• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Heads up... Mann 917 Oil Filter Failure

I love it
THIS...............

.................is how it goes on the internet

Started out as a "heads up" "MANN W 917s leak at the crimp"....................to now "DUMPING" oil "all over the ground"

Double gasket maneuver? Possibility?

Jimmy Earl

Look man, I don't know why you're coming in here so hot. If you'd read the thread this wouldn't be your first reading of that occurrence.

As someone who's been repairing Volvo's for over 30 years and a faithful Impac (now Worldpac) customer the entire time, I stopped using the Mann filters several years ago due to leaks from the crimp. The can was folded in the crimp and would leak from there, an obvious manufacturing defect. Not transportation damage or improper installation. I switched to the Mahle filters and haven't had a problem since. They may have fixed the problem, but they lost my confidence in the quality of their product.

^^ I had no idea you also experienced this. I know of 4 different people that know their stuff that experienced leaks and quit using the Mann filters. I hope they did correct the problem. I have nothing against Mann. I just do what I can to make sure any car I sell or work on for a customer does not get damaged from something as simple as an oil filter that I can buy for the same price from another manufacturer. It would be negligent to ignore what is/was right in front of me. Two phone calls from customers a week after I worked on their cars because they had oil leaking on their garage floors made me take notice.

As someone who's been repairing Volvo's for over 30 years and a faithful Impac (now Worldpac) customer the entire time, I stopped using the Mann filters several years ago due to leaks from the crimp. The can was folded in the crimp and would leak from there, an obvious manufacturing defect. Not transportation damage or improper installation. I switched to the Mahle filters and haven't had a problem since. They may have fixed the problem, but they lost my confidence in the quality of their product.

^^ I had no idea you also experienced this. I know of 4 different people that know their stuff that experienced leaks and quit using the Mann filters. I hope they did correct the problem. I have nothing against Mann. I just do what I can to make sure any car I sell or work on for a customer does not get damaged from something as simple as an oil filter that I can buy for the same price from another manufacturer. It would be negligent to ignore what is/was right in front of me. Two phone calls from customers a week after I worked on their cars because they had oil leaking on their garage floors made me take notice.

Clearly you guys are installing the filters wrong, since it cannot POSSIBLY be a flaw in the filters.....:roll:

My own personal experience, hmm, open the flat, remove filter, fill 1/2 full with oil, verify no seal on the block, install until contact, 1-2-3/4 spin by hand. Start car, witness oil steadily dripping from crimp at points that aren't spilling from previously dripped oil. Remove filter, replace, no leaks. Guess I've been doing it wrong my entire life as well.

I dunno, been wrenching on OHC, OHV, and whiteblocks for 25 years, only filters I had an issue with were the Mann's back 10-15 years back, stopped using them at that time.

As for the warranty returns, we had a few dealer supplied ones when I was at the dealer where we'd go thru cases per week (weekly stock order was usually 48 of the large's, 12 of the smalls, forgot the part numbers since it's been 15 years). Those were OEM Mopar filters. Yes, we'd get a bad batch every now and then, got a couple parts network notices to stop using ones from batch xyz, and submit them on the next cycle return. Individual failures were not requested for return but we did get credit. That however is dealer level parts, totally different scenario than the independent parts world. I'd suspect the exact same thing happened with a batch or two of the Mann's, but hey, that must be comparing apples to grapefruits as well right?

Whatever Jimmy, you have your mind set, everybody else is wrong since you can't verify their personal experiences, so ya know what, enjoy your arguing in here. I'll sit back, point, and laugh.

Years ago I found a 20 pack in the back of a 740 at the Chula yard, got them for dirt cheap and am now down to the last few

Been cleaning in the shop and I found a shrink-wrapped single filter that I don't ever recall buying. 'Twas my lucky day. :lol:

Two leaky Ready Aire heater core failures in a row shows how easily a manufacturing process can go in the toilet temporarily. I can't find anything about Ready Aire having production problems on the internet. I wonder why? The supplier that sold me those heater cores can't even get a refund from Ready Aire.

