• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Valvetrain Noise

Since you enjoy working on old Volvos so much, try setting the lash "tighter" to like 10-12 thou. You'll end up with a few more degrees of duration on the cam (more fun!) and it'll be quieter.

Since you enjoy working on old Volvos so much, try setting the lash "tighter" to like 10-12 thou. You'll end up with a few more degrees of duration on the cam (more fun!) and it'll be quieter.

I honestly do love working on them. I just removed the cam today (after checking clearances AGAIN lol) and measured each individual shim, comparing it to my iPd order. All is well there.

What's the reasoning for Volvo's running double the lash as most other OHC engines? I would fear burning up a valve if I go too tight.

What's the reasoning for Volvo's running double the lash as most other OHC engines? I would fear burning up a valve if I go too tight.

No clue on the reasoning. OEM volvo cams are pretty decent duration when measured at zero lash (or 10 thou). When set at the factory lash level, they loose a lot of that duration. Could have been an issue with k-jet and early EFI cars trying to get them to pass emissions... idk.

You won't risk burning up a valve until it gets into the 2-4thou lash range, and bewst for minutes on end.

I shimmed the IPD Turbo cam in my old car to 8-10thou. It was really quiet under the hood.

That's such an odd concept to me. Any reason why we can't all be running ~.010" for a little extra oomph

WZKdhIF_d.jpg

But better drivability? I wonder if it would equate to worse fuel economy too.

I couldn't tell a difference in the lower revs, upper end was a bit more fun. This is not a night and day difference mind you, just slightly more than subtle.
No clue on fuel economy.

Probably aftermarket. Whatever they ship you when you buy them individually, that's what I did.

:roll: get real. 5w-40 is absolutely fine. How do you think a 40 weight at operating temp is too thin? That's what you'd use to bandaid valvetrain noise:roll: :roll:

you're missing the forest for the trees. I didn't say anything about 5w 40 being a problem, I said that I think you're out to lunch for stating earlier that oil weight had no bearing on valvetrain noise.

You're chasing ghosts, but good luck massaging ZDDP into shims, I'm sure it'll sound like a Lexus after that :rofl:

Two pages of "THE VALVE LASH IS PERFECT" until "actually it's not". CLASSIC I tell ya.

you're missing the forest for the trees. I didn't say anything about 5w 40 being a problem, I said that I think you're out to lunch for stating earlier that oil weight had no bearing on valvetrain noise.

You're chasing ghosts, but good luck massaging ZDDP into shims, I'm sure it'll sound like a Lexus after that :rofl:

Two pages of "THE VALVE LASH IS PERFECT" until "actually it's not". CLASSIC I tell ya.

Dude can you read at all? Tell me the spec for valve lash. Maybe it differs from every other source I've read.

And nice try but Toyota/Lexus often use shim over bucket just like redblocks and they aren't inherently quiet either. And yes that includes the 2JZ.

This guy usually knows what hes talking about
A B230 spec is .016"-.018" cold.

Last edited:
Dude can you read at all? Tell me the spec for valve lash. Maybe it differs from every other source I've read.

And nice try but Toyota/Lexus often use shim over bucket just like redblocks and they aren't inherently quiet either. And yes that includes the 2JZ.

This guy usually knows what hes talking about

I've got a 2JZ in my yard, there's no redblock in the world that runs as smoothly and quietly as that motor.

looking forward to the video of absolute silence once you get those burnished shims with all them ZDDP molecules just so embedded!

One misconception people have is that somehow multi-weight oil changes viscosity when it gets warm, it's actually a 5 weight oil that acts like a 40 weight oil at operating temperatures.

One misconception people have is that somehow multi-weight oil changes viscosity when it gets warm, it's actually a 5 weight oil that acts like a 40 weight oil at operating temperatures.

Not to nitpick, but my understanding was that it acts like 40wt oil would at operating temp, and like a 5wt oil would at cold temps.

I.e. thicker like 40wt when you're driving, but it's not going to turn into stiff goo when it gets cold.

I've got a 2JZ in my yard, there's no redblock in the world that runs as smoothly and quietly as that motor.

looking forward to the video of absolute silence once you get those burnished shims with all them ZDDP molecules just so embedded!

Obviously a 2.3 SOHC 4 cylinder without balance shafts isn't gonna run as smoothly as a DOHC in-line 6:roll:

Moot point, really. The 2JZ is quiet and runs a tighter valve lash. What are you getting at? I adjusted mine to spec.

I have dealt with the same: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5978146#post5978146

I think my aftermarket shims are not quite good fit in the buckets, and their surface was not that nice. I'll dig out my spare new aftermarket shims and take pictures of the cylinder surfaces... Volvo shims needed much more precision to remove from the buckets. I suggest you examine yours aswell!

Thank you. I'm at the JY right now grabbing some shims. I am likely going to prefer used shims with high mileage than aftermarket crap.

I can't wait for the OP to discover this has been injector noise the entire time.

I can't wait for the OP to discover this has been injector noise the entire time.

I can distinctly hear the injectors separately from the valvetrain noise. You might not be able to tell in video though.

But a reshim and then injectors start making noise:thinking: makes sense to me

Back