• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

IPD Turbo cam vs. V cam

Roy 940

Hi all,

as said in the title, what can I expected about torque and power gain with the IPD Turbo cam vs. the Volvo V cam?

My complete setup is in my sig...

Thanks for the comments and reply!

Alex.

Do you already have the Turbo cam?

He already has the V cam. I think he is asking what gain will I see with IPD turbo cam over V cam? Is it worth the money as an upgrade?

Roy940: how is the V cam compared to the T cam? I have just put a V cam in mine but can't drive it yet as have loads of stuff to do first. Does it pull harder up top? How much is lost on the bottom?

Cheers

Paul

Sorry, I forget to say that:

I run now the "V" cam, and I feel it run very well past 3800 RPM, but it's sluggish below
this point...

The IPD will correct it?

He already has the V cam. I think he is asking what gain will I see with IPD turbo cam over V cam? Is it worth the money as an upgrade?

Roy940: how is the V cam compared to the T cam? I have just put a V cam in mine but can't drive it yet as have loads of stuff to do first. Does it pull harder up top? How much is lost on the bottom?

Cheers

Paul

In my car, it loose a lot of very low-end torque, a little bit at mid range, but from 3800 to 6500 RPM, it pulls very hard!

The V is a very good cam, but not enough at low end for me...

As someone already asked, did you advance the V at all?

I was using the V when I swapped heads, but took it out to put the T back in when I was trying to solve some compression issues. I don't think I will put it back, with the automatic it was just too gutless in the low end for me. I didn't try advancing it, but I still think it wouldn't be enough. In a lighter car with manual transmission it would be alot better.

With V I didn't loose much bottom end power, but gained a lot torque in mid range, I have a lot of torque from 1k to 4,5k but it's n/a and carbed and overbore....soooo...

Yes, I've advanced it up to 2 deg, but I don't notice a gain at low-end...but I notice a loss at hi-revs...:-(
That's why I think about the IPD cam...

If you think the V cam is sluggish below 3800 rpm, get someone to make a custom ignition chip. Without any changes in ignition timing the IPD turbo cam wont make a world of difference and you'll bne leaving a lot of potential on the table imho. the v cam in my car works good from 1500 rpm and really wakes up at 2500+ but thats also due to the bigger turbo.

v cam vs IPD-t, my car is faster at the same boost than another 240 that I know of. But then again, not all cars are the same so it is hard to compare.

If you think the V cam is sluggish below 3800 rpm, get someone to make a custom ignition chip. Without any changes in ignition timing the IPD turbo cam wont make a world of difference and you'll bne leaving a lot of potential on the table imho. the v cam in my car works good from 1500 rpm and really wakes up at 2500+ but thats also due to the bigger turbo.

v cam vs IPD-t, my car is faster at the same boost than another 240 that I know of. But then again, not all cars are the same so it is hard to compare.

I've both Mike's chips ( ECU and EZK ), so it's not right about ignition?

well I dont know what has been done with those chips so i cant comment on those. It can be good, but if you complain about very little torque below 3000 rpm it could be from sub-optimal ignition timing.
but ignition maps aren't a 'one size fits all' affair. With a more aggressive/hi-rpm cam for example you can use more advance down low (to get some torque back) and you need less up top where the VE has increased. Lots of other variables too.

well I dont know what has been done with those chips so i cant comment on those. It can be good, but if you complain about very little torque below 3000 rpm it could be from sub-optimal ignition timing.
but ignition maps aren't a 'one size fits all' affair. With a more aggressive/hi-rpm cam for example you can use more advance down low (to get some torque back) and you need less up top where the VE has increased. Lots of other variables too.

+1
This can be right, since when I installed my V cam I advanced the timing, searchin to catch the best optimum advance for V cam, and it was considerable more advance needed than on A cam, but bottom torque is there, until I did that car was lazy till 2k...

I know 2.4 learns, but will it learn a new cam profile, or does it just make adjustments from the base maps based on knock sensor feedback (or lack thereof)? I guess those are the same thing, but how much will it advance timing if it "thinks" it can add more?

If I remember right, Mike developp his chips in his car, with an Enem V15 cam inside ( similar to the IPD cam ), so I think my loss of torque is not from the igniton...

My car was better ( at low-end ) with the "A" cam, or it's maybe because the feeling of the "V" is different...?

Back