• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 B230F Slight Tophat Waterpump Leak Question

Michael92

Hi I have a 1993 Volvo 240 with the b230f and I have a slight, very slight water pump leak problem from the top. I had about 5000 miles on the new waterpump when I noticed it. The pump is wet but no visual loss of coolant in the reservior. I have tried a number of things since to remedy it. I have first changed the gasket on my old waterpump with a professional swedish kit from FCP and when that didn't work I bought a new Hepu waterpump and it seems like it is getting wet again ever so slightly. The gasket looks perfect not pertruding out the top there, and everytime I took off the WP I thought the mating surfaces were nice and clean. I guess I am having an issue with the mating surfaces? any suggestions?

Best,

Last edited:
Very common. While HEPU pumps are great IMO, their top seals fail way earlier than the pumps. You can buy a genuine Volvo seal separate and they last much longer. I always use some additional sealant in case there is pitting on the head surface.
And as posted above- you gotta make sure the pump is wedged up hard against the head.

Are you putting "upward pressure" on the WP while you tighten?
And as posted above- you gotta make sure the pump is wedged up hard against the head.

There's only so much "pressure" you can put on the pump before the studs bottom against the 2 oval "installation step 1" holes. Try to force it farther and you'll either break the studs, or the round "final position" holes won't line up with the threaded holes on the block, and the bolts won't go in.

It's all designed to squish the seal *this much*... enough to seal, but not enough to crush and split the seal. That assumes that the rubber compound is right (often isn't on cheap aftermarket seals), and the oval holes are the exact correct distance from the mounting face (might not be).

pumpy.gif

Last edited:
I took some rough cellphone pics sorry about the angles there but this is the 3rd time I will trying to solve this issue. Note that the top seal is not wrinkled or sticking out and I did pry up on the snout of it as that is the only way to get the top bolt in. I did do a headgasket also 5000 miles ago and the head is from a different car but I had the head professionally resurfaced and a valve job done on it by a reputable shop

Pics are here: https://ibb.co/album/SsQtpF

I tried putting them on here but when I do they post MASSIVE and just ruins the thread. Hope you guys can access the pics by the link above easily. I took three pictures.

I am running Zerex G05 which is gold, and I am not sure why the fluid in the leak is looking brown?

Last edited:
haha! The pics were HUGE!!!! So big that finding the "edit" button was a chore! Thank you :) you know, I think what we are seeing is in fact oil from the Valve cover!! I reused a 5000 mile Elring Valve cover gasket because it was nice and soft and I think I am leaking Castrol from up there! Good chance I think. The leak is slight so it is a bit hard to see and I am getting wetness from above! I'll replace the valve cover gasket and clean everything up with brake clean and see if the wetness persists!

Back