• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

m46 pilot bearing

dandeluca

Did I end up with the wrong pilot bearing for my m46? It does not slip over the input shaft of the transmission. I feel like I could drive it in, but it seems like I should not have to do that.

Yes it installs into the tail of the crank with a wire circlip so it should be a slide fit into the transmission input shaft.

You'll need to borrow / rent the pilot bearing puller at Kragens to get the old bushing from the AT or old bearing out.

NB:

Careful driving it in with a socket that's just undersized, if you hit the center race it's toast since it's not a thrust bearing.

Someone on this forum mentioned to me once that there are two pilot bearings for M46's. I can't see to find that online anywhere so perhaps thats not true. Here is the bearing I bought.

UlKyc37l.jpg

Seems to come up at the correct part when I google it, but it still does not slide on the input shaft. Perhaps I just need to sand the shaft down more.

That is the correct pilot bearing for a 4 cylinder engine.

There is another pilot bearing for diesel engines with an M46 but it requires a removable sleeve for the tip of the input shaft as the inner diameter of the diesel pilot bearing is larger.

Take some sand paper or emery cloth and clean off the end of your input shaft till the sucker slips on a easy as you want then install in rear of crank.. Sometimes I knurl the outside of the race that goes into the crank if it turns in crank so it won't turn in crank. Take a punch and tap around the outside of race so it fits in crank without spinning around, don't tap real hard.. Use pointed punch.

Back