home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Default Volvo 940(740) with 302mm 850 Brakes (Picture Heavy)

Ok so first off most all of this info is a copy from this thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156900
Edit, I found the post about it on TB
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=261539

Thanks again to the OP

But I figured I would put something up here since for the TB Crowd with a bit more pictures.

This is a quick listing of the parts I used and where I got them that allowed me to upgrade from the stock 11"(280mm) Jumbo brakes on the late model 940's to the 11.89" (302mm) rotors and calipers off and 850 (technically V70 iirc).

Parts used
First off I picked up a set of 302mm brackets from IPD for $90. If you know what you are looking for you can find a set in the junkyard.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9263...50-s70-v70-c70

Next from Baer Brakes I picked up the 4 spacers needed for $ 2.25 each. Part number 6260124, they are .250" thick and worked perfect for around $14 shipped for the 4 pack. These looked to fit near perfect despite the original post asking for 6.3mm spacers.

Next was longer bolts from McMaster, 94036A835 Class 8.8 Steel Flanged Hex Head Screws, Medium-Strength, M12 x 1.75 mm Thread, 35 mm Long, packs of 10 for $6.28 I am sure you can get any type of bolt this is what I used.

From here I picked up a set of 302mm rotors and stock 850 Calipers from RockAuto. The calipers were 19P1733 (19-P1733) and 19P1732 (19-P1732) at a cost of around $28 each for reman units. The rotors were 12039023 (120.39023) for $38 each. If you really wanted to go cheap again I am sure you could find something in a local junkyard if you look hard enough.

As for pads pretty much pick whatver pads you want.

The actual swap is very easy, took me about 35 min for the second side and a bit longer the first side as I was figuring stuff out. I was able to use the stock length hoses (I had SS lines already). Besides having to Grind out part of the bracket these are straight up bolt on.

First up was the stock Jumbo brakes, the reason I removed them is because one of the calipers was draging on one side so this was the cheapest path for an upgrade.

With everything removed I test fit the 302mm brackets to check for cleanance on the abs sensor.

Here is a picture of the spacers installed

After a little time on the grinder the bracket should look something like this.

A comparison of the rotor sizes,

New rotors and brackets installed showing fit and clearance

Calipers installed lines in place

Calipers installed with Spacers

Pictures of the stock 850 caliper brackets next to the 302 Caliper Bracket

Last edited by thelostartof; 09-04-2018 at 10:23 PM..
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

I didn't know that IPD had those abutment brackets (to receive the calipers). I bought mine from SKANDIX in Germany.

As my 940 hasn't yet left the workshop, I don't have any feedback on the performance improvement. I bought Zimmermann sport rotors with the gas venting holes thru them, also 302mm. Went with AKEBONO pads up front based on their excellent reviews. My calipers were rebuilds right off eBay for the 850s (same exact piston diameter as the later 9 series calipers). The biggest advantage of this upgrade is the leverage by mounting the caliper piston at a further radius from the wheel center.

Nicely written up and documented! Some head to head stopping distance data would be a dream.... but not likely on TB.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Mbeas96
Board Member

nice, I'm gonna love this when it comes time for brakes on the 740.

reading the other article answered my question of grinding the mounting brackets! Awesome, thanks again!

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910

Last edited by Mbeas96; 08-28-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

There are xc90 kits out there also, for the size queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Details about it?

I have heard about the dvs kit to use the s40 t5 calipers and 320mm rotors and those should work with the same 6.5mm spacers along with thier adapter kit. There are also a few options when it comes to wilwood parts or s60rs. This is a nice quick and easy swap that costs a lot less for new parts that the other kits.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Details about it?

I have heard about the dvs kit to use the s40 t5 calipers and 320mm rotors and those should work with the same 6.5mm spacers along with thier adapter kit. There are also a few options when it comes to wilwood parts or s60rs. This is a nice quick and easy swap that costs a lot less for new parts that the other kits.
http://www.dvs.net.au/320conv.html

Here's the link for reference. These are starting to show up in the yards around here, so this looks like an even better/more modern swap, also with lots of pad options, etc.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Details about it?

Did you ever pursue this? I couldn't find anything searching, so I'm probably not using the right terms.

I have all the stock brake parts from my C30 T5M, so thinking I should make them fit to offset the V8 project.....

EDIT. -I don't have any stock rotors, I also don't see how this can work with the P1 rotors being the incorrect bore for the 700/900 hub

EDIT - just going to go with the 302 setup - need to stick with brakes that will fit in the 16" wheels without machine work.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-04-2022 at 12:06 PM..
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

Quote:
You keep referencing size queens.

