home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 AM   #1
pat244ti

Default 92' 245DL Crazy Taxi Lemons racer

Not one to hesitate on impulse, after seeing Scotty D's firesale a few weeks back I decided to jump onto the opportunity to buy his Lemons racer. Scotty has actually raced my 244 before but I was pretty unfamiliar with his car.

The two motivations behind this purchase were to take a step back from doing racing myself and to build a neat, easy to drive car. I plan on using the car to rent out to my friends who have not raced before, as well as a lot of my circle track friends who have not raced road course stuff.

The other was to unleash the mechanical creativity that Lemons is known for as well as execute an awesome theme.

I picked the car up at the final western meet on Saturday and trailered it back to Santa Cruz. I unloaded the car and all the goodies it came with [there were lots, way more than expected! Thank you Scotty!!] and went to bed.

Even with work I've been spending the past few nights cleaning it up [scraping what felt like 100+ decals off] and looking at in general what my plan of attack will be.

Front suspension has #700 springs. I am thinking of bringing it down to #500 or #600. I run #500 in the 244 and like it, might try #600 but #700 is a lot. Also the front dampers are kyb inserts. I was going to get a set of DeCarbons revalved for whatever springrate I end up with. I am going to refresh a few suspension parts, and also box both the control and trailing arms.

Car came with x6 vette wheels with Dunlop Direzzas. I was going to swap the fresh unused backups on the front and use the fronts as the backups. RX7 brakes up front, seems to work well - I do however have to adjust the brake cooling duct setup to work a little better. Currently there is a stock airdam on the car but I was going to toss a 93' 850 unit on.

\

The interior needs some sanitizing. The tar paper was never removed from the floor so I will removed everything and finish that job. I also am not a fan of rust everywhere [it's crapcan racing, but I don't like getting a brown streak on my clothes every time I touch the cage] so I will get everything nice and painted. The wiring cleanup job was okay but I hate the stock 240 ceramic fuse setup and will probably swap it out to blade fuse block. I will do some work on all that.

One idea I am tossing in my head right now is since I am putting a tail panel on the car as part of the theme, I don't want it to act as a wicker bill inside the car and cause an aero disturbance. I also want to experiment with installing a large fuel cell in the car. So I am going to build a giant cover, mostly out of used, flat aluminum side panels from my friends dirt modified race car - that goes over the backseat and cargo areas and sits flat with the bottom of the windows. There will be access doors for the battery as well as for where I will mount the home brewed swirlpot to go with the cell. The fill for the fuel cell will be up high, about a foot behind the C-Pillar

The current engine will stay for the first few events while I let everyone get their feet wet. B230F with a K-Cam and high rev springs. It will stay LH 3.1/EZK. The M47 has a bad 3rd gear, Scotty gave me a spare but after being informed by Erik [Cosbysweater] it came out of his Hilux I might think it would be in my best interest to find another one and use his as the spare

I got notice recently that my 760 is due for smog again [I bought the car last year and smogged it on transfer....] so that might mean the end of the road for the chassis. But it has a sweet ass B23FT that is begging to go into a race car and this might be it's eventual destination. At that time a T5 will be mandatory.

The exhaust is getting cut off tomorrow. It will be a regular low side exit. Less weight and my clumsy ass would probably walk into that thing while it is hot.

83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Tuff240
240 Ninja

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 AM   #3
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
+1
Old 03-03-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
If you are ever free come on down to Santa Cruz and help out for a bit and I'll trade you for seat time at an event.

Open offer for anyone. I want to try and actually run for a good finish at the next race with the 244 so I will only run 3 drivers. But if I enter this car, I can have 6 on that team and use my 3 empty spots from the 244 to sign people up.

Last edited by pat244ti; 03-03-2016 at 04:21 AM..
Old 03-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
Tuff240
240 Ninja

There was a ChumpCar race at Thunderhill last weekend. I was there Saturday with Hackster doing the Optima Ultimate Street car thing. The turnout was terrible for ChumpCar. Looked like 20 cars max.

Last edited by Tuff240; 03-03-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
pat244ti

People are starting to catch on to what a giant ******* John Condren (the guy why runs Chump) is. Things like claiming to donate xx amount of money to charity when in reality 5% went to charity and the rest went in his pocket. I was under the impression last year was supposed to be the last year of it but its still going to my surprise.

