• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rusty 242GT project

Have you considered aq151/aq171?

me and LT owned a pair aq171 for awhile but we sold them both on. this was just after i rebuilt the engine in the 244 and didnt figure on doing another engine build anytime soon :roll:

they were early ones with skinny rods (ok easy to swap) but from memory the crank was centre thrust. from what i hear centre thrust cranks dont do so well with heavy clutches. last i heard one of them was still chilling out at spacs house doing nothing.

finding an aq171/aq151 is hard enough, let alone finding a late one with a rear thrust bearing crank. makes a 93+ redblock look common, and im having trouble enough finding on of those :roll:

dont think the extra 200cc would make enough of a difference to be worth the extra effort and money, the 2.3L of a b230 should be able to make more than enough power.

so in response to your question, yes i have thought about it :-P

Looks like you sure have thought about it and I reckon you are right in the extra effort and money could prolly do as good things or better when applied to tweaking a late b230.

man, i feel your pain with the rust repair, my 244 has just been a task of finding, "just one more spot" finally almost done though, i need to put up a resto thread. are you going to stitch welding the seems while you have the thing torn down, i know i am.

keep up the work man!

man, i feel your pain with the rust repair, my 244 has just been a task of finding, "just one more spot" finally almost done though, i need to put up a resto thread. are you going to stitch welding the seems while you have the thing torn down, i know i am.

keep up the work man!

yeah interior is mostly stitch/seam welded, bit more still left to do around the back seat area.

speaking of "just one more spot" found some little holes in the right hand sill. :roll: welded up in the past but not painted on the back side inside the sill. welded up and painted now. also loaded up the seam between the sill and rear quarter with rust converter and blasted it deep into the seem using compressed air to try and kill it all off. didn't seem to be any serious rust in seem, just surface rusting. the area has now been filled as well as the sill was bent slightly in the region.

DSC02511.jpg

after removing all the heavy black paint from the right hand sill i found it wasn't all that straight so i marked a straight line with a bit of tap and did a bit of trimming. also found the hole sill curved downwards about 5mm at the back but shouldn't be noticeable and not much i could do about it anyway.

DSC02519.jpg

left hand side rear quarter is all primed up. laid a guide coat down since taking this pic. should all come up pretty good. i know there is a small patch that will require a bit of filler still. found a small pin hole at the bottom of the rear quarter just as i was preparing for priming. welded it up but didn't have enough time to finish it completely and still have time to do the priming that day.

DSC02509.jpg

tomorrow ill be back out there working on it again, hope to get the right sill and right side door jam ready for priming.

im envious of the fact you have some primer laid down, lol, i am about 3/4th of the way into the battle with undercoating, and it looks like i may actually win. my wife spent about 4 hours under there while i was stitching the other end, rolled out on my creeper ( furniture dolly ) and proclaimed that it was !@#!ing horrid, made a sad face, and rolled back till under where she remained until she had to go get stuff out of her eyes.
horrible job, but at least i have a helper:-D
it is her car though.... haha.

i look forward to more updates!

im envious of the fact you have some primer laid down, lol, i am about 3/4th of the way into the battle with undercoating, and it looks like i may actually win. my wife spent about 4 hours under there while i was stitching the other end, rolled out on my creeper ( furniture dolly ) and proclaimed that it was !@#!ing horrid, made a sad face, and rolled back till under where she remained until she had to go get stuff out of her eyes.
horrible job, but at least i have a helper:-D
it is her car though.... haha.

i look forward to more updates!

:-( the novelty of laying down primer doesnt last long. i just want to hurry up and lay down some colour.

i havent even started the undercoating... im not looking forward to it. damn i need me to find a girl to do it for me :lol:

ive been playing around with some colour ideas:
yellow with blue stripes -
49452-938052YELLOW2.jpg

orange with grey stripes - the orange looks pretty awesome but grey stripes mean i have blue saas bucket seats and blue silicone radiator hoses to sell (which might not work with vertical engine anyway)...
49452-938052YELLOW3.jpg

leaning towards the yellow at the moment. ive got a set of yellow doors from a 244 i scrapped so i think ill try and get some vinyl offcuts to see what it will look like in reality. grey stripes is also a possibility with the yellow.

had to put a thin layer of filler at the rear of the sill near where the rear quarter was all ****ed up. also had to do a thin layer along the bottom part of the sill as there was a fold line.
DSC02527.jpg

priming in progress, all primed now.
DSC02528.jpg

also filled a few places where the sill was spot welded on the outside of the sill. Maybe got a little carried away and filled in all the dips from spot welding around the door jam that would be visible as well.
DSC02541.jpg

cleaned up my patches, surface rust and rust pitting around windscreen
DSC02538.jpg

all filled now.
DSC02536.jpg

spent ages cleaning the grill at the base of the windscreen. had to remove every spec of paint to get to rust that was starting underneath. all primed up now.

just need to do some more sanding around the windscreen and around the drivers door jam and they can be completely primed up. roof is mostly sanded, just need to sand around the gutters.

