• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MountainMeet 2022-September 21-25

Finally street legal in the 240 with tags and inspection, been putting that off for almost 3 years now.

Still have to tighten up the front wheel bearings, maybe change the oil, and give her a good scrub tomorrow before I hit the road.

I?m trying to leave Wednesday at the crack of dawn. Gonna take 95 to a stop in Charlottesville, VA to unload some speed parts and then slog the rest of the way on 80. Hoping to arrive Wednesday evening.

I was adding fun roads to the trip down, it got up to 13 1/2 hours. Which is certainly doable, but with all the fun roads at the back end of that... I just decided to do most of the interstate driving on Wed, stay in a hotel, and then finish it of with 5 1/2-ish hours of fun on Thu.

I?m trying to leave Wednesday at the crack of dawn. Gonna take 95 to a stop in Charlottesville, VA to unload some speed parts and then slog the rest of the way on 80. Hoping to arrive Wednesday evening.
For an extra 10 google-minutes i would avoid dc to richmond like the plague. Nothing good ever happens on 95.
If you go to carlisle, then front royal, then charlottesville, you will avoid all the shens. 4:40 on 95 at night will turn into 5:50 during the day. Slow, race, wrecks, stoppage. Repeat infinitely. 81 will have left lane lemmings next to truckers, but it will be relaxed and nice to look at.

I?m taking a similar route but the farthest eastern one around dismal swamp to avoid 58 west from norfolk. stopping overnight in mooresville so i don?t have to pitch a tent in the dark after an 11 hour (minimum) drive. I can?t leave until 10am. Hopefully the 9:20 dr visit goes well.

I'm ready for this! I mean my car is not ready, but I'm ready to hangout in the mountains with some similarly weird car folk and enjoy the perfect weather.

Not looking forward to the 9hr car ride. Yarr! I was going to split it up and drive some on Weds and some on Thurs, but I dug myself into a vast hole trying to do proper maintenance. The rear wheel bearing was kinda getting sloppy, so I ordered a new one last weekend. I just got the old one out only to find that the replacement, which shows as the correct part number, doesn't fit. I just ordered 3 more from three different manufacturers trying to shotgun with the hopes that one of them is correct. They won't be here till Weds evening, so I'll probably be up late AF slapping it back together. So I won't get the 50 mile shakedown run that I'd originally planned.

Everytime I watch Roadkill I'm like 'How'd they not plan this better to avoid all the halfassery and do it the right way?' Now I get it. I've got 5 new injectors in a 6 cylinder, two new rear calipers, but only one came with hardware and my new E code headlights showed up broken. Actually, there was something wrong with almost every order that I placed.

We're sitting pretty on prep. I took Monday and today off, which has made things way easier.

Got a clean-up shopping trip tomorrow morning, then it's off to the lodge.

A reminder:

For the first timers: cell service is nonexistent at the lodge itself, and once you get off the interstate, coverage in the whole region is spotty at best.

Use this location for Google Maps navigation: https://goo.gl/maps/zAgfSdevT3YpyHwv9

Apple maps users: Idk good luck, don't go to the Balsam Lake Lodge in Wisconsin.

I strongly recommend you download offline maps for this general area:

3D9Lmm3l.png

If you need someone to be able to get in touch with you, give them the landline number to the lodge: 828-293-9922

You cannot make long distance calls from the lodge. Your boo thang/mother/father/partner/cat will have to call you, or bring a long distance calling card.

You will not be able to receive texts, calls, or emails at the lodge. Be sure the people that give a sh*t about you understand this and tell them not to worry. Alternatively, you should've probably started training carrier pigeons like a year ago.

Cell service is available about a 5 minute drive from the lodge, at this location: https://goo.gl/maps/Hz3hw1w7WnA3dM5s5

Gas is available not too far from the lodge, but "not too far" is still like an hour round trip. I recommend filling up when you start to hear banjo music.

For an extra 10 google-minutes i would avoid dc to richmond like the plague. Nothing good ever happens on 95.
If you go to carlisle, then front royal, then charlottesville, you will avoid all the shens. 4:40 on 95 at night will turn into 5:50 during the day. Slow, race, wrecks, stoppage. Repeat infinitely. 81 will have left lane lemmings next to truckers, but it will be relaxed and nice to look at.

I?m taking a similar route but the farthest eastern one around dismal swamp to avoid 58 west from norfolk. stopping overnight in mooresville so i don?t have to pitch a tent in the dark after an 11 hour (minimum) drive. I can?t leave until 10am. Hopefully the 9:20 dr visit goes well.

I knew better than to think 95 was a good idea. You?re right, it?s never a good idea. Thank you for the reminder!

I even took 29 all the way from dc to charlotte once to avoid it. Not as seamless as it once was, but it was a good ride with a bmw on a trailer.
Also, the blue ridge parkway from charlottesville to Roanoke is magnificent.

trailer is hooked up, we have a late last minute re-addition to the pack (Tom, who was going to go home for the weekend instead but decided to retire the second transmission in his 300 this past weekend). final load out early tomorrow morning, looking to get on the road 9ish for a mid-ish afternoon arrival time.

slid back into mgm far faster than the drive up took. somewhere after the last fuel stop and the driveway the airfilter decided to fall off, but it didn't go anywhere, and I lost a piece of bumper trim somewhere along the way as well.

Finally arrived back in Davis, glad to have met so many people I never would have otherwise.
Thinking of how to get my 242 nice enough to roadtrip out next year.

Back