• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rebuild Kit for ZF steering rack?

Sorry if this is considered thread jacking, but is this an issue for '89+ cars too? Are the part store remans any good? I just replaced the power steering pump in our '89 and the power assist is only mostly back. There's still some hang up during low speed turns which makes me believe that the seals are shot. I'm not scared to rebuild with rebuilding the rack myself as long as a good seal kit is available.

No rebuilders are stocking the Volvo racks on an exchange basis now. So yes, the same problem exists for the newer style racks, too.

I believe you because I've heard this said several times before, so don't take this as argumentative. I just want to know what I'm missing. Is there something wrong with the unit listed by Cardone? Maybe it's worth trying and finding out for myself? I guess the worst that can happen is that I need to return it.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...t-26-1994/18490125-P?searchTerm=steering rack

I have replaced several local auto parts stores rebuilt racks over the years. One turned out to be a NASCAR rack. Only had power turning left.

Only choices these days is DIY or send in your rack for a rebuild. This rebuild is not rocket surgery. Anyone with some experience in this area should be able to do one. I have a digital copy of the GreenBook on the rack rebuild if you want to try it.

As long as I can get a good seal kit and way to disassemble without special tools, I'm not scared to try it. I think what would suck more is to turn my stock rack in as a core only to find that the part store rack is true garbage without hope of rebuilding.

I bought a kit from rockauto, can't remember if they had a zf kit.
*ok, I looked. lots of cam kits, but for 92, they sell a zf rack for $191.

I bought a kit from rockauto, can't remember if they had a zf kit.
*ok, I looked. lots of cam kits, but for 92, they sell a zf rack for $191.

I just looked. The $191 deal on RockAuto is a rebuild service by Cardone. You have to send yours in first. Then you'll get your rack back later. They must have parts but no cores. I wouldn't expect that service to be around much longer if there are any parts for these racks that aren't used anywhere else. :-(

So who here has actually rebuilt one of these racks themselves?

I have a used ZF sitting here, to replace the leaky CAM rack in my car. I'm currently thinking about rebuilding the ZF before installing it, since there's a real chance it could start leaking soon after it gets put back into service.

mueller. somewhere near the middle of this page in his 242 thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=57322&page=3

Dunno what kind of rack it was.

Cool, thanks for the link. That looks like a ZF "type 1." I determined that mine is a "Type 2" using the guide Ian linked. Also found this thread with posts from another member who rebuilt his Type 3. Looks fairly simple. http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=335887

I haven't forgotten about the '75 fuel system parts! We were out of town last weekend but things have calmed down now and I should be able to get everything pulled out very soon.

I bought a used (junkyard) CAM rack and took my original ZF rack to a local rebuilder that specializes in steering racks. They said the rack was pitted and thus couldn't be rebuilt. Or rather, that it would always leak due to the pitting.

So the issue is not just whether you can use a rebuild kit, but whether the rack is pitted or not. Perhaps the Cardone rebuilding service addresses this issue. Their page on their service says something about "resurfacing" which might address this problem.

https://www.cardone.com/product/26-1994-rack-and-pinion-assembly

At this point, I'm probably going to try the Cardone rebuilding service, as my replacement CAM rack is leaking.

Incidentally, my local rebuilder said they used the same Kotek kit which I had sourced on ebay.

Back