• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Overheated non-start

Jyromefedx

I bought another Volvo this time a 1989 740. I was driving it home on the highway when my friend driving behind me said I should pull over because I was trailing smoke. Waterpump hose blew off as well as another black hose connected to the fuel rail top (looking for part name) Pulled over and towed it back. Its been a few days since and it won't fire up. The starter goes and the engine turns over. Either no fuel or no spark.

What should I be looking for?

Its a non-turbo stock.

Ok, It WAS running until the little "mishap". So let us assume there is spark. You did not mention how long the vehicle was "trailing smoke". If the hose blew, and it was steam that was visible from under/around the car, was it caught early? Or was it smoke from the tailpipe? Was the engine definitely overheated? Check the dipstick, any evidence of water? Does the oil smell "cooked"? If it was over-baked, do a compression test. Autozone & O'Reilly's have free "Loaner" tools available if you do not have a gauge. If the compression is way off in one or two cylinders, you can guess the reason of the no-start. Get back to us after these basic checks.

ss, I just noticed your location, I don't think those auto parts stores service your area. Then Beg/Borrow/find a steal-of-a-deal on a compression gauge.

Last edited:
Ok, It WAS running until the little "mishap". So let us assume there is spark. You did not mention how long the vehicle was "trailing smoke". If the hose blew, and it was steam that was visible from under/around the car, was it caught early? Or was it smoke from the tailpipe? Was the engine definitely overheated? Check the dipstick, any evidence of water? Does the oil smell "cooked"? If it was over-baked, do a compression test. . Get back to us after these basic checks.

I think I should provide more information that may be useful.
The car had been sitting in a field for sometime Approx 1-2 years. I bought it off the Canadian equivalent of craigs list for cheap as the car needed its water pump replaced but as this 740 came with another parts 740 I went out with some friends swapped waterpumps between
cars refilled coolant and headed out. On the Grid road to the highway the seemingly
decayed rad hose came off at the pump and split the tip dumping coolant and covering the engine bay. Pulled over shortened the rad hose to get rid of the split end filled coolant with left over water let her cool for a little then went on the high way for about 10 min until I got the call to pull over. Checked the engine, New split mystery hose on the fuel rail and a steady stream of smoke between the block and valve cover so almost certain the headgasket is toast.

Engines can still fire(the unaffected cylinders) with a blown headgasket, I am looking for the other issues preventing a start.

There are 3 hoses on the fuel rail. One is a small vacuum hose connected from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold, I assume that is not the hose to which you are referring. The other two hoses are fuel supply, and fuel return. The fuel return is held on w/ a hose clamp due to low pressure. The fuel supply is a high pressure hose using compression fittings.
The smoke coming from between the block and the valve cover "could" be coming from the PCV system. There is the oil trap (plastic "can" bolted to the block behind the starter, and the rubber hose that goes from there to intake manifold. It is a large rubber hose that connects to the center plenum facing the valve cover (right where all of the runners converge). If there is visible smoke from there, toast does not even cover it.

1) since there is not a big red arrow pointing to the hose in question, I can only make an assumption. I believe you are referring to the crankcase ventilation system hose.
GR-61781.jpg

2) check out the engine on the parts car, if you were able to get it home...(or, get down & dirty on a rebuild?) I don't want to speculate on the state of the engine without more info and/or pics/video. But 3 oil fouled plugs is not indicative of a long future for the engine.

As to the hose, that definatly is the crankcase ventilation, it goes from the flame trap to the air intake hose just before the throttle body. look on the diagram for the part that looks like an upside-down (tobacco) pipe with a long, curved stem. As to the question about a rebuild kit, the answer depends on who is asking.
Is it your "Inner Vulcan"? or your "Inner Klingon?". I do not have experience in rebuilding Volvos. I have had 3, but I am in the middle of my first tear down (don't ask, I don't want to go into it now). There are people here who have the knowledge and experience for that issue. John V. is a member here and he does High Performance, and he has custom pistons and rods. There is the widely known yoshifab.com as well. If you are looking for more stock/street, then there is IPD and also FCPEuro. I would suggest that if you are planning to "Get Down & Dirty" that you post a separate question about engine rebuilding, either in maintenance & non-performance or performance & suspension. The veterans will find you quickly, and give you all of the help you need. Good Luck, and Keep Rolling!

......................................................................................... :volvo:

Last edited:
Post a new question here in maint & non-perf. the help is invaluable. for parts the mainstays are FCPEuro, and IPD.

And of course there is always Google Shopping. :jk:

I had a 2001 corolla that tossed the belt and overheated and turned into a no start. Compression was far too low. Valves burned up. Head gasket wasn't even visually blown. With a fresh head and gasket it is running again.

start with spark test and try to fire it on ether. Then do a compression test. Click link in my signature.

Spark test is easy. Ground a plug wire.

for fuel test you can spray injectors in the air. Reinstall ground wires, disable ignition or fire may ensue, crank and see what happens.

Compression Test Update.
Cylinder
1. 45
2. 25
3. 45
4. 100

UHHH... Skip all further testing, refer back to :

Post a new question here in maint & non-perf. the help is invaluable. for parts the mainstays are FCPEuro, and IPD.

And of course there is always Google Shopping. :jk:

Depending on your mental outlook, it is time to get down and dirty, and have some "FUN!"

Also look for a complete car that has been smacked or rusted underside, if you have room to store it. It is nice to have a parts car... But one question, if you are planing to rebuild a JY motor, wouldn't be easier to over bore and go for the result you were considering (in the back of your mind...)? Anyway, I hope you find a good late B230, preferably after 93.

Back