• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B234 - 16 valve revs?

dkrause

What is the factory redline for a 234 - 16 valve engine?
For those with built 16v engines what RPM limits are you using (based on usable power) both Turbo and NA? I am planning a project and looking at transmission and rear end ratio's now. Thanks

it's relative to a number of things. stock intake manifold? I probably wouldn't turn it up much past 7k cause it's already choking at that point.

Currently I turn the gold car out to about 8100 or so. may experiment with raising that number, because the power keeps going up.. but... it's not exactly stock either.

it's relative to a number of things. stock intake manifold? I probably wouldn't turn it up much past 7k cause it's already choking at that point.

Currently I turn the gold car out to about 8100 or so. may experiment with raising that number, because the power keeps going up.. but... it's not exactly stock either.

Understatement of the year?

With some mild NA cams and slightly stiffer valve springs they willingly rev past 8k without any issues. I never used a completely stock intake, so I can’t comment on the choke point on that.
I know Harlard is looking to go to about 8500 rpm with his 16v turbo, as it just keeps making power as Kenny mentioned.

Another issue with revs much above about 7.5k or so is gonna be the accessories. The water pump, power steering don't like being revved too high all the time.

Last edited:
Another issue with revs much above about 7.5k or so is gonna be the accessories. The water pump, power steering don't like being revved too high all the time.

100% correct. If the engine is going to see sustained revs over ~5k, then an underdrive crank pulley is needed. Your PS pump will thank you.

Understatement of the year?

it's just got manifolds, intercooler, turbo, cams, springs, retainers, 'street port' job on the head, and H-beam stock replacement rods... it's still got OEM NA pistons and all that. Your big limiter to turning rpms is the relatively awful intake manifold and restrictive port inlet on the head.. you can open up (on the car head) just the first couple of inches before the divider and probably pick up a fairly significant amount of flow potential without really greatly changing how it behaves. I've turned stock cams past 7k with just springs and a better intake coupled with that level of "porting" (really more like gasket matching to a larger runner intake manifold) and they don't fall off nearly as bad.. this was on a turbo car though, so YMMV I reckon

100% correct. If the engine is going to see sustained revs over ~5k, then an underdrive crank pulley is needed. Your PS pump will thank you.

oh yeah, don't have PS on the gold car. This, and the alleged water pump cavitation situation should be considered if one is going to be roadracing at high rpms

What is the factory redline for a 234 - 16 valve engine?
For those with built 16v engines what RPM limits are you using (based on usable power) both Turbo and NA? I am planning a project and looking at transmission and rear end ratio's now. Thanks
The factory redline is 6500rpm from what I remember. We ran one in the General Leif a couple years and I expect we ran it up to 6800. It was all stock with a shortened intake manifold and removed balance shafts. People have said that the stock valve springs aren't good for anything other than stock revs and camshafts.

The stock bottom end, once balanced, is fine to higher rpm. Erland says he recommends a 7,000rpm max for the stock balancer. We are keeping our cap at 7,000rpm with the 8V now as we don't want to run into issues with the lightened factory harmonic balancer, valvetrain, transmission and/or water pump. Hah

Back