• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT custom oil filter relocation

sven740

Hello - I have 1967 Volvo 122 with a B230FT/AW71 swap. For many reasons I want to relocate the oil filter to the drivers side inner fender well. Also the stock oil cooler resides just behind the grill on that side already. The clearances are very tight in many places as you would imagine. Question I have is has anyone converted from the stock oil filter relocator set up to using one like Summit Part SUM-G4985-1 - then plumbing for the cooler in line with the remote filter? I assume I would need to plumb a supply line for the turbo also. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am going to pull the engine out this winter already to address some other clearance issues. It has been a blast to drive a light 122 with 14 pounds of boost. :)

Other than running some long cooler to oil filter lines that should be straight forward. You can try using the socketless oil hose they sell at pegasus racing supplies. If you are going to keep using the volvo oil filter then you need a 3/4 16 threaded filter adapter. Generally the oil filter is first then the oil cooler in the chain of flow. Also good to have the stock volvo oil cooler adapter as that uses an internal thermostat.

It has been a blast to drive a light 122 with 14 pounds of boost. :)

I can imagine, but, I'm still at 10lbs (want to keep that M41 alive...). Have some pictures of that beast?

I fought a lot of these battles on my 142 with a B230FT. See post 8 for more detail. I ended up needing something with a length between the supplied all thread tube and the oil cooler pancake tube. For that I used in a cheap -8 bulkhead fitting that I cut the tapered ends off. It, conveniently, has a hex drive as the block threads are a little undersized.

I've gone through 2x of the Amazon oil thermostat and filter housings. Neither has been trouble free but it is a very compact component and the price is right. I've pretty much got it to stop leaking but I worry. Last time I took it apart it was clear the o-rings weren't the right material for the application - in around 2 months and 500 miles they had gone completely hard so I have new o-rings on the way.

Pics of 67 Amazon

Hello
I will post some pictures soon - it has been a fun project - and when cruising I get almost 30 mpg

As far as the oil filter project - I think I may go with a remote filter mount with the thermostatic option for the cooler that way I can remove all that factory relocating hardware - which should be cleaner and less likely to leak approach - like this

GReddy GREX 12401114 Remote Oil Filter & Oil Cooler Relocation Thermostatic Block

or

improved racing Part # ENV-170 Configurator

I use that filter relocation kit on my endurance 740 racecar. It works fine, but you might need more hose to reach the drivers fender but that should be easy to source. You could also make nicer lines if you wanted. Stock Volvo filters would work with it as it is the same thread, but I run larger Mustang filters such as the WIX 51515.

good suggestion

Thanks - I just reviewed Dave Bartons page on that - it is excellent - I should have known to go there first - thanks again

npt to an fitting

Hello - since I will have the turbo off the car. I have a question - has anyone tapped the drain hole in the turbo itself with a NPT thread then use a NPT to AN adapter? That would eliminate another gasket/seal surface - thanks

ICT Billet AN816-10-08XL - ICT Billet Turbocharger Oil Drain Flange Fittings

I found the factory b230ft oil filter/cooler setup with a Setrab sandwich plate to be the best for mine. There’s no mess of oil lines running all over the engine bay.

Hello - since I will have the turbo off the car. I have a question - has anyone tapped the drain hole in the turbo itself with a NPT thread then use a NPT to AN adapter? That would eliminate another gasket/seal surface - thanks

ICT Billet AN816-10-08XL - ICT Billet Turbocharger Oil Drain Flange Fittings

On my Garret turbos the drain hole is square.

Hello - I removed the TD05 turbo and manifold this past weekend - the drain hole in mine is round - I just ordered a two bolt flange with the 10AN fitting - and the Yoshifab engne plug

Also Andrew nice pic of your car - that was the color of my first wagon back in the 80's
Once I figure out how to post pics I will add a few - Also I am using the factory cooler also - I am following Dave Bartons write up and eliminating the factory relocator and moving my filter to the drivers side wheel well - my cooler resides on the drivers side of the radiator now.

Also I figure out I could use a 740 tire jack to 'pry" to engine to the drivers side enough to remove the turbo/manifold with the engine in place. I will post a pic of that. It works great since I am working on clearance issues by "massaging" and reforming the passenger side wheel well I have to install and remove it several times

N6stjqnh.jpg

This is where I put my filter. Route your hoses correctly and it will look fine. Have not spilled a drop of oil since putting the filter here. Just punch a hole in the middle of the canister, let it drain out, and bam, completely mess-free oil change. As a bonus, you get a boatload more room to run a bigger filter.

N6stjqnh.jpg

This is where I put my filter. Route your hoses correctly and it will look fine. Have not spilled a drop of oil since putting the filter here. Just punch a hole in the middle of the canister, let it drain out, and bam, completely mess-free oil change. As a bonus, you get a boatload more room to run a bigger filter.

I've got mine mounted on the brace between the fender and the apron but I'm liking your location much better. What are you running for a cooler?

stock 240T unit but I'm considering getting an aftermarket one; I want to put a motor mount on the kick-up of the crossmember and the hard lines that the stock stuff uses get in the way.

Back