Off topic but related:

Sorry about the heater cores, seriously

You can't find anything about them because probably only two or three guys in purchasing or accounting actually know anything about them (and they might be in jail right now for all we know!)

"Ready Aire" is just a label (nowadays) marketed by Vistapro Automotive LLC another ginormous aftermarket re-boxer and distributer who have undergone at least one bankruptcy and who knows what else

Same kind of deal as Europarts but even cheesier

They'll resurface under a new name soon if they haven't already done so

They source product from all over the globe, aren't really "car people" and make (made) their money off volume. They don't really give a **** about quality OR you having problems.

That's why there's no one to "talk to" and next week they might be selling/distributing cheap appliance parts or whatever

There is so much "emerging economy" garbage in our supply pipelines right now I can't believe there is ANYONE who doesn't want the politicians to try and do SOMETHING to stem this - it is hard for me to fathom the millions, maybe billions of dollars lost from our economy every year thanks to this crap and the prevailing attitude, "ah ****, it's cheap, just go grab another one" And who takes it in the teeth? You, the small business guy while the dirt bags bringing this crap in all get rich

They deal in volume, will distribute product through ANYONE form Pep Boys to ePay and don't really give a crap about anything but profit margins

Store fronts, vendors, parts houses etc that deal in these sort of goods only do it because they get the stuff for peanuts, kind of like the "1-800-Radiators" business model

So don't feel bad if your supplier had to "eat it' it's all part of the new "global economy" of **** game - they only carry the crap because A. the tremendous margins on it or B. (sometimes) it's the only option available (although this is fairly rare) for a given application, especially on older vehicles

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/5218054/VistaPro_Automotive,_LLC#

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/companydetails/vista-pro-automotive-llc/

Look at the summary details of the bankruptcy; most of their CRAP comes out of the 3rd world

Making an honest living fixing cars has always been hard, nowadays thanks in large part to "free trade" it's become damn near impossibilble as you have experienced

Notice too that the mode of operation used by these holding companies is to buy up, and bank on, a lot of these old American company names that we all trusted for years - putting those names on boxes then filling those boxes with **** from the 3rd world while the actual factories that USED to make the stuff here in the U.S. get shuttered and the wokers get thanked with a pink slip

It's a damn shame nowadays-you almost have to do a forensic investigation on just about everything you install that's labor intensive

Jimmy Earl

Last edited:
Thus, the comment by 15A, "The race to the bottom is on". It's getting more and more difficult to procure parts for these older cars that are worth the time/risk to install them.

Thus, the comment by 15A, "The race to the bottom is on". It's getting more and more difficult to procure parts for these older cars that are worth the time/risk to install them.
I agree with the difficulty part, but it's a self inflicted wound

It's not a "race to the bottom" it's the sheeple buying into the "new world order" "global economy" BS and wanting everything for cheap
I say that because it is becoming more and more difficult to find ANYTHING of quality anymore, not just parts for old cars

Everybody just about is addicted to all of that "cheap" **** and are oblivious to what it's actually costing them in the long run

'Cause it ain't really cheap if you can see beyond your own backyard - the costs of what we have done are enormous let alone the fact that we have put this country at great risk by depending on other folks for just about everything who for the most part hate our guts

That's what happens when you deliberately dismantle your manufacturing base and off shore everything from toohpicks to water pumps............a LOT of toothpaste today is actually made in India now.........now explain that one (you can fill in the blank here Republi**** or Democrap)

Not everyone can work in silcon valley or the "tech sector" or at one of those great "green economy" jobs they keep telling us all about around election time

It's all about money..............just follow the money

It's a sad day when you can't buy a pair of drawers made in the U.S.A.

BUT, it only happens because we let it

Jimmy Earl

Last edited:
Just keep on chewin' that bone!

