home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > events

Old 11-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
rb92673
Board Member

Default 24HoL Sonoma Dec 4&5

Anyone else on here racing next weekend at 24 Hours of Lemons Arse-freeze at Sonoma?

I will be there with the whatever_racecar 745 crapwagon. If you’re there, stop by and tell me all the things I am doing wrong. Excited/scared to try out my super cheaty suspension upgrades from BNE.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
Anyone else on here racing next weekend at 24 Hours of Lemons Arse-freeze at Sonoma?

I will be there with the whatever_racecar 745 crapwagon. If you’re there, stop by and tell me all the things I am doing wrong. Excited/scared to try out my super cheaty suspension upgrades from BNE.
What's the rest of your setup?

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
‘12 Mazda5 - Work Car
‘06 E350 Ambulance - Work Car
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
122power
dude

Ill be there but running in a friends E30.
China turbos make lots of smoke. Lol. Not funny but funny
Looks like 147 cars signed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*

Last edited by 122power; 11-28-2021 at 02:29 PM..
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
What's the rest of your setup?
Pretty tame.
b230ft squirter with H rods, fresh bores and stock pistons
Microsquirt
Deka 80 injectors, Walbro 255
T04E with stock wastegate and 12# actuator
CD009 Trans
225/50/16s RS4s
Stock brakes with ST43 pads
BNE short struts w/ race inserts
Cage, fire suppression, etc.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
doucheNozzle

That's a good setup. Set your rear height to be flat or even a tad lower than your front.

Its a smooth track. You can setup the car to be pretty stiff.
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Ill be there but running in a friends E30.
China turbos make lots of smoke. Lol. Not funny but funny
Looks like 147 cars signed up!
I think I learned from my China turbo experience. I'm back to my old turbo with new hotside to replace the broken hotside from Thunderhill. Which E30?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
That's a good setup. Set your rear height to be flat or even a tad lower than your front.

Its a smooth track. You can setup the car to be pretty stiff.
It's about there now. Worried about rubbing, but bringing the sawzall to fix that.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
122power
dude

I run that same size on my rubiks cube wagon.
Black e30 from a spec series nothing crazy. Got to drive it at buttonwillow test day before lemons race. Pretty nice broad powerband vs the b230na. Although my friend said i could pull him in 2nd lol but thats about it. Its gonna be a little mayhem with 147 cars out there so that will be interesting. And no usual weather! Dont wanna say it to jinx it.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
Duder
laziest worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
I run that same size on my rubiks cube wagon.
Black e30 from a spec series nothing crazy. Got to drive it at buttonwillow test day before lemons race. Pretty nice broad powerband vs the b230na. Although my friend said i could pull him in 2nd lol but thats about it. Its gonna be a little mayhem with 147 cars out there so that will be interesting. And no usual weather! Dont wanna say it to jinx it.
I won't be there (again) this time - maybe March next year. Serious racing withdrawals going on over here, LOL.

I've run Sonoma several times when the car count was 150+... I'd say just be prepared for anything and everything, especially in the early hours of the race. I would usually run at like 6/10ths for the first few laps to let everyone break down, spin, and crash in front of me while leaving plenty of time to easily maneuver around them.

Watch out for that blind crest after turn 3a. One of our drivers had a sudden accident there, rear-ending a very slow car that he didn't see until it was too late. And for that matter there's another blind crest before the carousel where Eyesore destroyed the front of their Miata one year. I'm sure you know all of this already, just a reminder that everyone will stack up there much worse in the early laps, especially with a high car count.

Have fun in the E30, and OP I hope your 745 adventure goes well.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I won't be there (again) this time - maybe March next year. Serious racing withdrawals going on over here, LOL.

I've run Sonoma several times when the car count was 150+... I'd say just be prepared for anything and everything, especially in the early hours of the race. I would usually run at like 6/10ths for the first few laps to let everyone break down, spin, and crash in front of me while leaving plenty of time to easily maneuver around them.

Watch out for that blind crest after turn 3a. One of our drivers had a sudden accident there, rear-ending a very slow car that he didn't see until it was too late. And for that matter there's another blind crest before the carousel where Eyesore destroyed the front of their Miata one year. I'm sure you know all of this already, just a reminder that everyone will stack up there much worse in the early laps, especially with a high car count.

Have fun in the E30, and OP I hope your 745 adventure goes well.
150 cars is crowded, but I think the cutoff is 170? I have run full fields in a bunch of C class cars such as Overzets AMC Eagle, Crazymikes Bug, and Spanks Hyundai Excel, so being able to keep up with traffic in the 745 is nice. At least rain is not on the schedule...yet.

I'll probably skip Sonoma in March in favor of the Lucky Dog full 24 at Buttonwillow.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
122power
dude

Aww man bummer.
Yeah i remember when that diesel porsche got slammed on the carosel blind spot.
His 745 is a cool pastel blue color! Looks better than the black it used to be imop.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
Duder
laziest worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
150 cars is crowded, but I think the cutoff is 170? I have run full fields in a bunch of C class cars such as Overzets AMC Eagle, Crazymikes Bug, and Spanks Hyundai Excel, so being able to keep up with traffic in the 745 is nice. At least rain is not on the schedule...yet.

I'll probably skip Sonoma in March in favor of the Lucky Dog full 24 at Buttonwillow.
I think it's been as high as ~180. There were a few races there around 2015-2016 that were super crowded.

Good to hear no rain in the forecast but Sonoma is always nice and cold, wet, and slippery in the morning even without rain. I always remind myself of this if I'm driving the morning stint, but end up spinning anyways out of overexcitement.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
rb92673
Board Member

Had a great race. Even though I had only one team member, we had one of our best placements. 50th out of 147 total cars. Both my team mate and I set our personal best times for the track. Track was dry all weekend, but there was a 1.5 hour fog delay on Sunday.

Car ran all weekend and we had only one break down. We sent Randy Pobst out in the car for the last 30 minutes of Saturday and he immediately called that something was wrong with the steering. He brought it back to the pits and it was a sheered bolt connecting the ball joint, roll corrector and strut together. Right wheel turned, left did not. We were quickly able to get the end of the bolt out of the strut and our neighbors had one close enough in size to work. Randy immediately destroyed my best lap time on his first full lap.

New suspension worked great, didn't rub, and now I need a better diff. Car ran okay, losing power on the top end over time. By the end of Sunday it didn't pull past 5k RPM.

Got to meet 122Power, hopefully it wasn't him that I pit behind the '74 Plymouth.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #14
122power
dude

Hey dude! No we were up the main path torwards the hill. Good to hear your car ran good all weekend and finished even with a small issue.