• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dana 70 for 945?

Lord Tentacle

Anime Lord
Anyone ever heard of anyone doing a Dana 70 conversion in the rear of a 945?

I ask because.... I have access to many Dana 70's from 94-01 Dodge ram 2500's for stupid cheap (ford exploader stuff is impossible to find and sells for $$$ because popular)
The LSD options are the same price as the sploader options...
I can get cheap axles in any length because of the aftermarket using dana 70/80's in the rear of jeep XJ's and other jeeps/4wd's
The factory rear disc options for the ram 2500 dana 70 are bigger than the big brake options for 945's in general

so in short... is this documented or am I going to be the one documenting it for everyone else?

if you need to ask why does LT need a dana 70... you don't know me.. and or "Meth"

That is a HEAVY axle for a 945. I'd worry about body mounts and stuff being able to manage the weight. Even a 60 is heavy, but it will handle a hell of a lot of abuse.

It's a 100lbs heavier than an 8.8 and that feels heavy in the car.
Try 200+Lbs heavier (or are we talking totally bare housing only?)?
Love the image of a unibody Volvo 7/9 w/500-700lb fully dressed dodge 1-ton axle dragging its nuts around like a Dachshund, Corgi or other english inbred bull dog/similar w/ 'car' sized tires & ripping the body mounts for the locating arms. That would be quite a sight!
Pumpkin that's ~2-3" off the ground w/car(ish) sized tires gets stuck on a rock/minor speed bump/mound or dip, rest-of-car continues on... :lol:

That, and if it's behind a cummins, they're often beat/undesirable ratio & a super antiquated design when they were installed in those trucks new.

None of the drivetrain parts seem to last that well in those POS Dodge trucks behind the better of the Cummins.
Ford/Sterling stoopid-doodie 10.5" is the go-to for those guys or 3.55 10.25" even (4.10s aren't really appropriate ratio most of the time or aren't as strong as the 3.55s is all).
There's a reason they're cheap/they're taking the D70 they got out &/or don't want those antiquated lousy-strength-weight-ratio heavy turds for the application Dana made too many of & Chrysler ordered for as dirt cheap as possible... :lol:

The rock crawler guys shave them for crazy/cubic $ sometimes if they have more money than brains & unlimited 'hobby' (.17?/hr) time when they probably could have just bought a Unimog or chosen a lighter-weight stronger axle for the application optimized for torque multiplication/crawling/articulation and not carrying weight in a 1-ton-truck.

Is this supposed (mythical?) '945' a Volvo 7/9 unibody/chassis (broadly speaking) w/ 'car sized tires' (broadly speaking) that's a functional as-built road-legal car or more of a tube or SUV/Truck frame drag racer or monster truck that sort of resembles a '945' in appearance mostly only??

U no herd of the ~96-99 E350 disc brake D60 (of 1-ton-truck-junk)?
It's already setup for narrower track, car sized tires (if you want them), discs, easier to work with ends and less optimized to carry weight than a 1-ton truck axle if you're a light weight 4x4 rock crawler guy, or you just have a real clean full width Bronco/Classic F150 (or F250 non-camper-special you want to keep slab side/single tire & don't plan to put a ton of weight on/don't necessarily want to convert to a Sterling or lose ground clearance...the pinion is a lot higher in the D60 than the ford 9" and other than ease of service w/ the 9" drop out 3rd, it uses less power & is about as strong in the later E350 version...the 7.3 powerstrokes are decently powerful in the vans/ambulances those years (tho non-intercooled most of the time)).

AUS, right?
Youse guise no have Toyota 8" setup for 1-ton dually, V6, V8 & larger diesels in landcruiser flat beds & the like, there?
2WD V8 tundra have undesirable ratios for a 4-banger, but if you're a V8/larger displacement engine swappin,' the 3.07s or 3.31s might be just the thing?
Even we got those...even if one has to scrap out a rotten/moldy ~87+ minnie winnie to get one/shorten it and re-do the hubs?

The 8" might not be quite as strong as the the old car hot rodders go-to of the Chrysler 8.25" or 8.75" w/drop-out 3rd, but there's so much variety, the stronger versions are almost as strong (stronger than the 8.25" IMO), it's got a drop out 3rd & easily reinforced/very rigid axle housing, lots of configurations w/good factory E-lockers or if you get it machined for replaceable friction surfaces, good 4-pinion awesome ramping supra (& Soarer/other Toyota badged RWD more powerful cars in other markets?) clutch LSD can be retrofitted.

Much less pinion drag, weight, better ground clearance, & less hypoid angle than the ford 9" w/drop out 3rd etc.

