• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 Tuning For Non-Volvo Installation / X1/9 Dallara + K24 Swap

No speed signal is no problem for LH2.4 (you lose overrun fuel cut, but I drove without it for a year or so and never noticed the difference). And there are ways to get the crank signal required. So 2.4 could be a possibility.

Also why the need to tune 2.2 when using it on a smaller motor? It has an airflow meter, and given the smaller engine creates less airflow there will be less fuel injected. With stock injectors and stock fuel pressure you should be running pretty well. From what I've heard getting good ignition timing is often a trickier business.

Ok - good to know the speed signal missing doesn't affect drivability. The reason for tuning is simply to recalibrate for the lower fuel requirements. Bimmer users has stared that they had to pretty much lean out the MAF to the maximum lean to get it right - and that is for a larger displacement motor than mine. I would rather not be in a position where I have no where to go in terms of adjustment. I'm hoping that it will be offset by simply using lower flow injectors.

On that note, have people used later composite body high impedance injectors (like those used for whiteblocks, mustangs, etc) instead of the original style Bosch?

Ok - good to know the speed signal missing doesn't affect drivability. The reason for tuning is simply to recalibrate for the lower fuel requirements. Bimmer users has stared that they had to pretty much lean out the MAF to the maximum lean to get it right - and that is for a larger displacement motor than mine. I would rather not be in a position where I have no where to go in terms of adjustment. I'm hoping that it will be offset by simply using lower flow injectors.

On that note, have people used later composite body high impedance injectors (like those used for whiteblocks, mustangs, etc) instead of the original style Bosch?

When the BMW chaps are talking about this, are they also talking about LH 2.2?

And isn't the very first and most basic thing to do with LH 2.2 is adjust it per these instructions....
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=189266&postcount=1

In the above article, they were adjusted to compensate for the larger injectors. Is this the method the BMW guys are using, if they are talking about 2.2.

This isn't to take away from tuning, but shouldn't this be a first step?

When the BMW chaps are talking about this, are they also talking about LH 2.2?

This isn't to take away from tuning, but shouldn't this be a first step?

I've found a Saab thread on tuning LH2.2, so looks more like I should go that route to avoid all the potential issues and added cost of pulse wheels, EDIS wheels, etc.

Yes, the AMM adjustment is very straightforward, and with the Volvo tool (which I still have from my days @ Volvo in the '80's) is a no-brainer - but, there is a limited window of adjustment. The point is not to end up at the extreme end with no further latitude for adjustment. I'm getting EV1 16.7lb injectors, which will be inbetween the stock Fiat & Volvo flow rate.

The main reason for modding the fuel maps is to shift the entire operating window, so that the median adjustment is still in the 'normal' range for the system as it was intended.

Some of the SAAB guys have modded fuel maps & reprogammed chips, so I'm hoping I can pick their brains on that.

As was suggested here earlier, I ordered a SAAB LH2.2 ECU, as theirs is designed for smaller displacement, so a narrower margin. Apparently theirs also came with the removable chip, unlike the Volvo version.

Anyway, I'm just in gather parts mode now. I have to fabricate/mod a fuel rail to fit the motor/intake, and new lower runners with top mounted injector ports that will accept the later injectors. Stock L-Jet are same as old D-jet - they have a hose connection to the rail, and the phenolic spacer with three oring setup at the base - that mess has to go.

Last edited:
That's a good idea to use a Saab LH2.2 ECU as the volvo lh2.2 ecu's haven't been cracked in the fuel map remapping area... If you read what MrJaybreeze said about it, there's the one map and then the other map and it's real tricky.. Anyway yes there is that program to change the fuel map on the saab 2.2 ECU's. I do have a saab 538 ECU I think if you want it. Turbo one but I've found with the volvo 2.2 ecu's you can use them for turbo or not depending on what chip you put in it. Yes and all the saab ecu's I've taken apart at the junkyard all had the chip and I took it..

The other thing about tuning lh2.2 is the chip you have to program. It's a DIP configuration 24 pin 2732.

It can be a real pain in the ass to get the 2732 chip programmed properly.... It's an old chip design and it takes a real rock steady voltage. I have an old willhelm programmer with external power supply wall rat that's fully adjustable for vcc and tp and all that but it's still can be hard to do if you don't know what the programming voltage is supposed to be for the chip you got. All the 2732 chips can be different depending on who made the chip.. If you don't get the chip programmed properly it can not last very long.. Usually the programming voltage is 21 or so volts compared to the reading voltage which is 12. But can be 15 or 24 depends on chip. Some of those cheap USB programmers might not work with the 2732 chips.. My programmer uses the old parallel printer port.. If running windows XP to program turn off printer spooling.... Critical..

This is the site for all your Saab programming needs. Volvo stuff also.
http://ecuproject.com/index.html

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon

Thanks for the great information & the offer on the ECU. I'll see what the 514 looks like when it arrives & take some pics of the motherboard, etc.

Do you know how to determine the correct voltage based on brand of chip? If I buy Intel chips, for example?

SO, I should be looking at Willem programmers with external voltage supply? I figured USB would be easier, but sounds like that is either not feasible or possibly reliable given the voltage requirement. What about one like this? The documentation in your thread that shows a chip & socket location is only for turbos I presume - not the 24pin eprom for the fuel system? Or is it the same item?

