• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Holset HX40 experience needed

ROFL this engine is 304 hp and 529 nm at 4100 rpm.

Here are your 300 hp vwbusman66 ;)

https://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=90162&p=643788&hilit=Super+hx40#p643788

Spec on the engine
Blocks: B230 -93
Head: 531 pcs SEK 1500 porting with std seats
Cam: Sts 247 - 112
Cam Springs: Springs simple agap + titanium retaners
Rods: H-profile
Pistons: Volvo turbo pistons leveled
Branch tube: own made. pulse split manifold with 48mm outer dim
Intake: KL intake
Turbo: Super HX40 / 14 # /
Spray: Whose
Spreader: 2200cc
Wg STS 50mm from s?var jens
Dump 50mm tial
Fuel: E85
Fuel pump: Walbro
Gearbox M90
Pressure pipe: 3 "
Exhaust system 3.5" from Turbon

Yeah, It was enjoyable reading that someone thinks a ball bearing turbo isn't going to be a big improvement. Even my old school T3 with a cossie housing on it has full boost by 3500rpm with useful boost happening around 2300rpm. Full boost by 4k is ok but not great by any means.

Could be down to tuning, but the GTX2860 with a 0.64 ATP t3 turbine housing was 15psi at ~3k rpm on a basically stock b230ft.

With the 0.48 hosing it's spools like a 13c (so positive pressure at ~2k and 15psi at 2500 rpm).

Going up to 25-30psi just adds a few hundred rpm to the values above.

Could be down to tuning, but the GTX2860 with a 0.64 ATP t3 turbine housing was 15psi at ~3k rpm on a basically stock b230ft.

So did my hy35 10cm. Very good value for money in my opinion.

To me personally, volvo tuning has always been about high performance for small investments. Spending 2k on an efr turbo to slap it onto a 1000 dollar car with tractor engine does not make much sense, If efficiency truly is ones argument, the base is questionable to begin with. To each their own

Ot: will let you know what the 16cm hx40 super does on the 16v.

To me personally, volvo tuning has always been about high performance for small investments. Spending 2k on an efr turbo to slap it onto a 1000 dollar car with tractor engine does not make much sense, If efficiency truly is ones argument, the base is questionable to begin with. To each their own

Oh, I totally get doing it for as cheap as possible. Or at least maximizing the smiles per cost :)

The GTX is on a turbo 242 rally car, so reliability and performance are very important.

In all honesty, I'd spec a bigger turbo for it the next time around. Something more along the lines of a GTX3071 or 3076. Time to boost will be slightly less, but the top end will be better and it can be done with less boost pressure (and heat).

Im very interested in your results. What cylinders do you pair for each scroll? What size tubes are you using?

Im very interested in your results. What cylinders do you pair for each scroll? What size tubes are you using?

I think this article has very good information if you're gonna build a twinscroll manifold.

Sorry I didn't notice you were using 86mm crank, I'm not sure how 37mm ID will work for that size but I would recommend using super hx40 60 in 65 out with 16cm2 housing from KLracing.se if you want low rpm boost. I think smaller than 16cm2 will choke a b230 16v with 86 crank but it would be fun to try out XD.

And beaware that a 2.5 16v inline 4 could outflow smaller turbos on the compressor side and then you have hot air coming out of the compressor and too much back pressure in the exhaust manifold.
I had that problem on my motor when I tried to use t04e.
It completely maxed out at 1.4 bar with the wastegate closed and the turbo over reving by the sound of it.

Cyl 1-4 and 2-3 always go together.

My Holset experiences:

HE351CW - 2.0 16v 4 cyl and 1.8 short stroke 16v 4 cyl - ~3psi @ 3k, ~12psi @ 4k, ~18psi gate pressure at 5k and beyond - loved it, love it, would trade again.
HX40M - 8.3 C series cummins, spools under 1k and keeps spooled to where the over-sized prop stops it with insufficient injector pump - worst ex manifold in the history of the world - log with full sharp 90s inside. Ouch
HY55V - garage floor VGT on RB30DET or B6304 or similar will be interesting, but I'm not sure it'll fit in the front of the car :-D HUGE. May have to use it for wall art (was $100nz) or rebuild it and play with it for giggles - needs about 1k into it, but it's like a 4k turbo new, so... not terrible.

