home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-03-2022, 12:09 AM   #151
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

Got a different box for my sub. 4.5cuft... barley fits in the trunk hopefully the single baffle holds up
Old 03-07-2022, 02:37 AM   #152
Wilford Brimley

Made more progress
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #153
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

I love the rusted patina, I know I've already said that, but every time I look in your thread, it makes me smile

Everyone's taste is what it is, I'm glad the neon green is gone from under the hood

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #154
Wilford Brimley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
I love the rusted patina, I know I've already said that, but every time I look in your thread, it makes me smile

Everyone's taste is what it is, I'm glad the neon green is gone from under the hood
Well thanks, Its just what I had on hand for paint, I like the subtle colors more to be honest

Getting progress done sllooowly but surely. I think I might weld something to the body to secure the battery(no its not riding in the car till i do that

Edit, with my tunk open i see i need to rust more pieces! And clean some stuff
Old 03-12-2022, 11:54 PM   #155
Wilford Brimley

how to print screen on pc
Got the wiring done, tomorrow test time
Old 03-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #156
Trevor+
Volvo Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
the screamer is starting to blacken the hood
It'll ruin the perfect paint!
Trevor+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:05 PM   #157
Wilford Brimley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor+ View Post
It'll ruin the perfect paint!
I actually like when I dont drive it for a bit and rains, when it opens it blows a bunch of steam out, actually looks kinda cool
Old 03-26-2022, 01:07 AM   #158
Wilford Brimley

Well I got a head a few weeks ago from Swedishiron so I put some time into it and pulled my head(since the valves were leaking oil and my car was smoking and it was embarrassing), grabbing a few new things for it and had to fix studs and a couple other things and put them in the new to me head so tomorrow I'll get the exhaust gaskets and what not and reassemble

Last edited by Wilford Brimley; 03-26-2022 at 03:55 AM..
Old 03-26-2022, 01:10 AM   #159
Wilford Brimley

Also my dizzy and rotor were so ****ty I can't belive they worked

Old 03-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #160
Wilford Brimley

She runs great

Old 03-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #161
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
She runs great
Good to read that!

You going to keep the old 530 cylinder head? If not, can I have it to use as a core?

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:58 PM   #162
Wilford Brimley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
Good to read that!

You going to keep the old 530 cylinder head? If not, can I have it to use as a core?

I would but my friend im going to pull the valves and port this head(and and) build it for more pah down the road
Old 07-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #163
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Time for some 4.10s in the back out of a later N/A 940 and tightening the kickdown cable as much as you can stand / dare to be able to actually make use of/enjoy what power the overboosted over cammed too small 4cylinder & have the trans last shoving the heavy slut late 7/9 barge around without any real loss in fuel economy with the turbo AW71?
240TIC shift points & early ‘82 240T w/looser stall torque converter (only that year 240T automatic has 3.73 rear axle) used to be nice all strictly junkyard recombining the Volvo OE AW71 junk drawer…
…tho the 7/9 shift points and stall speed aren’t *that* grandpa and a bit more fuel economy oriented?

And maybe a 240 distributor/aux shaft swap (tho some 93 940s have the gear machined as do some ‘85 740 B230s (used up some extras already machined those years/get lucky when taking a look once in a while?)) to get rid of the stupid tempermental expensive 7/9 cap & rotor or Buchka-spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:46 PM   #164
Wilford Brimley

Its fun but the tranny ain't happy...seems like the od solenoid is doing something because it won't "downshift" when I push the button now
Old 07-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #165
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
Its fun but the tranny ain't happy...seems like the od solenoid is doing something because it won't "downshift" when I push the button now
And have you replaced the transmission yet?
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #166
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

U no have piston rings seize or destroy the ring lands from dirty intake air, bro?

Take apart a bunch of Honda small gas engines on vibrating machines in a dusty environment where someone doesn’t change the air filter or at least backwards blow it/shop Vac it with a super fine filter & dust sock & make sure it seals into the box (they are often in a cheezoid plastique fantastic box that warps or doesn’t seal that good once the seal dries out or vibrates in the sun for long enough)?

