• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 '90 240 Replaced Radiator, now leaking ATF

thro1264

Hey all,

I just replaced the radiator on my automatic 1990 240 DL on account of a radiator seal coolant leak. After I replaced it I drove it on the highway and immediately realized that it was gushing ATF. I figured the reason was that I had tightened the transmission cooling lines onto the fittings but not tightened the fittings into the radiator itself. Was this an inaccurate analysis of what was going on? I have since tightened those fittings into the radiator and still see ATF coming out from the exposed threads on the fittings. Is there something I'm missing here. I have been sure to make the connection between the transmission lines and the fittings good and snug and also made sure that the threads were catching smoothly. I'm confused. This is the new radiator I purchased if that helps anyone. Thanks and hope you all had a happy halloween!

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7264/Radiator-200-700-900-for-Volvo-Aftermarket-CU83-8603894-114414

Sorry I don’t know the automatics but it’s a flared fitting right? If not there should be some kind of o ring in it to seal. Could be a different flare angle between the radiator and fluid lines which would stop it from sealing

Is it possible that you cross thread the lines onto the radiator? I’d take them back off and inspect the fittings on the lines and the ports on the radiator. Make sure you still have good threads. I changed the radiator on my auto 242 this summer, and when I first started it up after changing I was leaking atf. I had to go back and tighten the fittings tighter than I thought I would’ve needed to to stop the leak.

Back