• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

e-fan power cut-off relay

BeaverMeat

Maybe I didn?t look hard enough but, I can?t seem to find any wiring diagrams to install a relay to cut power to the e-fan when the key is switched off.

How do you wire this in?

Switched low amperage 12V --> 86
Ground --> 85
non-switched high amperage 12V --> 30
fan --> 87

Or you could cut the signal wire to the current fan relay and route it though terminals 30 and 87.

I went the route of cutting the signal wire on mine, but I also have manual bypasses for track use so that route worked better in my instance.

John's right on the money. Just make sure you use a good relay, as the 940 e-fan's can pull up to 40A.

And I have both my Volvos wired intentionally to allow the fan to run with the key off. On the antiquated PV's unsealed system, a hot shut off can otherwise lead to a couple of burps and a little coolant spillage. And on the turbo LS 240, it's nice to have the fan cycle a couple of times to get everything cooled off a little bit under the hood. I suppose a temp sensor could fail and cause it to run a battery down, but I've never had any issue.

I’m using a Volvo 2-speed relay. To clarify I only want the low speed (which isn’t hooked up) to turn off with the key. I want the high speed to stay on after shutdown.

I am emulating the SN95 Mustang low speed settings with a 208/on 199/off fan switch. At those ranges the fan will stay on for a long time after shutdown.

Was thinking of putting a relay on the low speed signal wire. I just don’t know what circuit to tie into.

Running a cube relay takes almost no current. Just find some switched 12V source and tap it.

The eFan relay triggers 1 & 2 ground through the ECU - if that's what you have. You would just need to cut the #1 low speed ground wire coming from the ECU connector (check the diagram for ECU pin-out) & connect that to the 30 /87 circuit of your new relay, then connect 86 to the accessory power rail in the fuse/relay panel, same for 85 - go the ground rail.

Yeah… it’s a home-brew arrangement of a 5.0HO, 2.4 diesel rad, V6 Contour rad fans, 740 two-speed relay, 760 “Regina” fan switch, and an other fan switch from a European market Suzuki Swift.

I’m going to use the power wire from the aftermarket Sunpro tach. It’s going to get disconnected anyways.

Last edited:
Back