home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
stove
Board Member

Default Dropping in the block mounted Yoshi CAS

There are no marks, what position is the slot supposed to be in, with engine @ TDC?

And once this is correct, how do you confirm the CAS itself is not 180º out, it seems sealed?
My guess is it don't matter.

I have no interest in actually learning anything about how this works yet, I am simply installing
parts for an enthusiast from here, who does not have time currently for wrenching.

Please do not point me to the 8 page CAS "article". I skimmed it, lost interest and hope for an answer.

Thanks!

Last edited by stove; 11-18-2022 at 11:46 AM..
stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Quote:
Originally Posted by stove View Post
There are no marks, what position is the slot supposed to be in, with engine @ TDC?

And once this is correct, how do you confirm the CAS itself is not 180º out, it seems sealed?
My guess is it don't matter.

I have no interest in actually learning anything about how this works yet, I am simply installing
parts for an enthusiast from here, who does not have time currently for wrenching.

Please do not point me to the 8 page CAS thread. I skimmed it, lost interest and hope for an answer.

Thanks!
At least you honestly disclose your laziness and expectations that others will donate their time instead of you spending a little time and effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
740atl
Gear acquisition syndrome

The little end goes in first.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
stove
Board Member

It's not about laziness. It's about needlessly having to charge someone for my time installing something that should have simple instructions with it. It's not like it's a cheap product, or that it doesn't take forever to receive. I just thought a simple answer could be had this way. Guess I forgot the TB way.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
stove
Board Member

How about this. IS there an answer to my question in the 8 pages of information, (which has the first 5 posts deleted??) that is otherwise completely irrelevant to my OP? If so I'll gladly muck through the mind numbing subject to save the TB the time.

Last edited by stove; 11-18-2022 at 11:58 AM..
Old 11-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I don't know if there's an answer in that 8 page thread. I just saw a pic of what position the high res shutter wheel should be in at #1 TDC, and then fussed with it until that happened.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showp...&postcount=208

The cap on the CAS is easily removed, a couple of screws and it has a little gasket to keep dust out.

You'll still obviously need to do fine tuning from there with a timing light, and possible futz around with the trigger angle setting in MS. To a certain extent, youi could probably slam that CAS in at almost any position and get it to work by futzing with the trigger angle.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
stove
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I don't know if there's an answer in that 8 page thread. I just saw a pic of what position the high res shutter wheel should be in at #1 TDC, and then fussed with it until that happened.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showp...&postcount=208

The cap on the CAS is easily removed, a couple of screws and it has a little gasket to keep dust out.

You'll still obviously need to do fine tuning from there with a timing light, and possible futz around with the trigger angle setting in MS. To a certain extent, youi could probably slam that CAS in at almost any position and get it to work by futzing with the trigger angle.
Excellent, thank you so much!

Cheers,

~ Steve
Old 11-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I think that thread was a bit more useful (at least on the early pages) before gross polluter got pissed of at something and edited all his posts to a '.'
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #9
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
gross polluter got pissed of at something
Did grass grow? A bird chirp? Or the wind blow? It doesn’t take much

Last edited by Stiggy Pop; 11-18-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:46 PM   #10
Alan29
Board Member

It's been a bit but you could wayback the thread and get all the relevant info before the cleansing.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

you drop it in. how you wish to approach that with respect to how the software gets set up with ______________ standalone is, for lack of a better term, dealer's choice.

If you're gonna be lazy, we're gonna be lazy.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #12
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Did grass grow? A bird chirp? Or the wind blow? It doesn’t take much
never had that particular issue with him, but folks want to argue about stuff they know nothing about, and if one is on some level inclined to be a helpful person and gets bull**** pushed back some of us respond in kind.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan29 View Post
It's been a bit but you could wayback the thread and get all the relevant info before the cleansing.
most of what it covered were software settings, and personal preferences.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:32 PM   #14
Alan29
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
most of what it covered were software settings, and personal preferences.
I might be thinking of a different thread which had a ton of info on tree the hardware for the swap.
Alan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #15
142 guy
Board Member

You will need to install the Yoshifab high resolution trigger disc in the sensor because I am not aware of any of the OEM discs that can be made to work - at least with MSExtra. When swapping discs do not separate the actual optical detector from the body of the sensor. Loosen the retaining nut, slide the OEM disc out of the optical detector, slide the new disc in place and tighten the nut. Mount the sensor on the Yoshifab adapter. The sensor will have 4 pins, cam out, tach out, ground and +12v. I believe the pin assignment varies depending on the OEM that 'donates' the sensor so you will need to figure that out depending on what sensor you are using. If you temporarily power up the sensor and connect temporary pull ups to the cam and tach lines you can detect the cam and tach signals with a test light. You will want to install the sensor / adapter in the block with the cam signal occurring at some defined offset angle before #1 TDC firing.

The offset angle before #1 TDC will depend on the ECU that you are using which will influence whether you trigger on cam pulse going high or going low which then defines the next tach 'tooth' as #1. You can fine tune the rotation of the Yoshifab adapter to get the offset angle you want; but, the adapter needs to be relatively close when it goes in. I don't know about the OHC blocks; but, on the B20 you are restricted in the ability to rotate the sensor because the hardware bangs into the block.

The selection of the offset angle, the going high and low stuff and the ignition outputs will depend on the controller / firmware that you are using and the hardware configuration of the coils and drivers. Getting the sensor and adapter into the block and the sensor wiring done is the trivial part. Getting the firmware configuration set up so that it works is the hard part and that depends on the system that you are installing.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote