• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 suspension upgrade questions

Rat Dangerous

Ive been doing tons of research and just want to hear some opinions on my plans for the beautiful 940 wagon I have. I've been using my 940 auto NA for almost a year now and just grow to love the car. To give some background I bought it at a full stage 0 with a perfect interior and 90k miles original everything. I have both front and rear stock sway bars with upgraded bilstein HD rear shocks that came with the car. After throwing my prototipo wheel in ive been having a blast with the handling of this car. I am looking to dial in the suspension and not do drivetrain mods until later on down the road when reliability isnt a factor like it is for me now. I am super convinced on getting a set of IPD wagon lowering springs and was curious how necessary it would be to get the upgraded sway bars before. All the bushings in my suspension were done before I purchased so I wont bother upgrading to poly until later so extra wear isnt necessarily an issue but its not something that I am proud of. Curious to hear others opinions about upgrading suspension.

Its not necessary to do bars before springs. I have Billy touring(which suck i want hds), ipd springs cut a little, ipd sways, and a cherry lower brace/960 brace...this thing corners real good and flat if thats whats you're looking for

Honestly the springs alone make a huge difference imo

Its not necessary to do bars before springs. I have Billy touring(which suck i want hds), ipd springs cut a little, ipd sways, and a cherry lower brace/960 brace...this thing corners real good and flat if thats whats you're looking for

Honestly the springs alone make a huge difference imo

With HD on the rear and stock in the front would the springs be ok on their own? I think I will wait on bars and just get springs but I am debating replacing my front with HD

You don't need to upgrade sway bars or even shocks if you are installing lowering springs per se.

I am using stock shocks with 50mm/40mm lowering springs and the ride is more than fine for daily driving.
I upgraded to 25/25 IPD sway bars a year or two later, just because it's very hard to find a set that doesn't cost and arm and a leg in Europe.
Ended up buying a set on here in the end.

The lowering springs tightened up the ride to get rid of the boat feeling, but the sway bars made an even bigger improvement during cornering.
I would consider the upgrade sway bars the best mod I've done to my 945.

You don't need to upgrade sway bars or even shocks if you are installing lowering springs per se.

I am using stock shocks with 50mm/40mm lowering springs and the ride is more than fine for daily driving.
I upgraded to 25/25 IPD sway bars a year or two later, just because it's very hard to find a set that doesn't cost and arm and a leg in Europe.
Ended up buying a set on here in the end.

The lowering springs tightened up the ride to get rid of the boat feeling, but the sway bars made an even bigger improvement during cornering.
I would consider the upgrade sway bars the best mod I've done to my 945.

The sway bars are enticing but I have both stock front and back sway bars on my 945. what was your setup before the 25/25 sway bars. I am just curious if it will make a noticeable difference.

The sway bars are enticing but I have both stock front and back sway bars on my 945. what was your setup before the 25/25 sway bars. I am just curious if it will make a noticeable difference.

Stock on my late (97) 945 was 22 front / 16 back.
It made an unbelievable difference, especially coming from such a small rear bar.

I don't lie when I say I can take some certain corners 15-20kmh or so faster than before without fearing for my life of rolling the car over (figuratively...) and understeering too much.

Downside with such a big rear bar is you have to be careful to not overdrive when it's wet and there's a chance the inside tire will potentially lift if you drive too spirited, although I've never noticed that happen in my case.

Too bad you dont have a sedan.
I have a set ob brand new Lesjofors 900 lowering springs for 940/740 still in the box here in Ottawa I need to move on.
Patrick

Aren't sedan and wagon springs the same?

Front springs should be the same, but rears are different. Stronger for wagon in rear presumably to account for extra weight in rear.?

Volvo Lowering Spring Set - Lesjofors 4595807- 740, 940 Sport Lowering, Sedan
Volvo Lowering Spring Set - Lesjofors 4595808 - 740, 940 Sport Lowering, Wagon

Patrick

Back