• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

First quote back is about $770. Ouch.

Maybe I should just go one piece. I just remember the one piece I had rubbing like crazy, and the car wasn't as low then as it will be now.

I've been considering going back to 2-pc on mine, when I get the Ford 8.8 in it. I haven't had any rubbing issues with mine so far, but I get some vibrations at triple digit speeds that don't make me entirely good about pushing the envelope there. It's just a long driveshaft, diameter/stiffness/trueness/etc just gets a lot more critical the longer it gets.

I've been considering going back to 2-pc on mine, when I get the Ford 8.8 in it. I haven't had any rubbing issues with mine so far, but I get some vibrations at triple digit speeds that don't make me entirely good about pushing the envelope there. It's just a long driveshaft, diameter/stiffness/trueness/etc just gets a lot more critical the longer it gets.

True. Maybe this'll be a buy once cry once thing.

About double what I paid for my 1-pc not all that long ago, which makes sense. It's not like a couple of feet of steel ubing cost much, it's all the parts and fittings and labor. And a 2-pc has twice as much of that.

If it makes you feel any better, I spent about $600 having the original 2 piece driveshaft for the 142 shortened, a slip yoke put on, and balanced. They only touched the front half, too.
**** ain't cheap.

I'd be worried about twisting it into a pretzel, but if it's hooking to a stock Volvo axle, it probably wouldn't be the weakest link.

I'd be worried about twisting it into a pretzel, but if it's hooking to a stock Volvo axle, it probably wouldn't be the weakest link.

Not to speak for Jared, but something tells me the event that led to the LS swap donor car being used for the '79 have made him concerned enough about DS strength to have a heavy duty unit fabbed up.

It more depends on how much stick rubber you have on the ground.

With a stock Volvo axle, keep reasonable tires on it, be traction limited in the lower gears, and the Volvo axle and driveshaft would probably stay alive.

os1mCbml.jpg

yWzDZ6Xl.jpg

Thanks to Andrew, Kyle, and Brock for coming up this weekend and kicking ass. This is the first time it's been out of the garage since 2014, and all it needs at this point to drive is a driveshaft and some radiator hoses.

vYI4UY8h.jpg

8HHjl6Zh.jpg

GhtasX0h.jpg

I've also decided that I now want a turbodiesel 4wd Toyota Hiace.

RGYcrOhh.jpg

Nice progress man, keep it up!

Nothing like rolling an old project out into the sunlight with some buddies there to help, to get things going again.

Regarding driveshafts, after dealing with chronic tunnel rub from a 1-piece on a lowered car with a T5 and stock rear axle, I'm firmly in the 2-piece camp unless you're at stock height or lifted. Maybe a smaller diameter steel tube would be the way to go if you're definitely going 1-piece... to avoid the annoying bump rub right at the rear seatbelt bolt area of the tunnel.

Back