• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Instrument Cluster Compatibility

billkaz

Bomber Dream
1992 240 Wagon. Non ABS.

Instrument cluster in my 240 needs some attention. Odometer gear, trip odometer reset, light bulbs, etc.

I found an older (r0.980) cluster in the crawlspace that I had forgotten about. I know the speedometer won't work, but can I use that older one and keep the car still be reasonably driveable?

I really only need it mobile enough to move it every few days so I don't get a parking ticket.

Your car will run fine without any cluster in there. Won't charge the battery without the cluster though. So don't run it long. The older cluster probably won't have various lights like the check engine or service light. So, they aren't totally compatible.

Wired differently, so, no, won't work. 1986-on cars have cluster power going through the speed sensor plug. I'd just replace the bulbs on the 1992 cluster and then pick up a working K9800 or K6241 speedo if your car truly is a non-ABS car. Otherwise, you need a K39200 or K24964 speedo, which most 1992-93 North American 240s come with.

Your car will run fine without any cluster in there. Won't charge the battery without the cluster though.

You'll be able to move it around without the charging system, hell you can drive from Davis to Sacramento...Just not home without another battery:roll:

Wired differently, so, no, won't work. 1986-on cars have cluster power going through the speed sensor plug. I'd just replace the bulbs on the 1992 cluster and then pick up a working K9800 or K6241 speedo if your car truly is a non-ABS car. Otherwise, you need a K39200 or K24964 speedo, which most 1992-93 North American 240s come with.

Just wondering, but are all 1986+ clusters basically the same? Is it just the different speedos for sedan/wagon and abs/non-abs? I guess some of the warning lights might be different, but are they interchangeable otherwise?

Just wondering, but are all 1986+ clusters basically the same? Is it just the different speedos for sedan/wagon and abs/non-abs? I guess some of the warning lights might be different, but are they interchangeable otherwise?

From what I gather, there are some differences in the wiring, the plastic backpanel that the circuit board attaches to, etc...

1986-88 don't have the service light reset switch on the back of the speedo, instead just having a non-working Lambda-Sond light, like a late 1985 240.

1989 has the service light reset switch, but no reset tube that allows usage of the front mounted reset button, which is required on the 1990-on cars. Gauges are now matte, and warning light strips no longer have the white text and pictograms on them. 55 mph indicator line is no longer orange, but white. Cluster frame revised for the matte finish.

1990-91 are the 1989 cluster, with an added hole next to the OD OFF light that has a service light reset button - see above with respect to the metal tube that operates the switch on the speedo. Backing plate revised. The "5" indicator for overdrive is replaced with the SRS warning light.

1992-93 is where the ABS-specific clusters appeared. Again, new circuit boards, plus the new speedos...

From what I gather, there are some differences in the wiring, the plastic backpanel that the circuit board attaches to, etc...

1986-88 don't have the service light reset switch on the back of the speedo, instead just having a non-working Lambda-Sond light, like a late 1985 240.

1989 has the service light reset switch, but no reset tube that allows usage of the front mounted reset button, which is required on the 1990-on cars. Gauges are now matte, and warning light strips no longer have the white text and pictograms on them. 55 mph indicator line is no longer orange, but white. Cluster frame revised for the matte finish.

1990-91 are the 1989 cluster, with an added hole next to the OD OFF light that has a service light reset button - see above with respect to the metal tube that operates the switch on the speedo. Backing plate revised. The "5" indicator for overdrive is replaced with the SRS warning light.

1992-93 is where the ABS-specific clusters appeared. Again, new circuit boards, plus the new speedos...

That's really good information. Mine is definately a non-abs 1992. Must a weird Canadian base model thing or something.

I may be overthinking things a bit, as usual. I'm sure it will be fine on the street for a day while I fix up the cluster.

Back