• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spring recommendations for an Amazon

spock345

What are folks' experiences with the array of springs out there for the Amazon/P1800 cars? I am looking at possibly upgrading the springs as the next thing after I get the cooling system comfortable with inland CA heat. Maybe a set of lowering springs for that ~1" drop. I've noticed classic swede's stuff is popular and VP offers a set of linear springs (looks like it is the same set as IPD).

My current suspension setup is polyurethane bushings in the front, KYB gas shocks, 1" front swaybar, and no rear bar.

Choose springs to what you want out of the car.
What are your typical roads like? Nice smooth road, a bit bumpy, creators you can loose a car in or gravel tracks?
How do you drive? Cruise around slow, the next Tom Trana, an aspiring Rickard Rydell or keep up with modern traffic and the odd spirited drive?
How do you use the car? Only ever me the driver, often have it loaded with passengers or I use it like a builders van and tow often?
How much lower/higher do you want to go? Bear in mind the answer to the above questions are going to limit what is best on this side of things.

Choose springs to what you want out of the car.
What are your typical roads like? Nice smooth road, a bit bumpy, creators you can loose a car in or gravel tracks?
How do you drive? Cruise around slow, the next Tom Trana, an aspiring Rickard Rydell or keep up with modern traffic and the odd spirited drive?
How do you use the car? Only ever me the driver, often have it loaded with passengers or I use it like a builders van and tow often?
How much lower/higher do you want to go? Bear in mind the answer to the above questions are going to limit what is best on this side of things.

The roads where I live are a mix. Some are wonderful but most places are a bit bumpy with the occasional cratered hellscape that I try to avoid. Mostly I keep up with modern traffic and spirited driving when on back roads.

I'd like to plan for a single passenger in the front seat and suitcase or two in the trunk. I'd entertain lowering it a bit, like an inch or so.

Years ago when refurbishing the 123GT I bought springs from Yankee trading company. They were stock height but 20% stiffer than stock. With a front IPD bar, no rear bar and stock 123GT front shocks. Even with stock 165 tires. The handling was super fun and could handle all the crappy roads. You can probably get springs like this from one of the venders like VP or Classic Swede. They were referred to as a rally spring.

I've got some V performance progressive front springs that I tried on my 142 for a while that you can have. I trimmed the bump stops a little but they still hit when cornering. I ended up with Classic Swede linear springs which I like better.
Still, if you want to try the V performance ones they're just sitting around collecting dust. Of course, we're talking 122 vs 142.
Found this: Stock, V-Perf, Classic Swede:
kJUg7Bw.jpg

I've got some V performance progressive front springs that I tried on my 142 for a while that you can have. I trimmed the bump stops a little but they still hit when cornering. I ended up with Classic Swede linear springs which I like better.
Still, if you want to try the V performance ones they're just sitting around collecting dust. Of course, we're talking 122 vs 142.
Found this: Stock, V-Perf, Classic Swede:

Interesting comparison. What exactly do you like better about the classic swede springs over the VPD ones (I assume the classic swede ones still require trimmed bump stops)? Do The 142 ones work in the Amazon? I'd assume they would at least have a different spring rate.

It's hard to remember since it's been a few years but looking at the bump stops, I've cut the first tier off. I think I cut this off when I installed the V perf springs and this is what they hit. The Classic Swede springs don't hit the same trimmed bump stops. That's really it. The Classic Swede springs are linear and seem to be matched (approximately) to the 142.
I offered the V perf springs because I'll be up in SF next week and possibly taking the 5 to the 580.
Link to a picture of stock 140 bump stops-
https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar/rubber-cushion-wishbone-lower-140-164-24.html

*edit- the springs look the same but don't know if they officially fit the Amazon.

140 front springs are slightly larger OD than amazon springs.
I have replaced a few sets of VPD springs due to sagging problems and that is a common known issue with them but you could still try them.

If you want to go quick on the rougher roads then the rally springs would be the ones to go for. Going 40mm lowering will still allow you decent pace on teh rougher roads but if you are not fussed about bringing it down I would not lower it.

140 front springs are slightly larger OD than amazon springs.
I have replaced a few sets of VPD springs due to sagging problems and that is a common known issue with them but you could still try them.

If you want to go quick on the rougher roads then the rally springs would be the ones to go for. Going 40mm lowering will still allow you decent pace on teh rougher roads but if you are not fussed about bringing it down I would not lower it.

In an ideal world some stiffer springs but maintaining the stock ride height would be nice. I wouldn't need to worry about suspension geometry and such. I assume you mean the rally springs your site mentions? About how much stiffer than stock would you say they are? What would be a good shock to match them too? Right now I have KYB gas-a-justs.

Also I understand the idea of progressive springs in theory, but I guess I am still iffy on what difference they make in practice.

From what I can tell my options are VP lowering springs, IPD (I'd wager very similar to VP), VPD (I would get them from Frank), and the plethora of options you've got.

The front rally springs are just over double the original rate for the front and about 50% stiffer rear. Bear in mind with motion ratio that is about 50% stiffer front and rear for wheel rate. Dampers I like the GAZ dampers but the KYB's would likey be ok

Progressive springs give you more travel but you are always driving on the stiffer part of the spring. The extra travel can help a little with ride comfort and can also reduce wheel lift on hard cornering.

The front rally springs are just over double the original rate for the front and about 50% stiffer rear. Bear in mind with motion ratio that is about 50% stiffer front and rear for wheel rate. Dampers I like the GAZ dampers but the KYB's would likey be ok

Progressive springs give you more travel but you are always driving on the stiffer part of the spring. The extra travel can help a little with ride comfort and can also reduce wheel lift on hard cornering.

Ok, where would you put them in terms relative to the difference between 240 stock springs and the stiffer 242 GT springs? Trying to give some experiential context to the math.

Glad to help with whatever tidbits I can bring forth. Sorry, I should have said Yankee Trading may still exist but they stopped working on classic Volvos many years ago. The owner told me he was going to move to Thailand with his family.

I would go for the Rally springs from Classic Swede if I was buying now. I don't like a lowered Amazon. Makes that crossmember too close for comfort for me. Years ago what made me buy the rally springs was my car bottoming out on railroad tracks and punching the oil drain plug up into the oil pan. Didn't leak thankfully.

Back