• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

High performance radiator for 740 T6 swap

poulrais

Anyone can suggest a good aftermarket radiator for my T6 swap in a 740? I want as much cooling efficiency as I can get and fit in front of the car. I was thinking about using a 960/S90 rad I have but I'd rather go with something more performance orientated.

What you should put effort in is to seal off so _all_ air entering grille and lower spoiler air intake will pass through cooler and not around it.
I think start with the wide and high 960 cooler and stock electrical fan with shroud. Its pretty good actually.

What you should put effort in is to seal off so _all_ air entering grille and lower spoiler air intake will pass through cooler and not around it.
I think start with the wide and high 960 cooler and stock electrical fan with shroud. Its pretty good actually.

OK I will check it out. The big 960 rads I have at hand are not in the best shape so for the price of a brand new one I thought I could get a good aftermarket radiator as efficient as the 960's with a smaller footprint.

Thanks for the comment!

I have an old school brass radiator (240/early 740 style) that works well for that if you need it. A good shroud makes all the difference also, which is similar to what he ^ was saying. And you can also add the A/C fan from a 7/9 to the front of the radiator if needed. I have those also if you need one haha.

If you want an all aluminum aftermarket rad, Speedway and Champion are good, and cheaper if you don't need the auto trans cooler in it. Aluminum is up pretty high right now so the prices are almost double what they were a year ago.

I have an old school brass radiator (240/early 740 style) that works well for that if you need it. A good shroud makes all the difference also, which is similar to what he ^ was saying. And you can also add the A/C fan from a 7/9 to the front of the radiator if needed. I have those also if you need one haha.

If you want an all aluminum aftermarket rad, Speedway and Champion are good, and cheaper if you don't need the auto trans cooler in it. Aluminum is up pretty high right now so the prices are almost double what they were a year ago.

I have a bunch of efans laying around that I will probably use and yes, good shrouding is essential for both the intercooler and the rad.

No need for the auto trans cooler since I'm swapping a CD009 and will get a separate trans oil cooler for this.

I will check these Speedway and Champion rads. Are they for sale on Summit Racing?

I bought my Champion from Ledfoot Racing because they make matching shroud and fan kits. The rads are on Summit. I used a 3 row Corvette C4 setup, but it is wider than the late 940 setup. You have to look at them to determine what fitment is acceptable to you though.

Speedway is on https://www.speedwaymotors.com/?gcl...bG7T2QI1Dnq-kpg5deT12iUUormAdyFsaAsw7EALw_wcB

Another option is to measure the space you have, go on ebay, search Universal aluminum radiator, and narrow the search by size.

I bought my Champion from Ledfoot Racing because they make matching shroud and fan kits. The rads are on Summit. I used a 3 row Corvette C4 setup, but it is wider than the late 940 setup. You have to look at them to determine what fitment is acceptable to you though.

Speedway is on https://www.speedwaymotors.com/?gcl...bG7T2QI1Dnq-kpg5deT12iUUormAdyFsaAsw7EALw_wcB

Another option is to measure the space you have, go on ebay, search Universal aluminum radiator, and narrow the search by size.

Nice!
Thanks for the infos!

Hope it helps. Pretty much any of the aftermarket rads are ok, the thing that happens to the super cheap ones is the end caps can balloon if you get a bit too hot, but they don't blow out. They just end up looking a bit funny. The Chinese learned how to furnace braze so the prices have come down a lot except for material cost. What was a $120 rad last year is now a $200+ this year, aluminum price is pretty high right now.

The good thing with 960 is that it extends down through the front cross brace giving it more area than what I guess most aftermarket?
Are you having Nissen or Valeo branded big 960 radiators available in US?
I think you should start there, and if not sufficient go for a good aftermarket. But as I said make sure to get air into the cooler and to pass through it not around. :)

Pull old radiator out.
Measure dimensions.
Summitracing.com search griffin/be cool radiators.
Find one with the right dimensions.
Purchase.
Install.
Enjoy!

The good thing with 960 is that it extends down through the front cross brace giving it more area than what I guess most aftermarket?
Are you having Nissen or Valeo branded big 960 radiators available in US?
I think you should start there, and if not sufficient go for a good aftermarket. But as I said make sure to get air into the cooler and to pass through it not around. :)

I have a pretty big intercooler to fit in front so I'm going to search for a more permanent solution because I don't want to have to redo all the mounts and shrouding if the 960 rad don't do the job.

The ones I have in hand are Volvo branded made by BlackStone. RockAuto carry the Nissens rad and they sell for $130 CAD, which is pretty reasonable I guess. The model is 65530A and they are 58.5 X 48,26 cm in size.

Nice but $400 USD plus shipping and customs to Canada will make for a $800 CAD rad... And I can't have it shipped to my US address cause your border is still closed to Canadian coming in by land.

They have a store in Ontario. I had no idea they had a U.S. store but I guess they do now.

Address: 333 Wyecroft Rd Unit 5, Oakville, ON L6K 2H2, Canada
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Thu
Phone: +1 905-825-9334
Appointments: eurosporttuning.com

This is why I posted it. Part # SKU: WC-240

Back