home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2022, 02:23 AM   #26
Lord Tentacle
Anime Lord
 
Lord Tentacle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney, AUS/Appleton, WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
We <3 u Dana
+9001
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sven:. View Post
Your not getting naked pics of my GF, and im getting a 3inch. Its settled
Tentacle Wagon-91 940; stuff including paddles and Holset etc... powered by Corn
Tentacle Truck-98 Ram 2500 v10; stuff including viper bits, 4wd delete, and 10,000lb trailer

recently crushed Volvo's
03 C70, 96 850, 02 v70, 90 244, 98 v70, 99 v70
Lord Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:21 AM   #27
boostdemon
creative mastermind
 
boostdemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tentacle View Post
+9001
oof. right in the feels
__________________
"the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

1983 242 TIC Flathood
1986 745 GLE
1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
2001 V70 T5
2001 V70 XC
2004 V70 R Flash Green
2004 V70 R Grey

"Flathood" Owners | Motorcyclists | Guitarists
boostdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:24 AM   #28
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone
 
John242Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Duvall, WA
Default

Sounds like it has been more fun than a barrel of monkeys on acid...

Anyway, thanks for getting us back up.
__________________

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #29
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo Corp.
 
dbarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North of Dallas
Default

I think maybe a bunch of data was lost for April.

I was going over some of my subscribed thread replies that had accumulated in my inbox while I was out of town for Davis before the outage. It looks like maybe 15 or more threads that I received replies for in late April are now missing all replies. Some appear to be missing all activity going back to March, including 'Tonights Volvo Orphan' thread.

This thread https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...30#post6234930 had a reply on 4/25 from user: barandon. It's not there when I look.

This one also lost all activity from April: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...20#post6264420

And this thread had a reply on 4/28 and the entire thread seems to be dead now: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=364349. It was titled: 'Oil filter extension arm! Why are you even a thing.'. It shows an error message: No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
Dave B
__________________


'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Garaged since new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, EMS: SDS EFI & IGN, TD04HL-15G turbo, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff, unmodified G80.
Volvo's Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #30
Failz
Newbie
 
Failz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Default

Thanks for restoring what is effectively a solid 90% of all 240 fixing/modding/etc. related google search results.
__________________
Failz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #31
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
I think maybe a bunch of data was lost for April.

I was going over some of my subscribed thread replies that had accumulated in my inbox while I was out of town for Davis before the outage. It looks like maybe 15 or more threads that I received replies for in late April are now missing all replies. Some appear to be missing all activity going back to March, including 'Tonights Volvo Orphan' thread.

This thread https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...30#post6234930 had a reply on 4/25 from user: barandon. It's not there when I look.

This one also lost all activity from April: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...20#post6264420

And this thread had a reply on 4/28 and the entire thread seems to be dead now: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=364349. It was titled: 'Oil filter extension arm! Why are you even a thing.'. It shows an error message: No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
Dave B
A backup from early April was used to restore the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon View Post
First off let me apologize in that this was a my fault kind of issue where I knew better and simply wasn't thinking of ramifications if said process failed. Secondly I apologize for taking 10 days to get this back up and running. I was working with our host to try and repair the broken database and causing lots more crashes and failures in the hopes that we could save the data from April this year. Luckily the host had a backup of the board from the migration earlier in April that saved us.
__________________
'63 PV Rat Rod
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #32
bgpzfm142
crossmember
 
bgpzfm142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Launceston, Tasmana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tentacle View Post
+9001
9002

Very glad you filled up the bit tank again. Trouble is, the price of binary '1's has gone up....

Seriously, thank you for persevering. Software screwups are a major PITA to sort.
__________________


_______ THE FLEET (AKA good luck trying to park around here)
71 1800E | 73 144 | 74 142 | 74 145 | 79 242GT | 85 244 | 88 780 V6 | 93 945T | 96 965 | 2010 S80 V8
plus a Holden Commodore VT SS 5.7
feedback thread
bgpzfm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #33
dorvin
idunno
 
dorvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Minnesota
Default

Thank you for all the hard work Dana! Happy to be back.
__________________
'77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
'85 Cadillac Eldorado
'91 Volvo 740
'93 Volvo 240 - 683/1600
'97 Volvo 850 T5
'12 Volvo S60 T5
dorvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #34
Fa182
Stage 1
 
Fa182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Austria
Default

Thanks again for all your work Dana!!! So happy to see it back up.
__________________
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #35
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone
 
John242Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Duvall, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
A backup from early April was used to restore the site.

Specifically, the one from 4/1/22.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #36
ermit71
Board Member
 
ermit71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Specifically, the one from 4/1/22.
The delayed April fools joke?
__________________


Feedback
ermit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:40 PM   #37
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

Glad to see the board back up and running. Much appreciation to you Dana for sticking with it and getting things running. This prompted me to get a backup device for my home computer. I got a 2 terrabyte seagate one touch for $65. Amazing how the price per byte of storage has gone down.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #38
Meistwagon
Board Member
 
Meistwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: State college PA
Default

I appreciate your efforts! Everything IV ever learned about volvos was from this site.
__________________
79 245 Dl - sold
91 f150 - sold
83 244 GLT - sold
83 242 GLT - parts/scrap
95 jetta vr6 - sold
72 145 E - sold
86 bmw 535i - Toatled
92 245 dl - m47
Meistwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #39
v8volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SW MT
Default

Good to see it back, echoing the thanks.