Well there was a 50% off on 3M products sale so i stocked up. other than the top coat, i have way more paint than i need for this project now.
DSC02578.jpg

Drivers door jam ready for priming
DSC02579.jpg

and done
DSC02582.jpg

roof ready for priming
DSC02590.jpg

and done
DSC02595.jpg

stripped down the front end and hopefully found the last major rust to repair. Couple holes at the front of the chassis rail, going to remove the end plate off the chassis to be able to patch it up. ill ditch the battery tray while im at it.

i will repair and paint this section but wont do the rest of the engine bay at this point, im far to likely to damage the paint while mocking the engine up.
DSC02586.jpg

slam panel support was rust all the way through
DSC02585.jpg

air conditioning condenser literally disintegrated as i pulled it out :lol:
DSC02583.jpg

This is what motivates me to get the car done every day :)
DSC02597.jpg

Shouldn't be all that long now till the shell is all done. To do:
*Sand and prime passengers side door jam
*Finish and clean up repairs around rear bumper
*sand, fill, and prime area around rear bumper and boot lid
*sand, fix dodgy repair, fill and prime passengers side sill
*fix rust around battery/chassis rail area

Wow this thing is looking great, you have some top notch skills! I need to learn these skills if my rusty 242 GT is ever going to get done! Looks great, keep it up and I look forward to what is to come!

slowly making progress, going to get really stuck in again soon.

finished welding in patches above the rear bumper:
DSC02599.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

patch section i made up for the hole shown above
DSC02601.jpg

got it all pretty smooth and put on a bunch of filler but not all that thick
DSC02603.jpg

pulled the plate of the front of the left chassis rail. luckily only a small section in the front top corner is rusted out. the rest of the rust is just surface rust.
DSC02602.jpg

trimmed in preperaton for patching
DSC02605.jpg

been working on cleaning up my repairs in this area. lip around the hole looks perfect now, not bad considering it was all rusted and i built it back up with weld.
DSC02607.jpg

ive been playing around with some colour ideas:
yellow with blue stripes -
49452-938052YELLOW2.jpg

The yellow with stripes makes it look like an MFP car! :)

Both rear guards have been rolled as much as i could and trimmed back as far as the spot welds (marked in blue in the image). Unfortunately hard to show in a pic how much they are rolled.

DSC02633.jpg

Both rear quarters were guide coated and sanded down, had to fix up a few bits but now they are 99% ready for top coat. Will completely finish them this week. I am 100% happy with how it has turned out, its looking perfect.

I have also guide coated and started sanding the roof. all the top part is sanded and didn't find anything that needed correcting.

Ive also started working on the boot lid, stripped it completely and took to it with the panel beating hammers and straightened out several dents.

DSC02640.jpg

DSC02645.jpg

Bit above the rear bumper is mostly done, just need to sand down the guide coat but dont expect to need to make any changes.
DSC02643.jpg

front of the chassis rail is all patched up, rust treated and painted on the inside. I have also removed the battery tray as i will be going with a boot mounted battery. I removed it with little damage and kept it and may use it on my 242DL that has had its battery tray removed.
DSC02649.jpg

Im going to go with ecode headlights, the round headlight front end will be saved for my 242DL that is missing all its front panels. Got later front guards and apron out of my spares supplies, just need to pick up some headlight support panels.

DSC02651.jpg

Last edited:
damn winter is really killing my motivation to be working out in the garage to early in the morning and in the evenings during the week

Not all is lost however, Ive been spending a bit more time in the warm inside designing my adapter between a BW55 bell housing, a Supra 5 speed W58 transmission and a B230 mounted vertical.

The design is now more of less done and should allow a clutch fork/external slave setup. I considered going an internal slave cylinder but it looks like it would be far more expensive and probably wouldn't be any easier to setup. just need to double check all the dimensions and the adapter can be made.

DSC02653.jpg

I have been keeping my eye out for awhile now and finally found the engine i was looking for, B230FX with oil squirters.

only problem was it was in a car at the wreckers and as it was a weekend there was no staff on the operate the fork lift to help pull it. ended up pulling in with nothing but hand tools and another TBer, transporting it 100m on a really dodgy trolley and lifting it into the boot of my 244. engine cranes are for pussies :lol:

335 411km on the car it came from but there is no noticeable wear in the bores, got to love oil squirters.

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02656.jpg

Also picked up a nice crack free dash (hard to find in Australia). Should be easier to set up a nice gauge cluster than the early dash. Damn was it annoying to pull at the wreckers as being a 92 car everything was held together with torx screws and there were a number of minor changes compared to earlier versions of this dashboard that im used to working on.

DSC02657.jpg

Back