home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #26
widewagon92
now with more caffeine!

Mini update: I've discovered that my wideband has likely been reading incorrectly this entire time. A new one was fitted last night and the car now reads high 10s to low 11s at idle. When I get a chance to drive it I'll see what the gauge says at different throttle inputs and boost levels.

To those shopping for a wideband, avoid my pain and wasted time and make sure your wideband comes with a Bosch sensor in the box, not a cheap knockoff.
widewagon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #27
widewagon92
now with more caffeine!

Forgot to answer MDDave, my fuel pressure while driving around checked out.

Some numbers from my drive to work this morning:

Idle: 11.8-12.4
Light/Moderate throttle: 13.6-14.4
Heavy/Full throttle: 10.3-10.8

I also noticed that if i took my foot off the throttle completely while the car was in gear, the gauge would display three dashes. Going to do some more reading to see if it doesn't show off-throttle readings under load or if this meant I was leaning out. Idle and acceleration all around were terrible and shaky, heard some popping through the intake under heavier acceleration a few times. Going to try stuffing the guts of a spare maf into the housing of my 3" one and see if that gets my afrs a little less rich.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #28
widewagon92
now with more caffeine!

Three month bump because I'm back on my bull**** again.

Turns out the clutch was slipping - to anyone else planning a t5 swap, ensure your trans is fully flush with the adapter plate on the bellhousing. I put the bellhousing+plate in the car first and then attached the trans because it made it easier to lift without a trans jack, and mine was off enough to cause uneven engagement of the pressure plate. Fixed and the car is now slipless.

We're back to bucking hard if you floor it again. The girlfriend followed me on a test pull and said that when the bucking occurred I shot flames out the tailpipe. While very cool, I'd prefer speed instead. Since my last post, I've switched to NGK bpr8es plugs gapped to 0.025". bougicord plug wires, inspected and cleaned the distributor, running a reman'd 012 maf, new redblockpowered chips (thanks cam, my afr's are finally healthy). IAC and ignition amp have been replaced, tried advancing and retarding the cam gear, tried bpr6es plugs instead, all with no change. I'll try to grab a video of the bucking if I get the chance, but anything else I should check?
Old 11-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #29
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

I'm leaning toward making sure the mechanical timing is correct. Sounds like the timing belt may be off a tooth.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:26 PM   #30
thessejway
¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯

How's your crank position sensor? I was having similar issues on my 940 a couple weeks ago when my CPS got drenched in coolant from a leak.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #31
widewagon92
now with more caffeine!

Checked mechanical timing and it was dead on, bucking issue persisted. Swapped in a known good CPS and no change. I've had all the bits for wasted spark sitting in a box under the coffee table for a few weeks now, so I went ahead and tossed all the stuff in. Fires up and idles great, but from parking on the slight incline in my driveway it seems a good amount of fluid leaked out the breather hole on my t5 slip yoke. Because I insist on trying the thing I know I'll regret before fixing it properly, that hole is getting some JB weld. I'll drain and refill the trans soon and get the car on the road for testing.