• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

trans problems

fastcomet

93 Volvo 240 auto. sedan. with +t 13c 10lbs boost-huge trans cooler. The trans is fine when you first start the car in the morning. After you drive it for 3 miles it starts slipping then eventually wont move. If you let it set for 15 minutes you can drive it for few miles then same thing happens. The fluid is full and it looks clean. I changed fluid when I added trans cooler (4 quarts) uiversal trans fluid. Is it worth dropping the pan and changing filter? or is trans done for?

AW70 will die quickly at any boost whatsoever.
If you are still running an AW70, its chooched for good.

I guess you could drop the pan and check that the filter isn't clogging up, but likely you have just blown the trans. Even if there is debris, that stuff may be all thru the trans now and it could be shot.

Last edited:
Well my dad helped me and we dropped the pan. I was lucky the filter was plugged. His theory is that he changed the fluid couple of weeks ago and the new fluid cleaned the whole trans. HE said the particle looked like rust particles and lent? The tranny pan looked like it had been off before. Anyways we are looking for a trans to keep on hand. Thanksn.

It's possible for a trans filter to suck up gunk and lose pressure, then stop the engine and the gunk drops again.

It could be checked with a pressure guage.

That goop is worn clutch material from slippage.

Last edited:
I know its hard to believe but its fine now after a filter change. I dove it 100 miles last night. I will admit it was a freak deal and its probably on barrowed time anyways. So Im searching for an AW71

I know its hard to believe but its fine now after a filter change. I dove it 100 miles last night. I will admit it was a freak deal and its probably on barrowed time anyways. So Im searching for an AW71

Maybe grab a spare and ride her till she dont no more!

Glad to hear after a little cleaning its back to " normal " dosnt always pay to jump the gun on things!

Back