Fields for Lucky Dog (started by an ex Chumpcar employee) are growing.

Lemons races anywhere in CA will always be 100+
Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
doucheNozzle

I've never enjoyed Chump

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
noz-e8tr
Board Member

I may be interested in the 700# springs if you decide to sell them. I currently have 500# on my v8 242 autocross car. Might want the option of going stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat244ti View Post

Front suspension has #700 springs. I am thinking of bringing it down to #500 or #600. I run #500 in the 244 and like it, might try #600 but #700 is a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Want my 3.1/ezk chips?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz-e8tr View Post
I may be interested in the 700# springs if you decide to sell them. I currently have 500# on my v8 242 autocross car. Might want the option of going stiffer.
I will let you know. #700 seems more appropriate for something nose heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Want my 3.1/ezk chips?
It's got Simons EZK chips, not sure about the fuel side
Old 03-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
toms_elleck
Board Member

Awesome.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
noz-e8tr
Board Member

Yep...This is with the 500# springs and Koni race set at stiffest setting.

Quote:

noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
doucheNozzle

Quote:

It's got Simons EZK chips, not sure about the fuel side
I think it's also got fuel chips but it kinda doesn't matter because every time you flip the handle on the left, it kills ECU power and it has to relearn. We were gonna hook up a constant 12v to the ECU so that wouldn't happen but it didn't happen.
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
I think it's also got fuel chips but it kinda doesn't matter because every time you flip the handle on the left, it kills ECU power and it has to relearn. We were gonna hook up a constant 12v to the ECU so that wouldn't happen but it didn't happen.
Thank you for the reminder, I'll keep that in mind when I start cleaning up the wiring.

In other news, started removing more interior to get it ready for cleaning/paint. Removed the giant fire extinguisher & bracket, set it on the roof. Continued working on car.

Climb out of car 10 minutes later, set hands on the roof to get my feet planted on the ground. The roof flexed, the fire extinguisher rolled, and landed 4 feet down right on my big toe. Chose to wear my skate shoes since they bend and flex more while I'm moving about in the car. Wishing right now I had my steel toes on. Looks like no car work, or standing up this weekend.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #15
brendon_ak
Board Member

You should hook up a loudspeaker playing Offspring on repeat and stencil one of the Crazy Taxi's on the outside of the car.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #16
brendon_ak
Board Member

Old 03-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #17
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
In other news, started removing more interior to get it ready for cleaning/paint. Removed the giant fire extinguisher & bracket, set it on the roof. Continued working on car.

Climb out of car 10 minutes later, set hands on the roof to get my feet planted on the ground. The roof flexed, the fire extinguisher rolled, and landed 4 feet down right on my big toe. Chose to wear my skate shoes since they bend and flex more while I'm moving about in the car. Wishing right now I had my steel toes on. Looks like no car work, or standing up this weekend.
Ouch! Better get used to always wearing those steel toed shoes for the new few months till it heals
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #18
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_ak View Post
You should hook up a loudspeaker playing Offspring on repeat and stencil one of the Crazy Taxi's on the outside of the car.
One of many ideas already planned.

I was also going to get the Daytona USA music working on the 244 too.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #19
pat244ti

Quick update - not really on the car though.

Foot is healing but since the car is stored outside and El Nino has been pounding us lately, I have not been able to work on it.

So the past two weekends I've started converting a space at my folks house [where I store the car] into a small workshop so I can keep all my parts, tools, and stuff under a ceiling with a paved ground and some sense of organization. Before, I had everything stored in a crawlspace [relative term - ceiling was about 6' and I am 6'5] elsewhere that had a dirt floor and was on an incline [so the roof kept getting lower and lower....]

Needless to say it was getting really ****ing old going in and out of that space to grab tools, parts, etc and it was EXTREMELY hard to keep everything organized that way. I have 13+ years of crap I've somehow accumulated between dozens and dozens of Volvos and a few other cars.

Before I cleared it out, the room was filled literally to the ceiling with old furniture and boxes of random stuff. So I went to town wrapping up all the furniture in plastic, and moving it to the attic [a lot of work] last weekend.

Each night after work from 10am-10pm I tore into boxes and boxes of parts, organized them all and even went full OCD and dumped a 20 gallon cooler of miscellenous hardware to get it all organized [which took up a solid chunk of time]

I (almost) finished organizing everything and moved my giant workbench over yesterday, also installed some lighting, shelving and some pegboard behind the workbench to assist with organizing and, well, keeping the workbench clutter down.