Have you looked at xenforo as an alternative? TDI Club's forum moved onto that platform a year or so ago. Tdiclub is a smilar size "big board" with 20+ years of archive that was probably no longer a good fit for vbulletin 3 which it had been using until the move, same as tbricks. There are definitely some interface differences and a lot of added functions that I found kind of off-putting and gimmicky at first after the transition, but now that I am used to it, I have to say it works well and the new stuff has been growing on me. Things like post quoting, PM, etc are much more modern and smooth than vBulletin ever was. Seems to be stable, no issues on there since the move.

Anyway, if it gets to the point of looking at alternatives that may be a decent candidate. Till then glad to see this back in action.
__________________
86 745 D24T/ZF 340k lifted 2.5"
83 764 D24T/M46 145k
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:21 PM   #40
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone
 
John242Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Duvall, WA
Default

Other sites I know of that use it:

https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php
https://www.photrio.com
https://www.radiodiscussions.com
https://tinkerdifferent.com

There are some weird things about it. Whereas, on vBulletin and phpBB, there's a new post icon next to the title of the thread; on xenforo, the title of the thread takes you to the new post. To get to the original post, you need to click on the date and time stamp below the title. But, once people get used to it, it works pretty well. In the case of all of those forums, you still have to click "Mark Forums Read" when you're done. You can @mention people in your posts, as well.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:29 PM   #41
rallybrick
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: People's Republik of Socal
Default

Thanks for fixing the forum! Of the few interwebzy things left from my "previous life" before being a grown up, TB has remained as that comforting, warm blanket always waiting in the corner... or maybe it's the familiar, overly oily red rag stuffed in the top of the toolbox, ever ready to leap into service?

While I frowned that the board was down when I randomly checked, I knew Dana would pull through!
rallybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:27 PM   #42
KwikBrik245
Board Member
 
KwikBrik245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH
Default

I was definitely going through withdrawals hahaha
These things happen, and should only be chalked up to growing pains. Thanks for your work, Dana. I'll see you at Mountain Meet
__________________
Daily: '91 245, B230F/M46 P-type, '93 Dana 30

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #43
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss
 
MikeJr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Acworth, GA 30102
Default

Thanks Dana
__________________
My other projects http://www.pbase.com/mikejr
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #44
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Thank you for restoring function!
__________________
Here's my feedback thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=25568

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:33 AM   #45
240 Swagon
Bored Member
 
240 Swagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Coast/Bay Area
Default

Thank you Dana!
__________________
‘84 242DL, B23F/M46, #189 Polar White
‘86 245DL, B230F/M46, #177 Graphite Metallic
@brickyardgarage on IG but I barely post there either
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Listen up smartass. Lemme tell you something. THE VOLVO 240 IS THE GREATEST CAR OF ALL TIME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
If you want to PM me some cash, I'll sell my soul and say the 740 is the greatest volvo of all time.
240 Swagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #46
yamahapro
Turbonetics power!
 
yamahapro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oxnard
Default

Thank you!
yamahapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #47
sloopy
2-digit whp
 
sloopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default

why not use phpbb? its a very mature open source project which is actively developed, has extensive documentation, and has a very active community support forum.

https://www.phpbb.com/
https://www.phpbb.com/about/
https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/
https://www.phpbb.com/community/

notable phpbb forums:
https://forum.videolan.org/
https://forums.gentoo.org/
https://forums.debian.net//

id be happy to help make this happen
__________________
1992 volvo 240 wagon, black:
> tire: 225/60R15 bfgoodrich radial t/a
> suspension: 23/19mm f/r arb + koni sports
> drivetrain: m47II + 4.10 + wavetrac
> engine: b230F + a-cam + tube headers
> misc: 5lb lithium battery
sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #48
boostdemon
creative mastermind
 
boostdemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Other sites I know of that use it:

https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php
https://www.photrio.com
https://www.radiodiscussions.com
https://tinkerdifferent.com

There are some weird things about it. Whereas, on vBulletin and phpBB, there's a new post icon next to the title of the thread; on xenforo, the title of the thread takes you to the new post. To get to the original post, you need to click on the date and time stamp below the title. But, once people get used to it, it works pretty well. In the case of all of those forums, you still have to click "Mark Forums Read" when you're done. You can @mention people in your posts, as well.
yeah i'm doing some research to see what will work best for us - obviously i'd love to stick with vbulletin if not for the ease to import our existing board but also because people here hate change lol. We just need to make sure whatever we choose can handle the database at its future size. I personally would love to be able to upload photos from my phone directly to the post, upvote/like posts, and @people as well - all the modern social media features we all are familiar with.
boostdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #49
boostdemon
creative mastermind
 
boostdemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopy View Post
why not use phpbb? its a very mature open source project which is actively developed, has extensive documentation, and has a very active community support forum.

https://www.phpbb.com/
https://www.phpbb.com/about/
https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/
https://www.phpbb.com/community/

notable phpbb forums:
https://forum.videolan.org/
https://forums.gentoo.org/
https://forums.debian.net//

id be happy to help make this happen
We actually left phpbb to go to vbulletin due to issues where I had to add a bunch of plugins to phpbb to make it work like vb and at every update to the board code i had to redo everything... albeit that was 20 years ago (and that gentoo forum pre-dates turbobricks, man that hasnt changed a bit since the late 90's) at this point so definitely will be looking at them as well.
boostdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #50
sloopy
2-digit whp
 
sloopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon View Post
We actually left phpbb to go to vbulletin due to issues where I had to add a bunch of plugins to phpbb to make it work like vb and at every update to the board code i had to redo everything... albeit that was 20 years ago (and that gentoo forum pre-dates turbobricks, man that hasnt changed a bit since the late 90's) at this point so definitely will be looking at them as well.
hah thats interesting. and maybe we can run phpbb on gentoo :o)
sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.