• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Code Reader/ Scanners

ivid1940

Hi all,
I have a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon , and am looking at buying a Scanner /Reader .
Anyone have any thoughts about which one to buy , naturally I am looking at the most "Bang for my Buck" that I can get .
There appears to be a whole bunch available and I must confess I know almost nothing about them.

Thank you,
Dave

Hi all,
I have a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon , and am looking at buying a Scanner /Reader .
Anyone have any thoughts about which one to buy , naturally I am looking at the most "Bang for my Buck" that I can get .
There appears to be a whole bunch available and I must confess I know almost nothing about them.

Thank you,
Dave

check into the ones that use YOUR LAPTOP and a "dongle" (adaptor
cable that mates the OBD II port on the car to your computer)....there are
several on the market ...choose one that does what you NEED it to do
(if yer gonna need to flush codes and dial in parameters there ARE some
that do that...)

FWIW....the "OTC / Genisys EVO" is being supplanted by the new "TOUCH"
version of that scanner....you can get a BRAND NEW full factory warranty PLUS
the very latest software (when it is released next year FOR FREE) for a grand...

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-3875.aspx

the new "generic code readers / scanners" are also $300 USFRN and *DOWN*...

Thread bump. First of all hi everybody and this is my first post. I am the proud new owner of a 97 960 wagon and it?s as near a barn find without actually being found in a barn. What?s the groups experience currently with diagnostic tools? Im going to need to grab all the codes the ECUs got stored and learning what they mean. I bought the car sight unseen from photos and won?t start the adventure until it?s my garage in a few weeks.

I use the OBDII dongle from Amazon, and Torque Pro app for Android phones, it's less than $30. It only does engine codes. If you want all codes from the rest of the car, you need something more expensive.

Back