• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Horn repair?

2 old for this

Any one have any luck in bringing old Bosch horns back to life? They are the round type on a 444. Any trouble shoot advice?

horns are $16-40 bucks or so new, add a relay and they are 3x as loud as from the factory--at least mine are. Would not recommend trying to bring old horn tech back to life. You have many (hella) electronic horn options on Amazon

Last edited:
I was able to disassemble, clean and reassemble the original 6V horns on my 544 easily.
There's nothing to them.
I think I had to tweek the adjustment screw a tiny bit.

The horn sounded great when done.

horns are $16-40 bucks or so new, add a relay and they are 3x as loud as from the factory--at least mine are. Would not recommend trying to bring old horn tech back to life. You have many (hella) electronic horn options on Amazon

I think the difficulty may be that the old horns on a 444 are 6 volt. So it may be worth it to refurbish them.

If original, definitely 6v horns.

I've seen some videos on Google showing early Bosch horns being taken apart and cleaned, but we have never tried.

FYI, if needed, the original rubber mounting grommets are still available.

They used to sell rebuild kits for the Porsche 356 round horn sets at Stoddard a Porsche dealer with a focus on the classic Porsches. I used to get their paper catalogs and shop for my parts there. Those cars were six volt systems, too.

Back