home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
Broke4speed
Board Member

Default Dumb LS swap question #2: FIREWALL clearance + STS mounts

I can't ask the exact question I need to due to the idiocy of my swap idea (Ford T5 with a Chevy 621 bellhousing), but I figure I can find 'close enough' in the answers to ease my mind.

With the STS mounts is there any need to clearance the entry point to the tunnel with a chevy bellhousing? I'm using a BBC 621 reproduction bellhousing from GM, so I don't know exactly what auto it is closest in size to (TH350? TH400? 4L60E?), but has anyone had to massage the firewall area to fit their swaps? The T5 is TINY so I know the tunnel won't be an issue, but I can't really find much info on the firewall area, let alone with a manual box. This might sound stupid, but if I have to beat up any of my car...I may not do the swap. I don't know if I could stomach hammering away on the best 'toy' car I've ever had, lol.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
sbabbs
Board Member

Depends if it's a 240 you should beat the sheet out of it with a big hammer to make everything "fit". If it's a 740, plenty of room...
1995 940 White racing wagoon. 13c.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Broke4speed
Board Member

It's a 240.
I'm only concerned about the entry point at the firewall, because of the bellhousing. The box itself is a T5, so there's no need to shape the tunnel for that. I'm VERY torn over whether or not I want to bash up my car for an engine swap.

It's pretty hard to find a definite answer whether or not the STS mounts require any firewall adjustments with a standard GM bellhousing.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
VB242
I.M. Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
It's a 240.
I'm only concerned about the entry point at the firewall, because of the bellhousing. The box itself is a T5, so there's no need to shape the tunnel for that. I'm VERY torn over whether or not I want to bash up my car for an engine swap.

It's pretty hard to find a definite answer whether or not the STS mounts require any firewall adjustments with a standard GM bellhousing.
There is only one way to find out, grasshopper, if you do have to bash it, no one will ever see it cause it will be blocked by V8 engine.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #5
Broke4speed
Board Member

I mean yeah...but there's enough people out there using STS mounts I figured there would be someone who could let me know if I've got to include a hand-sledge in my swap toolbox or if I could get away with NOT doing that.

Sub-question: Can I swing the engine/trans combo in and out without notching the crossmember if I'm using the holley swap pan?

Edit: In patrickstars build thread he used a 4L60E bellhousing and an AR5 trans with STS mounts and reports no tunnel bashing needed. That's a really great sign .

Last edited by Broke4speed; 07-24-2022 at 07:33 PM..
Old 07-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
patrickstar
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
I mean yeah...but there's enough people out there using STS mounts I figured there would be someone who could let me know if I've got to include a hand-sledge in my swap toolbox or if I could get away with NOT doing that.

Sub-question: Can I swing the engine/trans combo in and out without notching the crossmember if I'm using the holley swap pan?

Edit: In patrickstars build thread he used a 4L60E bellhousing and an AR5 trans with STS mounts and reports no tunnel bashing needed. That's a really great sign .
Ha, I was just about to reply but it looks like you found the answer. My car has not been touched by a hammer for clearance purposes.

Also, no notch needed with the Holley swap pan. It can be tricky to get it in and out, definitely get a leveler for your cherry picker if you can

@beige242 on instagram
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
Broke4speed
Board Member

UPDATE:

I have the engine as far back as the slots on the STS mounts will allow...and there's STILL an inch or so before the bellhousing even comes close to touching the firewall. Tunnel clearance is outstanding too.

Here's my recipe: LS 4.8 w/621 bellhousing (reproduction chevy big block manual bell), a 5/8" adapter plate from Muncie to Ford T5 pattern from Hot Rod Works, and a WC SN94 box with the swapped input shaft. There is so much clearance it's incredible .