Next step is schlepping the two engines I have on stands down there so I can finish them, as well as the parts washer, drill press and a few other things.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
brendon_ak
Board Member

Saleen S7R, no way!!!111!11!

Looks good man, organization is therapeutic!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
towerymt
the real Towery

I like this plan. We used those same 700lb springs on the front of the cheetah for a while (I sold those and the 325? lb rear springs to Scott). We've got 8x475lb on the front now, take-offs from my autocross car (along with the old revalved Bil HDs, same valving as Dave Barton's, FWIW). Front of our car feels good, except for the slight push in slow/flat corners due to the welded rear.

We use a 25mm front bar. You could probably run a skinny front bar with the 700s and leave it as-is, since you've got other work to do first. But obviously I agree that it's a bit more spring than I think we need with street tires. And those 700s should do well on a V8 autocross car. I use 7x550 on the front of my car, and I'm going a bit stiffer if/when I get it back to some autox events this year.

I think more importantly, you should soften the rear. We use cut overload springs and the stiff R-Sport shocks. That whole car felt stiff when I drove it, but I think that comes from the rear not being compliant. For easy driving, I like the front relatively stiff and the rear soft. I never get into a bad spot with that sort of setup....the car doesn't step out under braking, ever, and I drive it off the front tires so I'm always in control of the balance via the steering wheel.

Regarding the swirlpot, what are your plans? Lemons doesn't allow for an external one last I checked. We did it inside the cell. A pump in the cell feels a "container" of fuel. The return dumps into this container as well, therefore it's always overflowing (no trap doors in this container). Then an external fuel pump draws fuel out of this container which resides inside the cell. I don't remember the exact figure, but we pumped something like 20gal into our 24gal cell the time we ran practice til the car sputtered, and wanted to verify how much fuel we could get out of the cell. The car will do 3hr, and when it does sputter, it sputters badly. This is good. It was an improvement over our other attempts where the car would start to hesitate on left turns, but only slightly, so we'd have to drive for a while with less than 100% reliable fuel delivery, which was really frustrating. In the races where I started, and the car ran solid the entire first stint, and I didn't get a black flag...we would do our first pit stop from 1st place. If we ever got the car to run 100% the entire race, AND we got good at pit stops, AND we got no flags, we could win. It'll never happen, though.
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #22
pat244ti

At first glance I thought it was okay if it was contained but after discussing things with John he obviously squashed that....

Found a cheap 22 gallon cell on Racing Junk. Fuel Safe w/FIA. Even comes with a really nice, vented, remote fill setup. Trying to contact the guy if it's the size I think it is and he has not sold it I am gonna buy it for the 244. Got a lot of other goodies for it so why not..

At Sonoma you can really tell coming out of the carousel with the stock tank when you are getting low. I would lift it a little for about 6-8 more laps coming out of that turn until it start getting signs of fuel pickup issues in some of the other corners.

245 will keep a stock tank for a while I think. Too many driver changes for it to matter, still going to make an aluminum sheet deck for aero
Old 03-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
WeezilUSA
Board Member

With my G-Production car you can't really let it get below 1/4 tank or it will sputter on the hard left hand corners at Portland. Time for a cell in there as well I think.

FWIW I was reading the lucky dog rules the other day, they do allow a swirl pot, but must be 1/2 gallon or less capacity.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #24
745 TurboGreasel
Board Member

I have an extra twin 4' fluorescent if you want it, ugly but free

Feedback

745 TurboGreasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
pat244ti

Hey, an update on this.

I have not been messing with the car at all, just accumulating parts. I had entered the May Thunderhill race, but I chose instead to race with another team [Aqua Volvo] instead of trying to rush this car together so I withdrew and chose to focus on the July race.

The driver roster right now consists purely of people who have never raced before, the only two with experience being my dad [sort of] and my friend Billy who has three stock car championships but has never made a right turn.

My brother in law has been really wanting to work on the car, so yesterday we got to work. He focused on removing tar paper and cleaning the roll cage up, while Roman [a friend of mine I know from working at a dispensary] got all the paint ready for, well, more paint.

I focused on carefully removing all the wiring and stripping down the engine bay for cleaning/paint