My Toshiba Satellite laptop is a couple years old - I don't think it has a parallel port - I actually only use it for tuning my M4.4 on the wagon - otherwise I'm a Mac user since the mid '90's..

Last edited:
Yes, the AMM adjustment is very straightforward, and with the Volvo tool (which I still have from my days @ Volvo in the '80's) is a no-brainer - but, there is a limited window of adjustment. The point is not to end up at the extreme end with no further latitude for adjustment. I'm getting EV1 19lb injectors, which will be inbetween the stock Fiat & Volvo flow rate.

The main reason for modding the fuel maps is to shift the entire operating window, so that the median adjustment is still in the 'normal' range for the system as it was intended.

Ahhh..... That makes sense.

Some of the SAAB guys have modded fuel maps & reprogammed chips, so I'm hoping I can pick their brains on that.

Jak Stol? I know he did his share so he's another you may want to check in with.

Yes that programmer looks sort of like mine and it also lists the 27c32 as being able to program. As far as what chips and how to program them like intel ones some of those you can find that info on the web otherwise some say printed on the top of the chip what voltage to program at. Otherwise it's a guessing game, but you should be able to find some info one the web about specific chips. I've never had problems reprogramming the stock saab chips. You only really need the one chip if you have an ultraviolet eraser.... You will need to buy one of those if you want to erase a stock chip or any UV chip and reprogram it. I've never ever used the electrically erasable chips ever... But I have glitched and unloopered a few sat cards in the old days.

Can you share the LH22edit? I can't find any active links to it anywhere...

EDIT - can I just use an Ostrich 2.0 with socket booster instead of programming chips? Is there any significant benefit to doing it this way? Can't tell from their site what software would be used, either...

Last edited:
OK. Ordered some (new) Intel 2732a chips and a PCB05 Willem Programmer.

Got the 514 ECU, which is socketed and has a removable chip. Neither the 544 or 554 ECU have anything in the chip location.

Got the 514 bin off the SaabNet forum, and LH22Editor from nickm :)

Here are some Volvo maps, interesting to see the difference between the Volvo and Saab one.
Volvo 591 ECU is a socketed volvo turbo version not sure if the NA got a similar unit.
The bin files are small so it is easy to see/search the difference in them.

There as a guide on how to convert the non socketed ecu around. It is not hard to do.

http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthread.php/726-post-your-Volvo-LH2.2-bins-files-here?

Yeah the guide is on my lh2.2 chips for sale thread on how to add the socket. I sell the stuff to do that for $10 if you buy my chip. When you look at the 591 bin, it's the same as the 541 which is the same as the 518... Did you notice I uploaded most of those volvo 2.2 bins on ecuproject?

Also all the 511 na ECU's I've seen all have the chip but no socket so you just cut the chip out and put in a socket.. Then you can even put in a turbo chip and run it in a turbo... Every 518 turbo ECU I've seen has the chip and socket.. It's the original 2.2 turbo ECU so harder to find sort of like finding a 591. I have found quite a few 541's with the chip and socket stock also.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=226886&highlight=simon

sbabbs - I'm a member on ecuproject, but I can't access any of the files you uploaded over there ; -(

I'm curious where the bin is stored on ECU's that have no chip present? Neither the 544, or 554 Volvo ECU's I have have the chip. EDIT - just saw that it's stored in the processor, on models without memory chip.

I'm glad I bought the Saab 514 ECU - I can easily remove the chip since it has the socket already :-)

A question about using later injectors - I have composite body Bosch 16lb'ers (0280155742), but they are 14.5ohm vs 16.2ohm (listed spec for LH2.2 NA injectors (0280150209). Found this reference chart. Can I use them anyway? Add 1.8ohm resistors? One Saab guy switched out the pintle style for the composite body, but he used 850 injectors (0280155759), which are also 16.ohm.... any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Impedance wise they are high like the stock ones so should work fine in that aspect. That amount difference isn't enough. Long as the four you use are all the same. Let me know if there are any files you need.

Simon i did note it was you. I have sold my 740 so no need any more, just sharing what I have learnt.
I remember burning roms when first working on PC stuff successes rate was not that high even then.
There is some interesting stuff on my 850R ecu on that site.

lookforjoe, They are in a dropbox now.

Impedance wise they are high like the stock ones so should work fine in that aspect. That amount difference isn't enough. Long as the four you use are all the same. Let me know if there are any files you need.

OK - that's good to note. I sent a PM re one Volvo BIN.

lookforjoe, They are in a dropbox now.

Maybe that's why the links don't work...

Thanks for the link to the BINs Nick

Comparison of LH & composite injectors

null_zps138f7a05.jpg

The slot for the retainer in the rail is different offset for all three. I will machine a new groove in the black 16.7lbers to match the LH approx 8.5mm from filter basket tip so that the head is not stressed to fit the spring retaining clip

Problems with the software - got this on install

WillemErrorMessage1_zpsdda1df9a.png

and cannot use any functions such as Read or Close within the program. Have to force quit.

WillemErrorMessage_zpsf531b500.png

On the setup fro programming, I moved the jumpers and DIP switches according to this screenshot, just not sure about the ICSP pins, as there is no jumper for them...

2732WillemSettings_zps223840de.png

Back