Quote:
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
SquareD
An Anomaly

Nice writeup, thanks for formalizing this. So there's plenty of length with stock length brake lines? I too have stainless lines and really don't need ARRR brakes, but if this upgrade works well with stock lines then this swap is pretty tempting.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 15psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, Forge CBV, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, TME upper/CT lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Nice writeup, thanks for formalizing this. So there's plenty of length with stock length brake lines? I too have stainless lines and really don't need ARRR brakes, but if this upgrade works well with stock lines then this swap is pretty tempting.
I do not know about the stock rubber lines, I know my SS lines with the OEM adapter fits and doesn't stretch at full lock. The caliper has a slightly different position of the over over stock so it helps also. I will try to get some pics at full lock. Then again my 235 tires hit the frame rail on full lock also.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
I do not know about the stock rubber lines, I know my SS lines with the OEM adapter fits and doesn't stretch at full lock. The caliper has a slightly different position of the over over stock so it helps also. I will try to get some pics at full lock. Then again my 235 tires hit the frame rail on full lock also.
Can you measure the length of your brake lines too? Are they IPD lines? If you list your lengths and they are long enough it gives some context to what lengths should work. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
http://www.dvs.net.au/320conv.html

Here's the link for reference. These are starting to show up in the yards around here, so this looks like an even better/more modern swap, also with lots of pad options, etc.
Interdasting.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #12
BR1CKHOUS3
I like the tuna here

I just did my front brakes like 2 days ago Thanks for posting, definitely noted for next time
Only two ways to find out...18 bolts or 18psi
BR1CKHOUS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Oh yeah for the money you can't beat the 302mm rotors.

Here's the link: https://www.l-m-r.se/p/volvo/940-960...31&market_id=4
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Redrilled rotors... Doh, I am trying to stay a fan of bolt on oe units. This is why I like the s40 t5 calipers and rotor option next.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:24 AM   #15
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Did you need to install the wheel spacers to clear the rotors, or was that to install a 5 x 108 wheel with a different offset?

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #16
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

the Wheel spacers were just for the FWD offset wheels.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #17
mark244turbo
Board Member

Nice write-up. Brings back memories of my 745 turbo.

I installed new 302mm rotors and v70 callipers with police brake pads described in the voloforums article. Bleeded the brake with a brake bleeder kit.

The hardest part was disconnecting the brake lines without braking them. Installation was an easy job.
1983 244 turbo B21FT/AW71 - leather /airconditioning
1987 244 GLT - Polaris, Strutbar, viking motorsport lower chassis brace, k-cam, gaz strut/shocks, pu-bushings
mark244turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

nice swap.. did that also on my 16v brakes like a charm but looks just too OEMish for my taste.. i do like 6pot calipers in red more over this :D
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #19
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

111.89 in rotors? DAMN man! lol (FYI, typo Mike).

For the S40 T5 320's, those are only on the manual C30 and manual AWD S40/V50's. I haven't seen a set in the yards yet, as that is on tap for the V50 as well (auto AWD came with 300's).

Nice writeup Mike!
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

Still your local Superpro dealer!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
111.89 in rotors? DAMN man! lol (FYI, typo Mike).

For the S40 T5 320's, those are only on the manual C30 and manual AWD S40/V50's. I haven't seen a set in the yards yet, as that is on tap for the V50 as well (auto AWD came with 300's).

Nice writeup Mike!
They are cheap enough to by new or reman units, I was looking on RockAuto and the prices are really not that bad.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Nice clarification. Sounds like a rare bird at the junk yard for sure.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #22
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Yeah, that's my plan as well, since they are cheap enough. Looks like a few of the reman's actually come with the adapters for about the same price as well.

We'll be into it around $400 I suspect once everything is said and done, between calipers, pads, lines, rotors, brackets, and cryo on the pads and rotors.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #23
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's my plan as well, since they are cheap enough. Looks like a few of the reman's actually come with the adapters for about the same price as well.

We'll be into it around $400 I suspect once everything is said and done, between calipers, pads, lines, rotors, brackets, and cryo on the pads and rotors.
Just glanced around on rock Auto. They want more for some of the core charges than they want for the caliper. How does that make sense? $400 doesn't seem bad, but my math is adding up different. I'll search the world wide web more for the deals.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #24
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

The question I face now is what front brake setup I want to run on my cars? As my 744 already has the Wilwood w/ 12.19" rotors but I want to swap those rotors out for the S60R rotors with the adapters I have here from NIW. But then I also happen to have a set of S60R calipers here (front and rear), what should those go on?

I have a feeling that this 302mm upgrade might just be a temp thing as as I happen to have a spare set of the NIW adapters so if I can source another set of calipers I could have all 3 of my cars with s60r rotors and I hate to say it but the rotor size really does matter.

And for those asking about the Brake hose length, This should give you a bit more detail to the length of my SS hoses that I am using with the 302mm swap, I will try to get a picture of them at full lock next time I drive the car (waiting for a new wideband 02 sensor to come in).

Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #25
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

If you have the R calipers, they have a lot more pad surface than the Wilwoods when mated to the S60R rotors. The 7420's use about 3/4 of the rotor surface. The Wilwoods are also a ton lighter, plus if you go with them all the way around, it's one pad set to have in stock, not two, but pad choices are a bit more spendy.

Personally, I'd stay Wilwood if you already have the goods to do so. Maybe leave the 302's on the wife's daily since I'm guessing she may not beat on it quite as much as you?