• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lsd/Locker for the 8.8 ?

Roger-Dee

is DeeWorks.ca
300+ Club
My 8.8 was pretty shot last year and it need a complete rebuild. I am going to order a new gear set, complete installation kit and a new lsd/locker to put in it. I daily drive the car every summer and drag race it every week on slick.

Now compared to the volvo diff, I have a lot of choice for my locker/lsd and I am a bit lost with all these option. The stock lsd was fitted with new carbon clutch and it was really fun to drive for the first few months, very predictable. After my first one-wheel spin they kinda lost grip and it was really hard to do a proper burnout at the strip. So for this time, I am not rebuilding the stock lsd center section.

Detroit, eaton, aussie, arb etc... Most of them are only the center section and go inside the stock carrier, but the Eaton is a complete unit on which you transfer your gear but it's also the only one to use clutches. Arb is kinda out of the question as it's expensive and I don't do any crawling with the volvo. Detroit (powertrax, lockrite and no-slip) are build the same way that Aussie are but the aussie locker are dirt cheap at 280$.

Am I missing some in my list? I'm confused if I want a locker or a lsd, price is not really the problem I just want it to last and be somewhat driveable in the street. I'd like to hear some opinion before I pull the trigger on either one of those.

Heres why you want a new carrier.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tP9f5d3W6bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Ford Explorer parts.

Thats what Roger and I are both running, and what i bent the crap out of! It actually bound up tooth tip on tooth tip, the diff literally locked up on launch and would stall the engine.

Yeah my friend has a richmond lock-rite on his car currently (68 beaumont) and it clicks really hard. But it never failed at locking both wheel at the strip.

@Nathan I saw that carnage you did to your car, quite crazy! I'm looking to go from my 3.54 gearset to a 3.27, stupid getrag ratio are annoying with the current gearing. The best I had was when I swapped a 3.31 volvo gearset few years ago, first give was usable for the first time ever.

I will look into the yukin unit, it's decently priced for a complete carrier but the clutch really got to hold up right! That's what you are running? Did you had it built to your spec or you're still running stock clutch & spring in it?

Running the taller ratio is lots easier on the rearend too, and axles.

Yes, Im running the Duragrip, so complaints so far. I installed it in June, as delivered from Randys Ring and Pinion, and still churn up the gravel backing out of my spot at work. I haven't abused it by doing big smoky burnouts, but the car hooks like crazy still. I asked RRP which carrier was the strongest, not the design first, and they turned me onto that. The breakaway TQ is pretty high too, and iirc its a cone type clutch setup with nice preload springs.

They poped first on google, I will send them an e-mail and maybe buy all my rebuild kit and gear set from them. Gonna feel alot better to have the rear end tight! That yukon lsd is about 200$ cheaper than a eaton lsd and carrier.

If you end up working with RR+P and they wont ship internationally, tell them my name, they have my shipping info there.

Sounds like you specifically want to replace the carrier which is totally cool, and in that case I think the eaton is the best unit- but for anyone who doesn't want to have to re-shim and is under 550whp or so, I highly recommend the Ford Motorsport (Mustang Cobra R) rebuild kit.

It's cheap, like $140 I think. Basically a set of Carbon Kevlar clutches, shims, and springs. I liked it for a daily.

Edit:forgot to say, this assumes you already have a 31 spline unit with a factory clutch type ie explorer.

Back