiring part, but I'll make time for that this morning whilst catching meetings from the shop.
anyway, pics

exhaust
171956724.jpg

it'll get hit up with some 2000 degree vht paint

the turbo that took friggin' 2 hours to set up.. every... single... little... thing...
171956723.jpg

one of the faster mods it required
171956722.jpg

installed!
171956720.jpg

At that point I should have stopped, but.. I couldn't help myself.
o2 sensor location
171956721.jpg

aannd welded up and bolted up
171956719.jpg

view from the back forward. thankfully the exhaust didn't move much during welding. rear muffler sits a touch higher and the center piece was a bit of a tug to get to the vband, (which may be why the rear muffler is a little higher), but all in all it's livable I think. Hopefully today there will be sound bites of it running at some point.

Is that oxygen sensor location going to be making the sensor point down? It kind of looks like it from here and that usually isn't great for the sensor. Otherwise, can't wait!

ran out of gas tonight after burning most of it last night. got the return fitting, discovered that my genius plan was a 45 degree fitting away from perfection...so the return still isn't plumbed. no worries, that will allow me to slow down just a little and work on everything else whilst waiting for the amazonian. (read: gonna go ahead and do the wiring, install the ms and injectors, and try and sort out all the other things like the oil cooler relocation that I didn't know I had to do lol)

so yeah, from the list:
turbo install:
-drill and tap bolt holes for gate
-'adjust' lower coolant line
-'adjust' upper coolant line
-install block fitting, re-install oil filter adapter
- bolt up turbski

install exhaust:
-finish welding errrthang
-pick spot for o2, weld that on
-toss it all up in there

those items are "done-ish", the return line isn't hooked up yet and I gotta flush the feed line still, so it's not tightened down yet. water lines should be a quick thing tomorrow, already eyeballed them and that's not too big a deal.

the oil cooler movement though, that one is gonna be a little more interesting. got a couple ideas, probably my favorite is sandwiching it between the condenser and rad for now, under the intercooler (if that's even possible), or maybe moving it over a little. it's just enough in the way to be completely obnoxious. I'm also interested in retaining the charcoal canister, so that kinda crowds things over there as well.
so that, the fuel pump wiring and tank plumbing (what's left, which isn't much) are high on the list for tomorrow, would be nice to have it sitting on the ground at some point as well so I can get an idea of how to adjust things. Oh yeah, and the wheel studs. that'll be probably after ride height is adjusted. depending on how long all of that takes, I'll move forward on the list of things to do.

Back