home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #1
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Default V8 Swap info - need help with accessory drive stuff

OK - so I'm using an LR4 4.8L from a 2004 Silverado 1500.

But... I'm using a LS6 intake manifold (12573572), which now means the accessory drive has to change

The coil bracket also has to change

The steam pipe is also off - but I tweaked that to allow clearance

I need help - I don't know what specific model and year to look up to get the alt/PS bracket that will work, along with water pump, and I assume crank pulley.

I also don't know if my AC compressor will fit now.

Any help with what vehicle to use for reference when researching the brackets I need would be greatly appreciated !

EDIT - quoting JohnMC from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Mine was a truck motor too, an alu 5.3 LH8 from a Hummer Alpha. LS parts all swap back and forth pretty extensively, I think (talking Gen 3 and 4) In terms of front end accessories poking up where the lower car intake's throttle body needs to be.

My motor came from a front-crashed truck, I was pretty much starting with a blank slate, so I used Corvette front end stuff, it's is about an inch shorter (length, not height) than the car stuff (Camaro/GTO), and a couple of inches shorter than the truck stuff.
So, I can look up Corvette bits - but what year/model do I need to reference?

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-21-2022 at 02:11 PM..
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Here's what I used on my Gen4 (ish?) LH8 5.3, since I needed everything up front (even the lower pulley had a chunk missing) I just bought a complete LS3 Corvette accessory kit: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19421445.html

Not from there, but it's the right part number. And if you wanted the whole kit, it has all the individual part numbers in that link. That kit does NOT have the water pump or the main/lower pulley, but it's otherwise complete.

The Corvette accessories stick out the least. I think it's around an inch shorter than the Camaro/GTO accessories, an inch and a half or so shorter than the truck stuff. It all fits fine with the LS6 intake I'm using.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Broke4speed
Board Member

ICT Billet has a ton of different bracket options, an the prices are good.

ICTBillet.com

The low-mount alternator/saginaw power steering pump bracket kit I got moved everything down into the car positions, but with truck spacing.

https://www.ictbillet.com/saginaw-po...lternator.html
Old 11-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Many thanks, Gentlemen!

Since I've already bought new ancillaries and tensioners (for the standard truck offset), I think I'll go with the ICBillet kit (551778LS0-3), and the LS1 water pump (Gates 45002, Motorad 524kt T/stat) & .7" spacer kit to clear the lower TB placement.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Broke4speed
Board Member

Same one I got!
(Excuse the really dirty engine...)

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Same one I got!
(Excuse the really dirty engine...)
Nice! Does the kit come with instructions, or is it self evident? Looking at the pics on the website, the alternator they show has an extra 'arm' coming off it that they use for support - my 105a Delphi alternator doesn't have that.

I'm also at a loss as to how to find the MAP & intake gaskets for the 'LS6" intake. I can't seem to figure out what year to look up. Looking on Rockauto, the Camaro ended in 2001 -02, and doesn't have cathedral ports.

EDIT - went with 2002 Camaro. That gave the correct MAP, gaskets are the same it turns out.

I do have a question about the valve cover vents - the truck motor has a left rear & right front vent - the right front aligns with the port behind the TB mount, but the left rear, which went to the top middle of the truck intake has no port on the rear of the LS6 intake - unless the elbow is for that? I assumed the larger port facing left was for the brake booster vaccum?

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-21-2022 at 10:00 AM..
Old 11-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #7
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I have probably the same kit from ict, and used a vvt/ls3 water pump for mine (larger "bell" and didn't need spacers, also moves the pump outlet to the driver's side of the bay)

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I have probably the same kit from ict, and used a vvt/ls3 water pump for mine (larger "bell" and didn't need spacers, also moves the pump outlet to the driver's side of the bay)
I bought the Camaro water pump with the forward outlet - I already bought a Be Cool rad with the I/O on the right, so a left outlet water pump wouldn't make sense for my install now.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Biggest PITA I had with water pumps was a fruitless search trying to find one that didn't point the heater hoses RIGHT at the hotside of the turbo. Ended up removing the stock fittings, drilling/tapping and putting in some right angle fittings.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
MikeSr.
What, me worry?

I used Dirty Dingo brackets for my LS- moved the alternator to a high position and p.s. pump to lower.
If I had it to do again, I would get the Holley Mid mount kit
Old 11-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #11
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Biggest PITA I had with water pumps was a fruitless search trying to find one that didn't point the heater hoses RIGHT at the hotside of the turbo. Ended up removing the stock fittings, drilling/tapping and putting in some right angle fittings.
yeah I plugged mine and welded an fittings to the top. aside from the cars they came in originally it seems like those hoses are in the way on everything lol
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #12
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Holley mid mount already has upward pointing fittings, just swap the plugs and the hose barbs around. But then it costs $2300.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
I would like to convert the heater connections to quick-connect - easy enough to get 5/8" & 3/4" (Dorman 800-416, 800-418) elbow fittings for the lines, I just can't find 1/2" or 3/8"NPT female to 1/2" & 5/8" male quick connects.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #14
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Nice! Does the kit come with instructions, or is it self evident? Looking at the pics on the website, the alternator they show has an extra 'arm' coming off it that they use for support - my 105a Delphi alternator doesn't have that.

Yeah, there's some brackets that are useless for truck engines. The kits are designed to be useful to all the ls-based blocks so just use what is useful to your setup and put the rest in a box for later . That's what I did.

The instructions are...simplistic, but reasonably useful I found.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #15
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
I would like to convert the heater connections to quick-connect - easy enough to get 5/8" & 3/4" (Dorman 800-416, 800-418) elbow fittings for the lines, I just can't find 1/2" or 3/8"NPT female to 1/2" & 5/8" male quick connects.
OK - so to keep this simple, I think I'll remove the std. hose fittings from the new pump & tap 3/8" & 1/2"NPT.

Then I can use MPT male / AN male fittings on the pump I/O, and use AN female / hose barb male 90's to attach the hoses. Like these from Pegasus Racing. I've used them before, so I might actually have some of these already.

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-22-2022 at 09:37 PM..
Old 11-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #16
283SD
Board Member

Save yourself a lot of time/grief, go with an old school SBC. I've had mine for coming up on 35 years now.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283SD View Post
Save yourself a lot of time/grief, go with an old school SBC. I've had mine for coming up on 35 years now.
I've already bought the 4.8L LR4 drivetrain, so it is what it is.