home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #26
Dan
Watching the World burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Ferrari 308 also uses the same shim as our Volvos. Of course if you say the word Ferrari then the price of the shim doubles or triples.
So do early Rabbits.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #27
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
What's reasonable guidance for a machine shop "tipping the valves" versus changing shims? Is up to ~8 thou (2 shim sizes) OK?
That's fine. I've worked on some heads that needed 1mm removed from them since they had been rebuilt so many times. No issues with valve tip wear, you just need to check the spring pressure since the installed height is way different.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #28
DavePolyakov
Board Member

The last thing, I don't have a Dremel but I'm going to buy one to clean the surfaces. What material is best on the Dremel for cleaning the valve cover and the head? I don't want to damage anything.
DavePolyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #29
Mr. V
Board Member

Which surfaces are you planning on cleaning with a Dremel?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:09 AM   #30
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePolyakov View Post
What material is best ........................for cleaning the valve cover and the head? I don't want to damage anything.
We use the generic green pot scrubber pads. Cheaper and gentler than the official "Scotchbrite" pads. Keep it wet with our bulk Brake Cleaner, and wipe often with a cleanish towel to keep any abrasive residue out of the engine.

Power tools on aluminum heads tend to make thing un-flat and leaky.

1990 740GL
515,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #31
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know you could warp things with a dremel.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Ok, so here my measurements. The first lines are my measurement with the stock cam still installed, then on the bottom are the measurement after installing the IPD turbo cam. It seems like all clearances increased a little bit. The only changes I made between measurements was swapping the shims on exhaust valves 2 and 4. Ignore that the paper says all measurements in mm. at the top and the grease all over the page.

I have read multiple sources that each list a different specified clearance so I want to make one more post here to get a final answer on correct valve clearance. Volvoclub.org says .3 to .4mm or .011 inches to .015 inches for a cold engine. The online Haynes manual says .014-.016. I've seen glesstr say .014-.018 in a previous thread as well. What is a final consensus? I'm currently leaning toward buying 6 3.80 shims and installing them on all valves other than cylinder 3 valves which are currently .016 which I believe should be fine as is. Maybe not, please lmk lol.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #33
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

When I am adjusting I aim for .015". The allowable range is wider when checking. It is something like .013" to .018" as the range of allowable clearances. Personally, I like to get the lash no larger than .016" all on a cold engine.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #34
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Thanks, all I needed to hear. I think I'll go ahead and order six 3.80mm shims. Should be mint after this.