Or I suppose the silly obscure semi-full-float C-clip Toyota 9.5" FJ60/62 & FZ80 (rear only) thing w/drop out 3rd?
Strong & pinion isn't as low in it as the ford 9" w/drop out 3rd, but good luck getting parts for it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TL;DR
If you like cheap (who on TB doesn't/you've logged in here more than once as a dyed in wool tweaker pre-2008 crash, no :lol:?), I suppose there's the Chrsler 8.25" & rare D44 the XJ guy took out to really lose his mind & have to either cage his unibody kool-aided XJ or be wishing he had...?
They're pretty strong pushing car-sized tires. Old design. No drop out 3rd. Less aftermarket than other choices maybe?
Or the aluminum D44 in the 360 V8 ZJs?
The disc 8.8 is a newer design sorta copy of the D44 in a lot of ways that you can get anything you want for.
Not as 'strong' I suppose, and more hypoid angle/drag than the 29-spline Chrysler 8.25," which is pretty under-rated, honestly (no discs, tho & they cheaped out in the XJ/didn't give you more reinforced axle tubes or a drop out 3rd & used something they had laying around from old pre-ABS cars when they had problems with the turdy-five holding the power of the 4.0HO w/towing package (us Vol-void guys w/1031 essentially have D35 R&P w/D30 carrier to fit the car sized tires/work in the lightweight car & have OK ground clearance/economy & skirting intellectual property laws...pretty Swedish(ly) sensible & industrious ingenious appropriation of an old (if anything)/extant proven thing made in quality Swedish materials?) :e-shrug:). :e-shrug:

XJs were designed to be sold to civilians & also replace the AMC mail-carrier (largely unchanged from the Kaiser days) Jeep & made to be configurable in either LHD or RHD (so youse guise prolly got them a bunch of years like us, no?), but defense contractor & federal contract sleaze being what it is, Northrup Grumman & GM had their guys on the inside of the Govt. to kick the can down the road & 'deliberate' until '87 by which time AMC was hurting & about to goet absorbed/semi-hostile take-over by Chrysler & Northrup Grumman got the contract to build the LLV body out of some of their various military waste aluminum production capacity smelted on the public dime right here in the PNW as long as the Canadians didn't rescind the Columbia river treaty & tax payer footed the bill.

Mail carriers didn't get A/C or unibody creature comforts or safety features or select-able durable dis-engagable 4WD (but **** them/public servants that do actual work/take risks or poor people in rural areas that depend on reliable end-mile small parcel/mail delivery at low cost (subsidized by people in cities or near a train station in the older days -~1960) / little markup , right? :lol:), production volume on the XJs was lower for E-Z/inexpensive abundance of replacement parts for civilians & their XJs over the 20ish year production run, tax payer footed the bill.
We got the GM iron duke POS, some cheap C-channel noodle chassis shortened S10 frames, instead of the multi-point EFI way more durable & fuel efficient AMC 4-cylinder that was almost ready/a cut down version of the AMC 258 six & 'under development' Renix EFI 242/EFI 4.0 in a death trap proprietary body vehicle (tho nice waste military production aluminum/lots of embodied energy, there) that had solid bumpers/holds up well to brutal salt/being bashed around for mail carrier use/abuse to its credit.

Not that the XJ Jeep as constructed is any prize (it's still largely a POS made for/by hapless avg. under-educated Americans on the American corporate model :lol:), but interesting history.
Long production run & Chrysler got all the benefits of the timeless styling black rubber/metal bumper sealed beam headlight crossover SUV & to their credit, their blood suckers/board of director upper class twits didn't mess with the XJ/try to cheap out on it more/alter the basic AMC design & introduced the ZJ that AMC had been developing @ their own expense/capitol outlay at risk when they finally fully absorbed/finalized the acquisition ~Dec. 1991 tax-year that essentially became a license to print $ for Chrysler when gas prices (inflation adjusted) fell like a stone from 1993-2000 & everybody/almost every idiot American bought shoddy compact SUVs w/V6s & V8s that returned about the same fuel-economy as a manual transmission 300-6 Base model F250/350/actually useful flat bed/utility bed truck that'll run forever/put up with abuse & get there (slowly :lol:, tho faster than a 300-6 UPS truck/medium duty truck or propane-powered airport tug :lol:), anyway.

Didn't stop Chrysler from asking for/receiving a bailout from us the taxpayer despite all those Durange-0s, Grand Cherokees AMC did the costly R & D for they sold a ton of when gas was cheap as basically a money printer ~1993-2000 (& again in the W.bush years when you got a tax break & there was still dirt cheap credit & cheap enough gas up to ~2005 to go out & buy a full size truck/SUV as a 'utility vehicle' as your 'patriotic duty' patriot act 2002-2005/6ish) & the bailout came after the 2008 crisis hit & Obama needed Michigan/Wisconsin (especially) & upper midwest votes ~2012, tho? Easy deal to make for the powers that be...
...lousy deal for the tax payer (regressive as the tax structure/tax burden on wages & sales on essential goods is) & light-duty vehicle owner / mail recipient, tho...