I wrote MANN today personally; I'll let you know what THEY say about this whole deal

Jimmy Earl

Just giving buzz a bad time. He's working 70 hour weeks. Doesn't have much time to enjoy life. :)

And...I do my part by buying high quality products where ever I can. I do not shop at Walmart or Harbor Freight. The mentality that made Walmart what it is helped to drag the quality of consumer products down in every category.

Just giving buzz a bad time. He's working 70 hour weeks. Doesn't have much time to enjoy life. :)

84 hour weeks right now but we supposedly get 2 days off for xmas unless the world-wide grits shortage expands then all bets are off. :lol:

At work right now but obviously not doing anything.... :omg:

This happened to me last Spring. I thought seam leak at first because of the reports, but my stock is still "German" and I carefully determined the leak was past the seal, not in the can crimp. My conclusion then: I was losing it.

Not sure I was wrong, but y'all are helping me to have second thoughts, especially since it has happened again. In both cases, another 1/4 turn or so seemed to stop the leak.

oil9858.jpg

oil9861.jpg

oil7522.jpg

Well, everything has its day.

Quoted from this thread almost 4 years ago.

Foregoing weekend was a perfect storm of oil changes, so while finishing off another flat of Mann filters, I thought how the trouble has not recurred since. I did notice though, my habit of hand tightening no longer meets the recommended rotation after gasket contact, so I reach for a tool to complete the seating. Scratching my head over why I don't need the tool to loosen the old filter. Just losing my grip, I suppose.;-)

sorry for bumping this clusterf*** of a thread, I thought I'd add my recent experience with Mann W917 from IPD, bought probably 8 months ago.

I installed it and experienced a slight oil weep that ended up down the engine mount and in the splash pan. I removed the filter and cleaned the gasket and mating surface twice and it still slowly leaked. I ended up pulling it again, removing the gasket from its channel on the filter and thoroughly cleaning it all over and applied fresh rotella t6 to the entire gasket, channel and mating surfaces and it doesn't seem to leak any more. Just something to keep in mind. I am thinking there was something under the rubber gasket preventing a complete seal.

I ordered a Mahle OC204 from Amazon last September. Have not installed it but the seam is very even and smooth looking. Came in a blue and white box that says made in Austria. Box looks like its been on the shelf for a long time.

I no longer use the Mann filters because they all seem to develop a minor leak. They are still selling/pushing the old 917 design. I now use the MAHLE OC 204. They work well and are about the same price. I have had zero problems with the Bosch filter. I've never used a Mobile 1 filter. I have pulled a few off cars I bought and none of them were leaking.

I noticed this, but always, wondering if it's the seal material ?
Lando mentioned '3/4 turn after finger tight', but with new products should I just go by 'feel' ?

:ninja:

I agree with the difficulty part, but it's a self inflicted wound

It's not a "race to the bottom" it's the sheeple buying into the "new world order" "global economy" BS and wanting everything for cheap
I say that because it is becoming more and more difficult to find ANYTHING of quality anymore, not just parts for old cars

Everybody just about is addicted to all of that "cheap" **** and are oblivious to what it's actually costing them in the long run

'Cause it ain't really cheap if you can see beyond your own backyard - the costs of what we have done are enormous let alone the fact that we have put this country at great risk by depending on other folks for just about everything who for the most part hate our guts

That's what happens when you deliberately dismantle your manufacturing base and off shore everything from toohpicks to water pumps............a LOT of toothpaste today is actually made in India now.........now explain that one (you can fill in the blank here Republi**** or Democrap)

Not everyone can work in silcon valley or the "tech sector" or at one of those great "green economy" jobs they keep telling us all about around election time

It's all about money..............just follow the money

It's a sad day when you can't buy a pair of drawers made in the U.S.A.

BUT, it only happens because we let it

Jimmy Earl

* If someone's name has a line thru it, does that mean banned or is it something morally worse ?

:oops:

Back