• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 T5 Swap

BrodeeSmith

Looking for some advice here guys
Should I install the engine and trans as one unit (which is extremely difficult alone)?
Or can i install the trans later? I have the engine in now (Griffin Mounts). I beat the hell out of the firewall to make room for the Chevy bell-housing. I have a Ford T5 transmission
Thanx gentlemen!!!!!

If it's a earlier 240 that you can remove the slam panel and radiator, and walk the entire assembly in.
If it's a later 240 with the slam panel/core spot welded together, you can unbolt the entire core support and slam panel as a single unit.

I prefer to drop them in together without any core support in the way.

If it's a earlier 240 that you can remove the slam panel and radiator, and walk the entire assembly in.
If it's a later 240 with the slam panel/core spot welded together, you can unbolt the entire core support and slam panel as a single unit.

I prefer to drop them in together without any core support in the way.

It?s a 88 240
I was hoping someone would say I could bolt in the transmission separately...
it?s a bitch trying to get it in as one unit but I?ll go at it again

The T5 adapter I had on my T5 had 4 bolts, easy to get to on the outside of the case. I almost always put it in separately. Even with the 8V head which had more wiggle room. Just put the motor in, put the bellhousing on (trans not there makes it an easy task) and then slide the trans in and do up the 4 bolts.

I put the LS and CD009 in my 240 in one piece. With the radiator support/slam panel still on the car. And even with the hood in place as well. I do have a load leveler on the engine hoist, so I can easily tilt it back and forth.

The T5 adapter I had on my T5 had 4 bolts, easy to get to on the outside of the case. I almost always put it in separately. Even with the 8V head which had more wiggle room. Just put the motor in, put the bellhousing on (trans not there makes it an easy task) and then slide the trans in and do up the 4 bolts.

I put the LS and CD009 in my 240 in one piece. With the radiator support/slam panel still on the car. And even with the hood in place as well. I do have a load leveler on the engine hoist, so I can easily tilt it back and forth.

I thought about that but figured I?d have a hard time aligning the splines on the input shaft into the clutch It?s refreshing to hear this approach

It's maybe slightly harder to do it in the car? But not by much. Just have a jack on the front of the trans to adjust the height/angle, and then lower the motor and get its angle right. Keep the trans in gear and hook up the driveshaft - that way the input shaft will hold still while you turn the motor a little bit to align the splines.

It?s a 88 240
I was hoping someone would say I could bolt in the transmission separately...
it?s a bitch trying to get it in as one unit but I?ll go at it again

It's super easy to do them separately as well. I just prefer to do them together.

With the t5, just pop a spare tailshaft yoke (or the drive shaft) in there and put it in gear. Spin the yoke as you install the trans to the adapter plate. With a little wiggle it'll usually slide right into the adapter plate.

T5 is light enough that you can usually just lift it into place, especially if you have a helping hand.

It's super easy to do them separately as well. I just prefer to do them together.

With the t5, just pop a spare tailshaft yoke (or the drive shaft) in there and put it in gear. Spin the yoke as you install the trans to the adapter plate. With a little wiggle it'll usually slide right into the adapter plate.

T5 is light enough that you can usually just lift it into place, especially if you have a helping hand.

This is brilliant
Thanx for The encouragement and insight

On my V8 Wagon I can take the engine/trans out in one shot, the 'slam panel', un bolts and gives me a clear shot to pull the motor. The later cars can have the spot welds drilled to remove the panel.

Thanx guys!
the tranny is bolted to the V8 block.... i was able to reused the Yoshifab transmission crossmember. along with the mustang propeller shaft.
thanx again.

Back