• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering Fluid Leak... What to Repace

After all that said . . . I would suggest that there is not enough difference to worry about. The CAM racks have a history of leaking on the right side and will become unbalanced on left/right pressure . . . at about 200k miles.

I've seen pictures of the U bolts of ZF racks, so as long as I make sure those and the aluminum brackets are included with whatever ZF rack I buy to replace my CAM rack, the swap should be fine? My main concern is that there'd be no place to mount those aluminum brackets and U bolts under my car since my car shipped with a CAM rack.

The car/struts/cross member mountings are the same either way.

The rack job isn't much fun, but whether the replacement rack is cam or ZF or whatever shouldn't really make it more or less miserable if the aluminum spacer thing and u-bolts and lower u-joint on the sector shaft is included.

Just buy a remanned steering rack. Lots quicker.........

I'm having a hard time finding a re-manufactured CAM geared steering rack for a decent price (on a budget). If anyone could post links to somewhere to order one for a decent price, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Or do what I did, and ****-can power steering.

Brand new meyle CAM manual rack from tie rod end to tie rod end is ~200 bucks from FCP euro.
NO fluid to leak.
No ugly ass power steering pump.
More engine bay room.
More simple.

Easy to drive too. Great feedback and turn in.

Only PITA was finding an early steering coupler/u joints. splines are different size on these cars.

I may look into that. Since this problem started, I've been driving without power steering because of the fluid leak and I don't care for it though. Do manual racks have gearing that makes turning easier than power racks that have gone out?

rack07.jpg

rack10.jpg

http://jorgenauto.com

Late to the conversation, but appropriate to my situation. I have a '92 240, and the solid line (brake line style) rusted. Suspect I will need to remove the rack to replace this. I foresee that I will need to purchase a rebuilt rack. Any thoughts, suggestions? If I need to send my rack off to be rebuilt, any idea how long it takes. Also, how long does it take to remove the rack from the car?

Also, the link from a few years ago appears to be active. Does anyone have experience with "Maval" rebuilt racks?

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1990/volvo/240/steering/steering_rack.html

Thanks everyone,

As your link shows there just isn't much on-hand stock for racks.

You will probably end up having to supply the rack to rebuild and still pay $250+ plus shipping twice. No telling how long the rebuild will take. Then, they may just respond that the rack isn't rebuildable.

Junk yard racks are not a good bet either. Most are going to have very high mileage and have no warranty at all. I bought one out of a 50k mile car, and I saw the odometer, that lasted about 10k miles before leaking.

I would search for a local shop that admits to have rebuilt a rack and find a kit. At least you can establish relations/communications with someone within reach. Be careful, there are 4+ variants of racks between 2 manufacturers over the years creating about a dozen different kits.

I have the Volvo GreenBook on rebuilding the rack if you would like a copy. Too big to send. I will have to set up access to my MS cloud.

Last edited:
Back