• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Cleaning ETM (throttle body)

SteveMD

Membro
Is it ok to push the throttle blade open so the cleaner can get in there (and your q-tips, if necessary)?

I noticed resistance to pushing (Mazda 6) so I didn't proceed out of concern for damaging these $$ ETMs. I need to clean the V70 2.5 ETM as it is acting like it is gunked up with turbo sploodge. (check engine light on and no fast idle on cold starts plus low hot idle)

Steve, you're fine to push the plate to clean it up, although you may have issues after cleaning it. The adaptive ECU will not like using it's learned memory on a clean throttle plate. Not sure if you can reset the ECU by pulling the fuse, but at the dealer I always had to use VIDA to re-calibrate the throttle after cleaning it, or the car ran like crap.

Take the - baterry terminal off before you start, clean ETM, hook the battery, give contact II leave it on till ETM finishes you will hear it, take the contact off, start the car.

I recomend you take the ETM completely off, clean it well but don't soak it with cleaner, You might need new gasket, or re-use the old one with very small amount of quality gasket maker.

I cleaned mine out recently ('01 S80) and did nothing but disconnect the battery first.

Perfect idle, no codes. Though mine was the opposite with very high idling so YMMV :lol:

There is a spring in the ETM that will cause some resistance. You won't damage the throttle. As previously stated, just remove the battery cable while cleaning. This will reset the ECM adaptive data and prevent the vehicle from running poorly after cleaning.

Back