• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B6294T questions (240 Conversion)

Adam25

Hi guys, just bought myself a B6294T twin turbo engine from a ~2002 S80, which I'll be fitting into a 240. I was wondering if anyone could confirm the rod sizes from the engine code or will I have to strip it and measure them to be sure? Also anywhere recommended to purchase steel conrods? I'm hoping they will be the same size as t5 rods?

I'm trying to find the safe power limit of the standard pistons aswell but can't find much information? I've got a twin scroll Borg Warner S200sx which I'm hoping will be good for around 450/500bhp so undecided whether to get forged pistons aswell as rods.

Thanks, Adam

Stock pistons are same as a t5. I do not know the exact version your engine has. Rod length will tell most you need to know, that would be the best bet as you suggest too. Wheter the pistons play along at those levels depends. I have seen more, afaik close to almost double of your goal but as usual anything can go wrong.

Various swedish sites sell rods. Lmr, lg speed etc. Also see savarturbo. No access to my bookmarks now.

Im working on a b6284t and the internals all look good so i am assembling it with hbeams and a light refresh (conrod bearings, piston pins). Rest all looks very good and has very small amounts of wear, of course new and all forged is nice but not worth it for my use, i rather spend the money on a maxxtuning ecu or Suspension etc.

B6284T is the "old fashion" engine with 81mm pistons and 139.5mm rods.The B6294T has the later desing with 83mm pistons and 147mm rods.

Stock pistons are same as a t5. I do not know the exact version your engine has. Rod length will tell most you need to know, that would be the best bet as you suggest too. Wheter the pistons play along at those levels depends. I have seen more, afaik close to almost double of your goal but as usual anything can go wrong.

Various swedish sites sell rods. Lmr, lg speed etc. Also see savarturbo. No access to my bookmarks now.

Im working on a b6284t and the internals all look good so i am assembling it with hbeams and a light refresh (conrod bearings, piston pins). Rest all looks very good and has very small amounts of wear, of course new and all forged is nice but not worth it for my use, i rather spend the money on a maxxtuning ecu or Suspension etc.

Both stock B6284 and B6294 pistons are actually significantly weaker than T5 pistons in my opinion/experience. Even the early one have a very high/thin ring pack with thin ring lands. Why they have different pistons when the bore/stroke is identical to a T5, I have no idea. I assumed they were the same until I exploded one.

After I broke a ring land on my B6284, I installed T5 pistons, which I had good luck with. Unfortunately they won't fit a B6294. I made about 470whp on T5 pistons and H beams for a reasonable amount of time - 15,000kms or so. Then did some upgrades and made about 540whp on the same bottom end. Sold everything shortly after so I don't know about longevity.

In my opinion a B6294 is a pretty fragile engine in stock form, but a good tune goes a long ways. Cold thermostat. Lots of radiator. Lots of cooling fan. They love to be run lean (power wise) but resist the temptation.

With an S200 stock bottom end will be fine. S200 is really on the small side for that motor.

Both stock B6284 and B6294 pistons are actually significantly weaker than T5 pistons in my opinion/experience. Even the early one have a very high/thin ring pack with thin ring lands. Why they have different pistons when the bore/stroke is identical to a T5, I have no idea. I assumed they were the same until I exploded one.

After I broke a ring land on my B6284, I installed T5 pistons, which I had good luck with. Unfortunately they won't fit a B6294. I made about 470whp on T5 pistons and H beams for a reasonable amount of time - 15,000kms or so. Then did some upgrades and made about 540whp on the same bottom end. Sold everything shortly after so I don't know about longevity.

In my opinion a B6294 is a pretty fragile engine in stock form, but a good tune goes a long ways. Cold thermostat. Lots of radiator. Lots of cooling fan. They love to be run lean (power wise) but resist the temptation.

With an S200 stock bottom end will be fine. S200 is really on the small side for that motor.

Bondo, what was your setup turbo/boost wise when you did the 470whp and the 540whp? Did you put this power through an M90?
At what power level did you brake the ringlands?

Back