If this story resonates &/or sounds familiar with Ford swallowing Volvo-Cars & imposing the American business model to the degree they could...
/TL;DR

Last edited:
Over Kill.
W/lousy strength-weight ratio, serviceability (no drop-out 3rd) & a really old design!

'It's cheap & I already own it/can get it/daydream about getting it for nothing, lazily.' Ancient TB proverb & mantra*.

*Mantra ritual repeat in TB (single brain?) cell sharing session*...

Last edited:
Thats a massive axle. I have a full floater Dana 70 in my 73' C20 and it looks large in that from behind.

AUS, right?
Youse guise no have Toyota 8" setup for 1-ton dually, V6, V8 & larger diesels in landcruiser flat beds & the like, there?
2WD V8 tundra have undesirable ratios for a 4-banger, but if you're a V8/larger displacement engine swappin,' the 3.07s or 3.31s might be just the thing?
Even we got those...even if one has to scrap out a rotten/moldy ~87+ minnie winnie to get one/shorten it and re-do the hubs?

Toyota stuff starts at $2k for a bent and flogged one and goes up from there

The dodge Dana 70 is one of the few things I can get easily and reliably for under 1k in good condition
Also I own a 98 Ram 2500 v10 so having spare parts is good

^
Didn't know the Buchkas had an AUS-edition for all things tube-frame & wanted to save $ on the axle or an '8.8 costs a lot' being a realistic constraint? :lol:

But if you want a spare for the truck & to cross breed the 1-ton & midsize car junkpile as an excuse to justify trying to adapt it to the mid-size car, go for it/why not?

Sounds like you need a new chassis more than a stronger axle (whatever it is, D70 or not)?

Solid axles really aren't common en masse anymore except on 3/4-1-ton trucks where the company is cheap &/or doesn't change the design.
Chrysler, is that you?
That part is sort of understandable, broadly, condolences.

We ran into that here ~10-20 years ago when mopar 8.75" w/drop-out 3rd all were picked hard by the hot rod & muscle car guys & the classic mom 'n pop junkyards with the good rust free American iron self serve sections of pre ~1972/Opec & CARB of 25-100 cars closed, got ratted out to the EPA &/or or got bought out...

Deputize pops stateside to buy a smog-fail or similar half-derelict minnie winnie ~'87+ Toiletta RV full float dually to part out & crate the rear axle up w/ strongest tall ratio V8 tundra 3rd & Supra LSD? Sorting out the hubs for a car app might be a hassle, but full float might be nice?
Or the E350 disc D60, but 1-ton axles in a mid-size car, good lord!
"I mean, how hard can it be?"

Then again, it'd be kinda sad to do that to the Toyota 1-ton dually once you dun all the work to get the derelict house removed from it that could be converted to a tilt-bed flat bed that's low to the ground on small tires, light weight & fuel efficient that can be put to utilitarian use-value work rather than used for speculative Volvo frivolous futitarian flings...
...but @~$1k+ ante price just for decent solid axles now-a-days whatever they are anymore, may it go to the highest bidder, whoever they are, whatever they're doing?

Makes me think I sold my spare high pinion ford D60 kingpin front, E350 D60 rear, XJ D44 & pair of FZ80 Landruiser locker axles with all the bits too cheap!
What with all the silly complicated IRS cars running around & weak junk these days or no more Hi-Pinion SAS in most light trucks at all, whatsoever.
Dammit! Whatev' water under the bridge & someone got a deal on those giant albatross & they left!
More importantly, with the exception of the XJ D44 & FZ80 8" front being 'somewhat manageable', I didn't break my back moving those pigs!

Last edited:
Way heavy, I don’t think that juice is worth the squeeze. If you can’t find an 8.8 you could easily build a 9”, have immense aftermarket options.

But John V died on the Toyota hill.

Likely you are going to be putting custom aftermarket axle shafts, axle ends and the tubes shortened. Just get a 9in built at that point.

s-l1600.jpg

Likely you are going to be putting custom aftermarket axle shafts, axle ends and the tubes shortened. Just get a 9in built at that point.

I need custom axle's anyways because of the need for 5x112 stud pattern and the very custom width
I'm doing the tube shortening myself has I have the lathe and other tools needed to do it properly

Built 9" is >$7k here in aus
I'm looking at sub $2k for the Dana 70 (over and done with)

Back