home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 AM   #501
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I put in new injectors and cranked up the fun valve. The rear suspension pretty much immediately started making even more noises. So I figured I've been putting it off long enough and yanked the turd out.

One of the caliper pistons was seized, maybe explains the slight pedal mushiness. Those shocks are like, not even 2 years old, and they're OEM. They don't extend on their own at all anymore. Billies, that I bought for the wagon a long time ago and never installed, will be taking their place.

Also my door handle broke. That was annoying.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #502
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I chopped 1 coil off each spring and boxed the trailing arms. New torque rod bushings, all others are reused from the wagon, including the glorious spherical TABs. Also stainless brake lines, OEM pads, and all new parking brake bits. It stops good now. Stock sway bar because I haven't found a cheap 25mm front bar that will work.

Drives a little funny with the front end still being completely original, but it handles way nicer. Rides a little firmer but still nice. Powertrax clunk in low speed turns is annoying, but totally worth it. First/reverse shudder is still there but greatly reduced.. Soft carrier mount maybe? Also what's the point of the cup thingy on the axle end of the panhard? I think it's hitting my exhaust.

The parking brake.. Assembling that crap was a big PITA. It's new shoes and new hardware that came with the wagon in a box. It does work, but not that well. Can't hold on a steep driveway like it could on the old axle. Barely slows me down if I rip it with all my might while coasting. Shoes have to wear in, I guess?

Old TAB:

The torque rods looked the same.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #503
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Car is running great. Running on Deka 80lb injectors now cause I was hitting 95% duty on the cheapie 42lbs. I found flow/voltage numbers somewhere for an 016, plugged those in, and that fixed my weird low rpm/load lean spiking. Awhile back I gave it a whackload of timing and it's loving it.

Anyway.. I procrastinated ordering new snow tires until today, cause my old ones turned into slicks for some reason, and uhh.. Slammed her into a packed snowbank sidewards trying to not get stuck with my Yokohomas. Locker is surprisingly useless when your tires don't grip worth a damn.

Not very visible, but there's a really big and shallow dent. I don't really care about the dent, I just feel dumb for causing it.

Also I put in more ventilation to help with the whole blowby and oil leak thing. Either valve cover gasket or cam plug, probably both. Hasn't been on there long but it stopped leaking from the cap, so that tells me it's helping. (Reused the old seal, old cap felt just as tight screwing it on.)

Car's been pretty good lately, other than a few electrical gremlins. One of my megasquirt wires wasn't actually soldered so it just randomly lost spark on me at one point. Also my headlight switch failed and I lost all exterior lights while doing about 50 on a completely dark road. That wasn't much fun. I actually managed to fix the switch but the ceramic cracked putting it back together and it fell apart a couple days later.

Also this thing wheel hops in the rain. It's annoying. The wagon did it too, I don't really know why. Didn't do it on these tires with the open diff and ruined bushings.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #504
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Also this thing wheel hops in the rain. It's annoying. The wagon did it too, I don't really know why. Didn't do it on these tires with the open diff and ruined bushings.
Is the wheel hop there in the dry? I wonder if the ****ty tires and not-completely-clapped-locker make the locker lock up (ie. it's more sensitive than you thought?).

I still love the catch can, and the absolute mud it seems to gather.

You bringing this to SE in late April so Kenny can tune it for all the power?
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #505
redblockpowered
Board Member

Just checked in to this thread to find that you were the guy my buddy in the Cobalt was telling me about at Palmer, small world...
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote