• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 headliner - recolor ? pic request

Jack

junkman
I had great luck with SEM interior paint. I got the bug to paint my 245s headliner black, since I have a spare one. Headliner will be coming off anyway to put some sound insulation material on the roof. I might also take off the stock rack and weld up the holes - I need a good excuse to make a full roof wooden rack like volvo use to make.

so any pictures of custom headliners in 245s ?

please no sedans or coupes - that's different.

Curious as well. Looks like this can be easily done in 7's/9's/242's/244's, but I can't think of a way for the 245 other than simply painting it with SEM vinyl/plastic paint.

will be doing this soon
not sure if I should go with charcoal or black

I'm probably going to end up doing my 242 in charcoal. I've had a SAAB or two done in a mousey grey and have liked it.

I'm planning on just bringing my panel to an upholstery guy, I know 245 is different but sure an expert would know what to do with it. That said I was really impressed with the SEM trim paint - but it would take quite a bit of paint to get it done I think, I think I did three coats to get dark red interior pieces covered nicely.

Only reason Im thinking black is because the back of the visors are black, the handles I have are black, the dash is black

I recovered my 854 headliner 5-6 years ago. Used black suade for the fabric and SEM paint for trim, visors etc. Paint has held up great.

I think 2-3 cans should be sufficient

Only reason Im thinking black is because the back of the visors are black, the handles I have are black, the dash is black

I recovered my 854 headliner 5-6 years ago. Used black suade for the fabric and SEM paint for trim, visors etc. Paint has held up great.

I think 2-3 cans should be sufficient

Rest of the upholstery black? I went with grey on previous black leather cars because I was afraid a jet black would just make the inside of the car too dark.

Yeah black leather

blue door cards and blue carpets, car is blue. It was a DL with manual now it's more of a GLT

EDIT: above Im talking about the 245 but the 850 is all black. On the 850 black roof does not make it too dark, but the charcoal SEM paint matches the charcoal interior. Thats why I think on the 245 it would look better in black

I put FattMatt in my '88 244GL but not the roof. It works great. I've heard that the heat will cause it to peel off to easily, causing your headliner to sag? Maybe an expoxy reinforcement while laying it down?

your going to post pictures when your done with this painting project right?

only if it looks good :-P

I put FattMatt in my '88 244GL but not the roof. It works great. I've heard that the heat will cause it to peel off to easily, causing your headliner to sag? Maybe an expoxy reinforcement while laying it down?
i heard that too...
when I laied that stuff down on the floor I made sure everything was cleaned with paint thinner and I used a heat gun to make sure it "bonded" with the metal

3 years later it's still fine in the doors

p1040605m.jpg

p1040654qh.jpg

A little tease
I think I will need two cans to finish the headliner, but before I do that Im removing the roof rack, welding up holes and insulating the inner roof.
also found black handles that are not volvo but look very similar :ninja:

IMG_5392_zps9a92dbb6.jpg

Back