Doesn’t always kill the pistons/whole motor motor/can often re-ring & get ‘em goin’ again, but ‘common’ for even the better ‘quality’ or them (such as ‘quality’ is ‘a thing’ by definition with horrible dirty noisy temperamental small gas engines that aren’t bound by 10/100 lemon, warranty and class action suit precedent or emissions or customer expectations paying $49k avg price for a new car now and hoping it goes 10-20 years/200k without them having to do anything, by definition?)?

Definitely an issue without screens in the radiator air intake & air filter on some of the ‘something got lost in translation’ jap or Korean or Chinese cheaper pieces or dusty/dirt work equipment compared to quality/better machines for dusty environments with an initial filter outer element that’s easier to bang gently into the nice metal shop vac with the fine dust pull cord bag? (Before the best of the Japanese & Korean stuff kinda got better than most anything else ?)

I remember all but the late summer draught and all but gravel roads being pretty dust free in coastal northern Washington?
Unless you had rodent or mold problems, ‘air filter’ ceased to be a ‘wear item’ for me in the baker wilderness? Maybe some pollen for a couple weeks?
And certainly no dust living on a boat off of remote orcas in the kelp, surrounded by water & some tall trees somewhere cool where the summer draught is only weeks, not even months, usually…
….& no nearby major source of industrial pollution/activity?

Pete went off the berm and sucked some super fine white Laguna seca racetrack/ Laguna beach sand right thru his oiled K&N gimmick air filter & toasted a motor/cost him a $3000+ race weekend and engine and swore off that gimmick garbage forever!

I’ll never install one, I don’t care if it costs a little more for a half way decent paper or proper oil bath Mann or mahle filter with a washable Brillo pad/pre filter for dusty environments as a maintenance item, even tho paved road B-ham or marysville or island county wa is about as good as it gets for air quality anywhere in the populated industrialized 1sr world (I try not to go any place too dusty or hot if I can help it in general?) …
…until all the sea kelp dies & dirty air reaches from the Far East &/or trees catch fire or if all becomes one bit hellish subdivision or slum, I guess?

Guess youse guise up in WA that have way too much military industrial & Microsoft money, drinkable water, pud/CO-OP hydropower & good air with good upstanding citizen Swedish/Norwegian PO Seattle Volvos is think the party & kool-aid fountain flow is never gonna end?

Might trickle a little longer there, but the newest redblock is about to turn 30 in a North American Volvo-cars passenger car model & ford & Geely has owned Volvo for some time now…

Maybe get a little longer, but if what happened to CA & OR is any indication and relative lack of any kind of planning…this thread is so 2007…& love it! 10/10!

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 07-26-2022 at 02:11 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #167
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

My first time reading you're build thread... I love it all!
Old 07-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #168
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

I wish I had you're decisiveness! I'm so indecisive about mods, painting and upgrades. Probably my OCD! lmao!
VolvoGuy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #169
Wilford Brimley

Caught on fire, I put it out on the side od the freeway and waited 3 hours for a tow...update coming

Last edited by Wilford Brimley; 08-11-2022 at 12:15 AM..
Old 08-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #170
Wilford Brimley

Got it back alive boys
Old 08-13-2022, 05:09 AM   #171
K9 240
Board Member

Mmmm, same colour as those Russian tanks on youtube!!
Much better condition though.
I hope there's not too much damage.
Tim
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #172
Wilford Brimley

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 240 View Post
Mmmm, same colour as those Russian tanks on youtube!!
Much better condition though.
I hope there's not too much damage.
Tim
It wasnt too bad replaced the oil feed, drain and sender and it got the heat wrap a little but all is ok.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #173
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

So how is it running now, hope all is well?
Old 08-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #174
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

I'm actually curious to see a video of (everything) and it's driving habits from the (your) drivers point of view. Like spool up time, sound, power, etc.

I put together my own "big turbo" project last year but have yet to install it. Basically, I picked up a (8cm) td06h-20g with a compressor housing from a Hyundai Genesis because it has the integrated BOV just like our cars! (Makes things much easier! I just wish I had the patience to paint (or powdercoat) everything. lol.

[IMG]Picsart-22-08-21-19-08-27-401[/IMG]

Last edited by VolvoGuy123; 08-21-2022 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Because awesome.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #175
Wilford Brimley

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGuy123 View Post
So how is it running now, hope all is well?
I'll try to get video but the tranny is shot lol... maybe I'll get a video of it slippin....runs great though