home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default Gauging interest Tremec tkx>m40/41 adapter

I know that the there are adapters for the tko to m46/47 bellhousings out there and readily available. But I’ve got a tkx on the way and started designing an adapter for the m40/41 bellhousing to a tkx tcet18086 (ford 10 spline 1-1/16 input shaft). Trans should be here next week and I can throw it on the cmm and get the last few details done on the design. Perfect timing, I’ve gotten into a new shop space and am getting my HAAS vf3 calibrated at the end of the month. But before I pull the trigger on some materials, wanted to see if there was interest in a single pattern, vertical m40/41>tkx tcet18086 trans?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Build it, break it, build what broke stronger, lather, rinse, repeat.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
joel142
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

My heart says yes, my mind says probably.

The cold hard math is that I can start making more power in the 142, break the now M41, break the backup M41, and then pay the money to upgrade the transmission or just sell the M41s and use that money to upgrade now. It seems like those, the cross member, driveshafts, etc... are going for good money these days.

I'm definitely driving it 'softly' and downshifting out of 5th if I'm getting on it.
__________________
'71 142E, B230FT, M41, Corbeau GT seats, iPd bars and springs, Nardi wheel, GT gauges, Bilsteins, Canisto wheels, 7" Cibies
'95 T5-R, yellow, M56H swap
'06 R500, Built like a steak house; handles like bistro
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #3
joel142
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

I can see the motivation on this transmission: M41 ratios and 600ft lbs of torque capacity. I don't see myself needing 600ft lbs any time soon but it could be really nice to not need to worry on the drivetrain front.

M41 (from Wikipedia)
  1. 3.13
  2. 1.99
  3. 1.359
  4. 1.00
  5. 0.77

tkx tcet18086
  1. 3.27
  2. 1.98
  3. 1.34
  4. 1.00
  5. 0.72

I do like my long handled shifter (for the vintage feel) but it makes the pattern really wide. I think the throws are in roughly a 1ft box?
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel142 View Post
I can see the motivation on this transmission: M41 ratios and 600ft lbs of torque capacity. I don't see myself needing 600ft lbs any time soon but it could be really nice to not need to worry on the drivetrain front.

M41 (from Wikipedia)
  1. 3.13
  2. 1.99
  3. 1.359
  4. 1.00
  5. 0.77

tkx tcet18086
  1. 3.27
  2. 1.98
  3. 1.34
  4. 1.00
  5. 0.72

I do like my long handled shifter (for the vintage feel) but it makes the pattern really wide. I think the throws are in roughly a 1ft box?
That’s exactly what drove me to this idea. That and I broke my “built” g-force t5, and the response from G-Force was that I was making too much power for their “450” hp main shaft.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #5
joel142
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
That’s exactly what drove me to this idea. That and I broke my “built” g-force t5, and the response from G-Force was that I was making too much power for their “450” hp main shaft.
Do you have an idea on cost? The more I think about it the more sense it makes to sell the two M41's (and associated bits) to the "P1800 Purist Society" and upgrade.

If those known-good units fetch anywhere near their prices on eBay this could be the first (and only) time I'll ever make money off that car!
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #6
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Gearbox is 2800 from summit. I’d reckon the cost for the adapter to be inline with others. So somewhere around 250-275 with hardware. It’s going to depend a bit on how much interest. If I can pull together enough, cost might drop.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #7
joel142
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

That sounds completely reasonable - keep me in the loop for the progress.

I think my project plan is to install and check out the spare "works great" M41 this winter. If it lives up to the seller's description sell whichever one is out of the car next spring and start in on this in earnest.
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
spock345
Board Member
 
spock345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Livermore, CA
Default

If the TKX has the same pattern as the T5 then I am game for this. I've got a working M41 but noise has started in 3rd. Thinking a Ford T5 with an S10 tail housing swap.
__________________
1967 122s, carbed B20F, M41, the sports tractor
1998 S70, grandma-mobile
1980 245
1989 240 B230F, V15 cam, chipped EZK, M47 swap (Lost a fight with a Chevy express van), the millennial falcon
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
If the TKX has the same pattern as the T5 then I am game for this. I've got a working M41 but noise has started in 3rd. Thinking a Ford T5 with an S10 tail housing swap.
It’s similar to a Chevy t5 bellhousing pattern. Also fits the tko-500/600.

Does not fit the narrow ford t5 (I could do these)

Not sure if Roger Dee is doing m41>ford t5’s. If he’s not, I will.

Last edited by cwdodson88; 10-23-2022 at 02:25 PM..
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:28 AM   #10
Superhans240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Vancouver BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I know that the there are adapters for the tko to m46/47 bellhousings out there and readily available. But I’ve got a tkx on the way and started designing an adapter for the m40/41 bellhousing to a tkx tcet18086 (ford 10 spline 1-1/16 input shaft). Trans should be here next week and I can throw it on the cmm and get the last few details done on the design. Perfect timing, I’ve gotten into a new shop space and am getting my HAAS vf3 calibrated at the end of the month. But before I pull the trigger on some materials, wanted to see if there was interest in a single pattern, vertical m40/41>tkx tcet18086 trans?
What tko adapter for m46/47 is readily available?
Superhans240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #11
spock345
Board Member
 
spock345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Livermore, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
It’s similar to a Chevy t5 bellhousing pattern. Also fits the tko-500/600.

Does not fit the narrow ford t5 (I could do these)

Not sure if Roger Dee is doing m41>ford t5’s. If he’s not, I will.
If you are doing an M41->T5 adapter I am interested.
spock345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #12
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhans240 View Post
What tko adapter for m46/47 is readily available?
Probably refering to the BNE kit that's been sold out for too long

The TKO and tkx share a pattern? Tkx would be a nice upgrade if I screwed up building this T5.

Jordan
__________________
80 242- 2.5L 16V, NIW intake/exhaust, GT3076, MAxxECU Race, KL Stg 2 cams. T5 w/ 2.95 gearset. Porsche brakes, Gaz short coilovers/shocks and Kaplenkhe suspension, Trutrack.
Project Thread- http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324470
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #13
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Probably refering to the BNE kit that's been sold out for too long

The TKO and tkx share a pattern? Tkx would be a nice upgrade if I screwed up building this T5.

Jordan
Should be able to change that status early December. Wrapping up the current bottleneck now
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #14
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
If you are doing an M41->T5 adapter I am interested.
Ok, I’ll keep that on the list. Send me a pm, I might have something you’d be interested in.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #15
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Probably refering to the BNE kit that's been sold out for too long

The TKO and tkx share a pattern? Tkx would be a nice upgrade if I screwed up building this T5.

Jordan
The tko and tkx share the same bellhousing pattern and trans X member placement. It’s just better at handling higher rpm shifts, and case design is more compact, and rigid.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.