home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
legendarydave

Default 13c vs. 15g compressor housing

I have been unable to understand whether or not the compressor hpusings are different. I know that the turbine housings are different. I get, that the turbine wheels and compressor wheels are different. That is clear to me.

What I don't quite understand is, the difference between the two compressor housings is. Both have integral BOV. 15g wheel is only slightly larger than the 13c....Is the housing different at all? Aside from not having mounts for the B230ft style wastegate actuator, on the 15g....that tells me there is more difference between them

Is it simply a TD04 compressor housing with integral BOV, machined differently for each wheel? and wastgate act?

Or is there a stark difference between them? Can I just use a TD04HL-15g chra with the appropriate turbine housing and machine my compressor for the new comp wheel?
legendarydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Compressor housings are different. There is very little space between the wheel and housing itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
legendarydave

So, I am stuck...The best way to go 15g is a clocked fwd unit, that has a conical flange and a custom act mount....Does that sound right?

I that is the case....anyone got one they want to sell? 15g, conical xaust, RWD style wastegate act?

My exhaust is in, injectors ready, boost gauge and gillis valve are all ready to go in...just having trouble finding this turbo

fleabay has been cruel for conical seats and my local u-pull-its are fresh out of good cores
legendarydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
bigreddog
Board Member

Exclamation

Get a flat 3 bolt tdo4hl housing( can find them on low pressure glt 850s' with a 13g) Then u will have much better exhaust flow and will be able to change to a 19t later and have a reasonable ex. side.

I put the 13g that I found on my 940 and it is WAY BATTER than a 13c! I just did the 3" turbo back; and am looking to buy the 18 or 19t center and cold side to install with tlao chip,3"amm and @ 600cc inj.

Man I cant wait!! But the aw71 needs a full build first. Scratch that the car is getting the build very soon and will be here on the #1 volvo site TURBOBRICKS
bigreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Super Matty P
Bear Juden ist eine Golum

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarydave View Post
So, I am stuck...The best way to go 15g is a clocked fwd unit, that has a conical flange and a custom act mount....Does that sound right?

I that is the case....anyone got one they want to sell? 15g, conical xaust, RWD style wastegate act?
I had this exact same thread on here a few weeks ago. I also had a 13c on my 760 and was looking for a decent replacement. After much discussion I was put in touch with forum member "tryingbe'. He sold me a great refurbed 15g, clocked rwd with the actuator bracket for $440 shipped. Looks great and I know it'll be much better than the one I'm pulling off.
Try finding a running one without a dead Asian in it for $500
Super Matty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

so but nobody tried actually to fit a 13c housing on a 15g just for mockup? Is the diameter of the wheel bigger than on 13c? Thought it was just the turbine geometric??
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Compressor housing is machined to the wheel spec.

Fitting a 13c housing to a 15g wheel is like fitting a 13 inch tire to a 17 inch wheel. Not gonna work.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Get a flat 3 bolt tdo4hl housing( can find them on low pressure glt 850s' with a 13g) Then u will have much better exhaust flow and will be able to change to a 19t later and have a reasonable ex. side.
this!!!
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
ipdown
Член на форума

I run TD04HL-19T with machined 13C compressor housing. There is enough meat.
ipdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Ok.. what needs to be machined on the 13c housing to fit the 15g ?

/efit where the first question should be.. whoTF does kinda jobs around here ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
turbotankshane
Board Member

I know the guys at gpopshop will do stuff like this, they machined my cosworth turbine housing for the stage III wheel, and they were trying to talk me into letting them set up my td05-12b with a 20g wheel and housing. Then again shipping might be a bit to get it over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
Ok.. what needs to be machined on the 13c housing to fit the 15g ?

/efit where the first question should be.. whoTF does kinda jobs around here ;)
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote