• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

WC t5 into a Volvo 940

chirish1234

Alright.

I'm swapping in my built B230ft with the ford WCt5 I was planning on using on my 240 wagon into my 940 wagon. The only real issue im finiding about swapping it into a 740/940 chassis is the shifter location.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? opinions?

Or if someone who has swapped it mind chiming in?

The Aussie spec T5 housing (fitted on the Millenium Falcons down under) is damn near perfect. Good luck finding one!

Otherwise, just chop a hole in the dash/fuse block area for knuckle clearance.......

Last edited:
Since he's in New Jersery get GM camaro T5 tailshaft housing.. Not the GM S10 mini truck T5 trannie. Might as well specify what GM vehicle the longer tailshaft shifter housing comes in. No need to go down under on her to get fitting tailshaft...

Here..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1992-...ash=item213b390d82:g:ll4AAOSwACRar-JB&vxp=mtr

Or if in Japan use 280Z T5 tailshaft housing. Rare as down under..

In a 940 or 740 the US GM V8 position is still too toooooo far forward

The OZ stuff WOULD be nice but realistically there's more than just the case...too much maybe....Although both Ford and Holden use the desirable 2.95 gearset... But who knows how to bring in a quantity to make the shipping worth while?

Since he's in New Jersery get GM camaro T5 tailshaft housing.. Not the GM S10 mini truck T5 trannie. Might as well specify what GM vehicle the longer tailshaft shifter housing comes in. No need to go down under on her to get fitting tailshaft...

Here..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1992-...ash=item213b390d82:g:ll4AAOSwACRar-JB&vxp=mtr

Or if in Japan use 280Z T5 tailshaft housing. Rare as down under..

Thanks Simon! I'm sure if I need it further back I could figure something out.

Didn't someone have this setup in the 7 series? I thought they had pics (maybe Dave Barton?) of the T5 in the 7 series with the standard elbow shifter and it was... "ok" no?

How far off is this whole deal do we think?

The OZ stuff WOULD be nice but realistically there's more than just the case...too much maybe....Although both Ford and Holden use the desirable 2.95 gearset... But who knows how to bring in a quantity to make the shipping worth while?

There's also the issue of finding these gearboxes in sufficient quantities now, as most Commodores and Falcons were sold to fleets, who specified auto transmissions.

I'll leave this here for the record, in case somebody is searching for this stuff later.

The OZ T5 stuff is subtlety different - for example, the Ford type main case is used in both GM and Ford applications. V8 Holdens generally use the assembly listed as 1352-188 in the numerous T5 lists circulating around the interwebs.

However, while the EA Falcons (which were only made as 6 cylinder units) used the WC assembly listed as 1352-163, in the EB models and onward they moved to a BTR proprietary (i.e. unique to OZ) cluster, an input shaft which is also unique to OZ with a tapered roller input bearing, and a reverse gear brake, for the 6 cylinder Falcons and Falcon derivatives. The input shafts are 167mm (6.57 inches) long.

The gearboxes used in Aussie 6 cylinder Fords with the BTR proprietary gear cluster have the following ratios:
1st 3.25:1
2nd 1.99:1
3rd 1.29:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.72:1
Rev 3.39:1

Holden OTOH stuck with the 1352-163 assembly ratios for their V6 stuff, with the non-tapered bearing input shaft and the 3.5:1 first gear.

The uniquely-OZ T5 stuff from BTR Engineering carries "0552" and "0557" part numbers, as distinct from a "1352" number as found with BW / Tremec T5 bits made in America.

And we all do know better than to look up casting numbers to identify gearboxes, don't we (I hope)? Because the main cases of BTR stuff are still numbered with "1352" numbers. Also, the tags on BTR T5 gearboxes won't match those on the US-centric lists.

The best fitting T5 for a 700/900 is one sourced out of a AU Falcon. These have their extension housings numbered as 0557-866906 (note the BTR casting number), which have a measurement of 23.8 inches (605 mm) from the gearstick centreline to the gearbox to bellhousing face. The 557-020 box (tagged WR2T-7003-BB) from a V8 AU is the pick of these. Once an adapter plate is added, you're very close to the original 24.5 inch measurement for 700 /900s.

I heard rumors that the Datsun used a different size output flange or seal. Have you used one of those before to know if it fits? My Datsun friend seems to think so.

I can tell you the T5 I have from a 300zx turbo is too long for my 242, I had make a "Z" bend in the shifter and hammer the transmission tunnel to make it work. I'd almost be willing to swap with someone who has a WC mustang T5 that doesn't fit their grampa car.

Have you tried a T5 out of a datsun 280Z before you say T5 from AU falcon is best?

No. None of them (neither 280Zs, nor assemblies 1352-004, 1352-032, or 1352-047) are common here. Those 3 boxes aren't even WC assemblies. You'd find 100 AUs before you'd spot one 280Z in wreckers' yards. Why even bother?

OTOH, the AU Ford boxes are WC assemblies, and the dimensions are just right for a 7/9; add the adapter plate to the mix, and it's a perfect fit. See?

picture.php

(pic taken & owned by T. Tran)

The Commodore box face-to-shifter length (23 inches) is a little bit too short, and the BA Falcon box is just a little bit too long - this is an installation of a a Commodore T5 into a 740.

27449331341_f1d9ed9d05_h.jpg

Pics are worth a thousand words, hey. And it's your lucky day! You got both! :-D And that's why nobody has bothered with 280Zs.

The face-to-shifter length of EA and EB-EL Ford boxes (21.5 inches) work well for fitting them into 240s. The latter are preferable for applications demanding higher torque, since they have the better (stronger) input shaft bearing design. Even the 557-001 T5 gearbox from a 3.9 litre AU (tagged WR2A-7003-AA) has a tapered pocket bearing input shaft, similar in config to the 1352-251 input shaft. But the EA boxes are like Commodore V6 boxes - whereas Ford opted to use the better design on its 6-potters with the EB and onward, Holden never did.

Why does it seem all of these 9/7 series T5 swap threads fizzle out? Has no one finished one (other than the Aussies)? lol Just looking for more info on shifter placement with the gm tail housing. Do I have to cut the tunnel or not? Does it clear the fuse panel? Ill be doing this swap soon so maybe ill have to start my own thread. Maybe ill let that one fizzle out too.

Why does it seem all of these 9/7 series T5 swap threads fizzle out? Has no one finished one (other than the Aussies)? lol Just looking for more info on shifter placement with the gm tail housing. Do I have to cut the tunnel or not? Does it clear the fuse panel? Ill be doing this swap soon so maybe ill have to start my own thread. Maybe ill let that one fizzle out too.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=322665

As noted many times.... the Aussie tailshaft housing is the ideal elegant solution for the 7/9 series.

Failing that the linked shifter extension is your only hope, unless you want the dash butchered or your knuckles bashing it on those gears.

Simpler solution: buy the M90 listed in the FS section.

We'll see the thing is I already have two M90's and I already got bmw 265 getrag in my 90 race wagoon. I'd never put t5 in any of my 740's. Now if I had a junker 240 sure..

But kool how you keep saying going down under is the best, but buy me m90.

The last of the aussi tailshafts.. The blower, tell em about the blower..

I’m 1/2 done with my t5 in my 940. I went with the camero tailhousing and I modified the shifter a bit I’m hoping to do a halfass decent write up in my build thread.

Back