General:

If you want a lot of power, you're going to have to compromise somewhere, and bottom end torque is where that is, but IMO it's not so bad:
If you're driving slow then you rev to 2k and shift, maybe 3k and shift, the more you rev it the more urgent it feels, the later you shift the faster you go
If you're going fast then you won't see low RPM points in your curve, you'll be shift to shift above 5000 at all times with any reasonable 16v set up and gear set

With my HE351CW I welded a steel bung into the 20mm ish wastegate hole and used an external 44mm. With that 44mm wastegate held wide open I made 3.5psi by 7000 RPM on the 2.0 4cyl 16v engine, ie, nicely built ram horn design, using inertia to best effect. In contrast to others in this thread I would describe the spool as gentle - however it's worth noting that at 12psi you're accelerating through the rev range pretty quickly so the ability to make 18psi comes soon after and that acceleration in lower gears makes it seem to come on suddenly, but in reality it's not if you plot it RPM vs pressure. In a higher gear you'd see it coming on very smoothly as strong accel in a high gear is not super rapid.

opinionated thread is opinionated... the hx52 does alright, I'll have to look at the datalogs and see, I was also cranking the boost up against a high stall converter, so you won't get a realistic snapshot of what the spool is doing in the spongey areas (the car is also set up to make power at higher rpms). it spooled up faster with the stroker setup than the 2.3 setup. nitrous wasn't an integral part of the combo per-se, just made it easier to launch the car and who doesn't want another 100+whp on tap just because.

regarding holsets vs "new turbos"... savar et al talks about various upgrades and improvements in diesel turbos and that was probably very true in the early 2000's vs the normal gas turbos we've been playing with for 60 years... but that same technology very quickly made its way into consumer turbos and these days I'd say the playing field is probably fairly level if not down to application specific enhancements that may or may not do anything better for an unintended use-case. Holsets are heavy-duty framed units, and weigh a ton as such, and tend to be dimensionally larger than a 'normal'(for lack of a better term) turbo, and the wheels tend to be a bit heavier as well. what this means in general is that you can get similar performance from similar priced turbo chargers for similar money and weigh less (as well as have more interchange options) these days. a cursory glance through VSracing's site will indicate as much.
Don't take this as me bagging on holsets, I've had a great experience with my hx52, eamon's 16v was a very good performer with his hx35/40 mashup and certainly not what I would consider "laggy"
116438586.jpg

anyway, it's a turbo. mount it up and run it.

ld-dyno-test/[/url][/QUOTE]

This article implies they used runner tubes that were smaller and larger then the exhaust port. When I measure the CSA of my 16v exhaust port and calculate it back to a round tube inside diameter, i get 0.82 inches. Somethings not right. The 16v exhaust port is rectangular with rounded ends. Each port is 45.7mm wide and 26.8mm tall. I calculate the CSA to be 1070.62 mm?. Working that backwards to a round tube i get .82 mm? ID. What am I missing?

Posted via Mobile Device

This article implies they used runner tubes that were smaller and larger then the exhaust port. When I measure the CSA of my 16v exhaust port and calculate it back to a round tube inside diameter, i get 0.82 inches. Somethings not right. The 16v exhaust port is rectangular with rounded ends. Each port is 45.7mm wide and 26.8mm tall. I calculate the CSA to be 1070.62 mm?. Working that backwards to a round tube i get .82 mm? ID. What am I missing?

1070.62 mm?=A
Circular Area, A=pi*r^2.

Rearrange to solve for radius, r=square root (A/pi)

Solving for A=1070 results in r=18.45mm which is a diameter of 36.9mm, which is 1.453in

1070.62 mm?=A
Circular Area, A=pi*r^2.

Rearrange to solve for radius, r=square root (A/pi)

Solving for A=1070 results in r=18.45mm which is a diameter of 36.9mm, which is 1.453in

Yep! Youre right!

Im thinking of using 38mmx2mm 304 stainless (1.5? ID). That?s slightly larger then the 16v exhaust port.

Posted via Mobile Device

Back