home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
boxsterfan

Default VW Type IV motors and LH-Jet 2.2

Greetings,

I am considering adapting LH-Jet to a VW Type IV motor. The motor will be 2270 in size. The goal is to build a streetable motor with around 140-150 HP. I'll be looking for good low end torque and solid pull all the way through the RPM ranges.

On a normally aspirated motor, how many HP can an LH-Jet 2.2 from a 1985-88 Volvo 240 series handle out of the box?
boxsterfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
DrvSfly
Bored Clown

As many as you could make with a TIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I think we'll either get rid of religion, or it will get rid of us.

'83 245 TIc sold
'97 960 totalled
'94 745 totalled (not mine)
'87 744 totalled (not mine)
'91 780 totalled and sold
'81 b21f, T cam, Lh2.2, 960 injectors, junkyard/back of the shop 15" trash rims. - Sold

DrvSfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
lummert
Board Member

100 hp on 2.0 liter, maybe 110 hp on 2.2.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

I assume you've already looked into what Jake Raby builds? Yeah, 150HP is possible. And yes, LH 2.2 can do that. Being as the later bus/914 motors came with L-jet, it should be pretty straightforward to go to the superior LH-jet. Probably need bigger injectors, possibly a different fuel pump, and I would highly recommend making a proper fuel rail setup vs. what VW used from the factory. You'll want to upgrade the ignition system as well; Pertronix is one option and even the factory system from the early Vanagon is better than the old breaker points distributor IMHO.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out (I for one am curious as I'd like to get another Type IV powered vehicle someday).
00 V70R "Tusenårsfalken"
09 Volvo C70 T5 "Old Blue"
11 Honda Odyssey Touring "Penelope"
85 Volkswagen Westfalia "Scout"
80 Dnepr MT-10/36 "Jenny"
09 Genuine Buddy 150 Blackjack "Jack"
78 Honda CB750F Supersport
volvo_bass@hotmail.com
gtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
TWD
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlover View Post
I assume you've already looked into what Jake Raby builds? Yeah, 150HP is possible. And yes, LH 2.2 can do that.
Jake Raby builds amazing TIV motors. When he balanced my Type 1 motor, he even indexed the flywheel bolts. It is certainly worth your time to talk with him.
TWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
boxsterfan

Quote:
I assume you've already looked into what Jake Raby builds? Yeah, 150HP is possible. And yes, LH 2.2 can do that. Being as the later bus/914 motors came with L-jet, it should be pretty straightforward to go to the superior LH-jet. Probably need bigger injectors, possibly a different fuel pump, and I would highly recommend making a proper fuel rail setup vs. what VW used from the factory. You'll want to upgrade the ignition system as well; Pertronix is one option and even the factory system from the early Vanagon is better than the old breaker points distributor IMHO.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out (I for one am curious as I'd like to get another Type IV powered vehicle someday).
My research shows so far that'll need bigger injectors, new fuel pump to get me to 42psi, and I already have Pertronix. Of course, I'll also have to do some wiring harness work. Not sure what is so horrible about the fuel rail setup on the Type IV. I have SS lines in my car.

Anyone here done the reprogramming on the ECU for a better fuel map on the LH-Jet 2.2? Or do I have to go with Saab's LH-Jet 2.2 ECU to be able to put in my own fuel maps?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterfan View Post
Not sure what is so horrible about the fuel rail setup on the Type IV.
I'm not sure how it's set up on the actual Type IV cars and 914's, but on the Bus and Vanagon, there's no actual fuel rail - just several pieces of fuel hose connecting the injectors together and to the FPR. Lots of places to leak and start engine fires.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
JohnLane
Board Member

Many times we've encountered them with that scent.... Damp injectors.... Ahhh the bad old days!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
boxsterfan

Quote:
I'm not sure how it's set up on the actual Type IV cars and 914's, but on the Bus and Vanagon, there's no actual fuel rail - just several pieces of fuel hose connecting the injectors together and to the FPR. Lots of places to leak and start engine fires.
On the 914's there is a SS fuel rail on each side of the motor. There is fuel hose that goes from rail-to-rail to get across the engine bay.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterfan View Post
On the 914's there is a SS fuel rail on each side of the motor. There is fuel hose that goes from rail-to-rail to get across the engine bay.
Yeah, that's way nicer than what came on the Vanagon, it's like 5 little pieces of hose IIRC, plus the pressure and return lines.